Don't Open 'Til Doomsday!!!

The strength Ive developed from working on my grip so hard for the past few months is really really noticeable when Im rolling. Strong guys cant pull there wrist free from me anymore. When I grab hold of someones gi I dont even think about, its part of my hand, lol. My grip endurance is insane from the rock climbing, my hands dont come close to be fatigued when rolling now. Thats not a huge deal for practice but I always blow out my grip when competing(nerves probably) and I dont have to worry about that.

My overall body strength has just increased lately. Bigger guys who used to muscle me around feel half the strength they did a year ago.
I dont lift just to be able to lift more metal. I lift so I can manipulate another human body easily. To see my hard work paying off on the mat is a good feeling.

I noticed similar things when I started doing, although limited compared to you, grip training.

- Very long search and rescue last night. Bushwacking through the woods at night with a compass and map. Pack test for controlled burns in NY the day before which was a 2 mile walk(no running) in a 25-lb pack in less than 30 minutes. I made it in 29:23. Dead last. Damn my stubby legs. I was exhausted today to say the least and just needed to put something overhead. kept it short and sweet

Ahh the pack test, I had to do one of those when I worked a seasonal position with the National Park Service.

We had to do 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45lb pack. It wasn't too tough for me, I finished 5+ minutes ahead of the deadline, but damn I was sore for days. Walking that fast is an unnatural movement.

Noticed the hex "blob" has a sloped side and a flat side kinda like a real blob.

tearing my uncle didnt believe I could tear a full deck
56 cards, initial tear 1/4" through, readjusted hands 2 or 3 times to finish, not very pretty

30.5lb hex pinching thumb on sloped side deadlifts
R x 3 1/2 L x 4 1/2
R x 5 L x 5
R x 4 1/2 L x 3 1/2
R x 5 L x 5
R x 3 1/2 L x 4
wanted 5 x 5... still getting used to the weight.

5 chins, 5 pullups, explosive, chest hit bar so hard each rep squat rack moved.

one arm chins
3/4 chin, not from lockout x 1 each arm

CoC #2 singles
R x 3 full closes, 2 within 1/8"
L x 1 full close, 4 within 1/4"

2.5" DB rows
75 x 10
90 x 5
thumb was shot

I got really excited today because of the hex "blob", haha. I dont ever train so much grip in one session.

workout highlight
my girl pulled 185 for a single, BW 120

BW 166

warmup
1/4 mile run in converse + weak coffee.

deadlift
135 x 5 speed
225 x 5 speed
315 x 3 felt heavy
365 x 3 felt light
415 x 1 x 10 + belt, 5 minute rests
pulled fairly quick, form wasnt to bad, I feel capable of at least a 445lb single

rack pull lockouts 1" above knee
405 x 2
465 x 2
475 x 2
495 x 1
505 x 1
only thing moving the weight was the contraction my glutes

40lb old York blob DBs = 80lbs
walking lunges x 10 each leg
bulgarian squats x 5 each leg
leg curls, belly on bench, DB in between feet x 10

ab wheel
x 25 + 5 negatives from standing

tearing
56 cards, initial tear almost halfway through 2 or 3 hand adjustments to finish, ugly

I was on Long Island for this workout and had to rush it to start heading back upstate to New Paltz. Downed a protein shake right after and didnt get to eat for a few hours. Eventually stopped at a Burger King on the thru way. Downed a triple Whopper, fry and onion rings. Loved every second of it.

Had a disapointing grip workout before BJJ class.

warmed up with light wrist rollering and lifting easy, sanded 30lb hex block.

Picked the 30lb blob up a few times with left hand. Couple of partials with right hand.

Mix of lifts with 30lb hex and deads with sledge hammer. Front and back.

Did a little back and forth levering with sledge hammer.

Hands felt weak. Didnt get into it.

BJJ meeting

went over basic armbar from guard, then triangle if partner pulls arm free.
next up was an awsome triangle set up.
person on bottom would sit up and go for basic kimura sweep, top guy would post arm being attacked behind them, bottom guy would fall back pulling neck of top guy and kick leg around posted arm into triangle.
Again, a very useful high percentage move. Brian is a good instructor.

Started with a bunch of beginner sin my guard, lots of sweeps, armbars and kimuras.
225lb blue belt started in my open guard. He eventually passed after 3 or 4 minutes of me attempting the "old school" sweep and other half guard sweeps.

Rolled with Brian twice. Started in his guard both times. Got tapped within 25 seconds both times, lol. He worked a variation of a rubber guard that I didnt know how to defend and got me in an omaplata first time and then an arm bar.

Sipping on Dead Guy Ale.
Time for some buzzed algebra homework.

At work

CoC grippers
#1 x 10
#2 x 1 + 3 second hold x 2, forced closes with left hand
#2.5 x 1 foced closed + 3 second hold x 2
#1.5 x 5
#1 x 10

20' rope + 20lb vest, sit start
once up and down x 1 x 5

Gripper work and rope climbing was all randomly combined and threw in a half a dozen or so muscle up singles on rings.
All done over my 6 hour shift.

Muscle ups are getting much easier.

I need to organize my grip training. Its all been random and fun and I have been making some progress but I think some order is in order.

Forgot to mention I campused a V3 on the 45 degree bouldering wall. BAM!

This a name Ive been using since I was 13 for screen names, email accounts etc. Its actually the name of a BMX "crew" I rode with for like 8 years.
I dont even know why I used the other name.

Went to the gym wmeaning to just bench. When we got there I had an urge to try box squats for the first time.

box squats used a bench, squats might have beena little higher than parallel
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5 first time Ive had 315 on my back in months
315 x 2
I liked em. Emphasis on hamstrings. Just wantted to get a feel for em. Didnt wanna go to hard n heavy.

bench
bar x 20
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 3 x 5
135 x 10 speed
bench felt strong today

standing one arm DB press
55 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 3
55 x 5
I shredded my labrum and roator cuff in my right shoulder, which happens to be my good arm, a few years ago. I guess the injury finally caught up with me because today was the first day pressing felt heavier on my right side.

sledge levering
side to side from a few different heights up the handle, low volume

random levering with 5lb bar while sitting down at the computer. came up with a few postions I havent seen or tried yet.

At work

muscle ups on rings with kip
x 5 pr
x a few dozen over the course of my 6 hour shift
finally found the cheat kipping groove.

got home did a quick grip workout

30lb blob
x half a dozen or so full lifts both hands, thumb on hard side
x 2 face lifts, thumb on flat part
x 2 clean with left hand
x bunch of full lifts, thumb on easy side

juggling with 22.5lb chrome cylinder barbell head
pinky lifts, ring finger lifts etc.

my upper body is shot. Triceps are extremly sore. elbows achy from benching and the muscle up didnt help

monster energy drink + 5 minute walk on treadmill slight incline.... I keep getting lazier.

deadlift
135 x 5 speed
225 x 5 speed
315 x 5 speed
385 x 3 x 6 kept pretty good form on all reps, decent speed too
315 x 3 from deficit, touching tops of feet, got really tired so called it quits

shrugs DOH
315 x 3
225 x 10

power clean, high hang power clean, hang clean complex
135 x 1 x 2 just messin around

GHR my girl holding my ankles
x 10 x 2

hyper extension
50lb bar on back x 5 just messin around

hanging leg raises feet touching hands
front x 10
side to side x 10

one arm pullup held for 2 seconds at top, not from lock out at bottom, 3/4 ROM
x 1 x 2

saw way to much funny shit today at the gym. Guy pulling up what was little sleeve he had on his sleeveless shirt to check out his shoulders every 5 minutes. Another guy pulling up his beater to check out his abs over and over after doing crunches.

I was using bumper plates for the deads and they looked huge, almost didnt fit on the bar. Some guy was going around asking random people if they were lifting that and making a big deal. Eventually everyone in the palce was looking at the weight and commenting. When I stepped up to pull I heard alot of "thats whos using that, haha" (Im not very big). Got a video of a bunch of people staring at me. Ill post it later. It was fucking creepy. Seriously though 385 is baby weight haha.

I dont know why but todays workout just didnt feel fulfilling. I think its because Ive been 5 x 5ing every other week and today I switched it up to 3 x 6. Less volume feels like less work maybe.
My speed off the floor is improving.

30 lb blob
thumb on easy side x 8 lifts
hard side x 10
hard side, lift + hold til failure x 4 alternating hands
face lift x 0

22.5 lb chrome cylindrical DB head"conditioning block weight"
ring pinky holds
lots of single finger holds, all fingers
juggling
hula hooping
didnt put weight down for about 5 minutes

After BJJ

tearing
60 card deck. Ugly tear. Took almost a minute to finish. Initial tear got 1/8 through. Readjusted hands half a dozen times. Ugh

6lb sledge hammer levering
side to side x 24 choked up pretty far, challenging for later reps
front raise x 24 ^^^
back raises x 24 ^^^
side to side choked further back x 6 nothing left in tank
front x 18 ^^^
back x 18^^^
side to side x 16 choked to same distance as first set
front x 4 choked to original set, no rest x 10 choked further x 15 choked further
back x ^^^
side to x alot, choked very far up

No rest between sets.

More volume than normal for a levering workout. Felt like I should post a grip workout with some detail for once.

Gotta get serious with the grip stuff. This all feels so random and chaotic.

I do grip work almost daily. Every other day I do something different. Yesterday being blob pinching, today levering, tomarrow may be Rolling Thunder or wrist roller, next day grippers etc. Its all over the place.

Im almost afraid to post right now.

Snowed in and bored as hell.

started working with the 30lb blob but it just wasnt happening today. 8 full lifts with left hand 1 with my right...?

grippers
#1 x 15
#1.5 x 10R, 7 + 3 forced closes L
#2 x 1R, forced close L
#2.5 x 1 x 2 force close + two second hold
#2 x 1 force close + two second hold
#1 x 15R, 7L + eight forced closes

rubber band extensor work... high volume

They must not have a sense of humor at climbing gyms either. Good luck with your training.

Its hard to tell if someones goofin around or just being a dick on the web. If you were goofin than its all good.
Thanks alot.

I'll still be your friend, east.

haha, thanks.

Went to the gym pretty early right after eating breakfast. Didnt feel so great.

warmed up my shoulder with some 10lb DB complexes

bench press felt real weak
bar x 20 form work
135 x 5 same
155 x 5
185 x 4 + failed 5th rep
185 x 3 x 4
135 x 10 paused reps, form work

DB bench press
75 x 5

had to run to work

at work

-traversed gym once
-flashed a V4 on 45 degree bouldering wal
-worked on a V3 and V4 on bouldering wall for almost an hour
-worked on a v6 on 30 degree wall, lots of open handed/sloper holds, got all the moves seperately but couldnt link it all up
-couple of half one arm chins on rings
-couple of muscle up while teaching kids proper form and working on my own on rings
-campused a V0 loop on the bouldering wal without matching holds
-did a chin with a 95lb kid on my back on rings
-did a few perfect 2-5 second front levers, they instantly made my stomach sore

all over the course of 7 hour shift

I caught the climbing bug all over again. Im going to get back down to 160lbs and climb harder starting tomarrow. Im going to traverse the gym 10-20 times a day for a week. By the next week if I dont cheat on my diet Ill be back down to 165 at least, 2 weeks 160lbs.

BW 168, BF is gotta be below 9%

Back