Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really too bad. For real, the only time the pub gets going Is if Jimmy fucks someone's shit, or we are finding out what we're doing for the weekend.

I'll be having my final tests for becoming a cop on Tuesday. Multiple choice stuff on a PC, psych evaluation and then the sports test. I hope I don't fuck up the stupid sports test...

Good luck, dude. It's a dangerous and thankless job. I have much respect for the boys in blue.

It's really too bad. For real, the only time the pub gets going Is if Jimmy fucks someone's shit, or we are finding out what we're doing for the weekend.

Well, I'll try to get the ball rolling with a new topic for discussion.

So guys, I'm curious. What motivates you to train? What gets you up early in the morning or battle through traffic during rush hour or keep yourself awake in the twilight hours just to get a training session in?

I've been training for about 13-14 years now, and my incentives to train have varied through the years e.g. I was obese as a child, I wanted more strength for BJJ, I wanted to look aesthetic for the ladies (hey, come on, I'm just being real here).

But now training has become so ingrained in my life that my life would feel somewhat empty and devoid of meaning without it. And I mean this with a non-depressing sentiment. Nowadays, I do it as a form of therapy and a way to keep my attitude in check. Honestly, I can't think of anything that has humbled me more than the iron.

Everytime I miss a lift, I can hear the bar telling my mind to quit being a fickle bitch. It's a true love-and-hate relationship.

Yeah, I'm fucking mental. I know.

I have a lot on my plate so training is sparse, but the one thing that matovates me is that my sons and now daughter get to see their dad continuing to improve himself. Plus I never want to be weaker than my sons, and finally I want to crush any boy who comes near my daughter.

What motivates you to train?.

I've explained it by saying that I don't need to be the strongest guy in the room wherever I go, but it would be nice to be in the top three.

In a nutshell, I have more self confidence when I'm strong, better self esteem, I'm more resistant to injury, more useful to others (pretty sure I can lift my end of that couch, yeah), my clothes fit nicer, wife likes the buns, I'm generally happier since I have an outlet for any aggression or frustration, and I have positive goals to attain.

Lifting is a multiple win-win in a dozen ways, and then some. It even gives me something to talk about on teh internets. And there's a few bonus ones:

-- (Your typically disrespectful) younger people have more respect for me. Some of my 21-year-old daughter's friends even bat their eyelashes at me.
-- People underestimate me mentally. It's fun when people think I'm a dumb gym rat sometimes. I can surprise them just by speaking coherently.
-- I have focus. No matter what goes on today, I can visualize my successful squat set at the end of the day and "re-center" myself.

There's very few better things I've done for myself in my life than lifting. I hope I can always do it.

I enjoy lifting and the benefits gained from it. I also like having a hobby that doesn't really depend on anyone else to turn up, like you do with martial arts etc.

Well I'm finally having a lot of fun. That's big. The community I get to train is great.

I also like to stay in good enough shape so that i could work hard for a few weeks, compete, and not get mangled and embarrassed.

There's the day to day competitiveness of it that keeps me operating at a certain bare minimum.

Oh, and I drink less

I gotta say, @Dan O you're progress out of the gym has been quite inspirational as well. Just sayin'!

I gotta say, @Dan O you're progress out of the gym has been quite inspirational as well. Just sayin'!

Thanks bud!

Bro we have a property walk through with the building owners tomorrow morning. With our primary investor.

One day closer!

Can you expand on this? I'm thinking it involves ladies....but I could be way off.

I was being very serious. Dan O has come a long way since sleeping in his truck or in parks. He's been pretty determined to succeed in a pretty shitty environment, that is coaching. I think he's done the f13 proud, and will definitely be a HOF member here!

He's a stand up guy, who it appears has worked his ass off to get to where he is.

I have a lot on my plate so training is sparse, but the one thing that matovates me is that my sons and now daughter get to see their dad continuing to improve himself. Plus I never want to be weaker than my sons, and finally I want to crush any boy who comes near my daughter.

I don't have any kids right now, but I've always thought that when I do, I would want to encourage them to participate in martial arts and weight training for discipline and self defense. And of course, I would set an example for them by participating in those activities myself.

This really struck a nerve with me, because my dad wasn't a good father figure or someone whom I looked up to while I was growing up. He never encouraged me to lift or train martial art. As a matter of fact, it quite was the opposite; he was a very egotistic, insecure little man who was filled with negativity and petty jealousy towards other people.

At my BJJ gym back in LA, I was friends with this amazing guy who would bring his son along to train with him. The father and son bond was very strong, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't envious of said bond. I would always tell him that he was good father for setting an example for his son, and likewise, I would remind his son to never take the opportunity to train with his dad for granted.

I've explained it by saying that I don't need to be the strongest guy in the room wherever I go, but it would be nice to be in the top three.

In a nutshell, I have more self confidence when I'm strong, better self esteem, I'm more resistant to injury, more useful to others (pretty sure I can lift my end of that couch, yeah), my clothes fit nicer, wife likes the buns, I'm generally happier since I have an outlet for any aggression or frustration, and I have positive goals to attain.

Lifting is a multiple win-win in a dozen ways, and then some. It even gives me something to talk about on teh internets. And there's a few bonus ones:

-- (Your typically disrespectful) younger people have more respect for me. Some of my 21-year-old daughter's friends even bat their eyelashes at me.
-- People underestimate me mentally. It's fun when people think I'm a dumb gym rat sometimes. I can surprise them just by speaking coherently.
-- I have focus. No matter what goes on today, I can visualize my successful squat set at the end of the day and "re-center" myself.

There's very few better things I've done for myself in my life than lifting. I hope I can always do it.

I can also relate to this. It's definitely boosted my confidence and self-esteem, but at the same time humbled me so that I don't strut around the gym thinking I'm hot shit. In my old days, I was somewhat like that, but I lacked perspective - I saw guys who were bigger and stronger than me that were reserved, mild mannered, and quite intelligent. Grizzled old timers who were in the game for such a long time that nothing fazes them anymore. Now I'm kind of feeling that way myself too.

Oh, as a dude who occasionally has anger management issues, weightlifting is my outlet for releasing aggression and anger. LOL.

I enjoy lifting and the benefits gained from it. I also like having a hobby that doesn't really depend on anyone else to turn up, like you do with martial arts etc.

And the less people present in the gym, the better for me. I prefer to train alone and in silence.

Well I'm finally having a lot of fun. That's big. The community I get to train is great.

I also like to stay in good enough shape so that i could work hard for a few weeks, compete, and not get mangled and embarrassed.

There's the day to day competitiveness of it that keeps me operating at a certain bare minimum.

Oh, and I drink less

Lifting deterred me from taking drugs, becoming an alcoholic, and gorging on junk food everyday. It's amazing how it can have many positive benefits to other aspects in your life.

Different times in my life meant a different kind of motivation for my lifting.
When i was younger it was for aesthetics and women.
When i got older it was for mma, women and aesthetics.
Then i got a little older and it was bodybuilding, women and job.
Now I'm old it's powerlifting, less about aesthetics and just for health and well-being.

Right now i want to get stronger, keep a healthy bodyweight and gain a moderate total at mediocre strength levels.
Powerlifting is a hobby for me, less about being competitive with other people and more about improving myself. Although i said i don't care about being competitive, i do have a competitive nature in me so I still want to be strong enough that im not thr weakest guy on the platform and i at least look like i belong there.
Yannowotimsayinfam?

For me I have found a great community that is supportive. There is also the challenge of dealing with some pretty weak-ass ego-fucks in this sport. You learn to weed those guys out after you meet them.

It has given me a purpose in life, as lame as that seems. But in the next few years and months you'll see why!

For me I have found a great community that is supportive...

Oh yeah, I can't believe I neglected to mention this. What a great group of people, many of which would literally give you the shirt off their back. I gotta post a picture:

JL2ujxZ.jpg

This is me (2013), walking away from the camera after hitting a PR deadlift for attempt three, my last lift of the day. My buddy Chris is done lifting for the day, smiling, wearing the gray hoodie. On a knee on the floor is Rob, a direct competitor of mine -- same age, same weight -- who struggled on the bench that day and just saw me go ahead by 20kg with that PR deadlift. He's up next. He knows that he's going to lose to me today, after that deadlift. He's reaching out a hand to congratulate me on my lift.

That's the spirit of a powerlifting meet at every one I've attended: A close-knit, small community of people who just want everyone to do their best, stay safe and healthy, and succeed. The competition is fierce but not contentious. No one wishes for another person to fail. Everyone is kind and helpful and compliments you on your performance.

Oh yeah, I can't believe I neglected to mention this. What a great group of people, many of which would literally give you the shirt off their back. I gotta post a picture:

JL2ujxZ.jpg

This is me (2013), walking away from the camera after hitting a PR deadlift for attempt three, my last lift of the day. My buddy Chris is done lifting for the day, smiling, wearing the gray hoodie. On a knee on the floor is Rob, a direct competitor of mine -- same age, same weight -- who struggled on the bench that day and just saw me go ahead by 20kg with that PR deadlift. He's up next. He knows that he's going to lose to me today, after that deadlift. He's reaching out a hand to congratulate me on my lift.

That's the spirit of a powerlifting meet at every one I've attended: A close-knit, small community of people who just want everyone to do their best, stay safe and healthy, and succeed. The competition is fierce but not contentious. No one wishes for another person to fail. Everyone is kind and helpful and compliments you on your performance.
This is great, @Cmart

Haha I wish. I've been such a shit-head. I've been a better bencher than squatter lately.

What are you thinking about doing lifting wise? 5/3/1 or something?
Probably something like that. Going to have to take it easy to make sure I dont cripple myself like before.
Have a bunch of nagging injuries and issues. Going to have to take it easy and see how i feel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back