Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note but related - other countries have less options in terms of federations, do you think those countries are therefore more likely to produce lifters who try and beat the tests in the IPF, perhaps reinforced by a culture of state-sponsored doping and lax testing in their national affiliates? Testing costs money and a lot of those countries have a good motive not to test - winning on the big stage for prestige and not spending the money on testing being two that spring to mind.

If the above is true, what would you say the likelihood is of US lifters having to "join them to beat them" to get the podium spots?

Basically do you think WADA is effective in countries without a USADA equivalent lol.
Russia has been a slapped by the IPF before. There might be more, but that's just off the top of my head.

As a European it is pretty weird to have a sport where there is no unified national governing body, so I could understand that confusion.
Powerlifting is still the same in Europe as it is over here, though.

Powerlifting is still the same in Europe as it is over here, though.

Oh totally, but most other sports have a governing body. Unless you are familiar with powerlifting it has a really chaotic organisational structure between all the feds.

PL in Canada is pretty straight forward you're wither IPF or not.

I feel like the prestige of lifting in the IPF has an inverse relationship with what the general public athletes get out of lifting there right now.

Speaking of PEDs, the DEA shut down CT Fletcher's Iron Addicts Gym here in Florida for selling steroids.

All palatable food is "addictive". It all triggers dopaminergic reward systems as long as it's tasty. High fat foods included, sugar isn't anything special. Food becomes more dopaminergic the more it's restricted. Part of the reason why calorically deprived animals and humans overeat continuously when given the opportunity. Same with sex or anything pleasurable.

The only thing food has in common with drugs is when they are used to fill some kind void in a person's life. Eating disorders and drug abuse often have roots in some kind of prior trauma, depression, or anxiety. But I'm taking about real eating disorders, not random Joe blow who could afford to lose 20lbs.

Ran into an old friend from high school that got addicted to oxys after high school. Once he got off, he basically replaced it with candy and recently got diagnosed as a diabetic. I've heard of a lot of people who quit drugs who just end up replacing it with something like eating heavily, candy, caffeine, etc.

Ran into an old friend from high school that got addicted to oxys after high school. Once he got off, he basically replaced it with candy and recently got diagnosed as a diabetic. I've heard of a lot of people who quit drugs who just end up replacing it with something like eating heavily, candy, caffeine, etc.

My bro was addicted to smoking, now he has stopped and is running himself emaciated. Much like I did.

A former teacher of mine who was an alcoholic became addicted to golf. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. He was recently in the paper for some sort of record for most days played in a row, even throughout winter. He literally shovels snow in below zero and plays. The golf pro at our course told me he averaged over 150 holes of golf per week last golf season (which is logged in the computer system).

An addict is an addict. You often can't really eliminate addictive behavior entirely and just have to transfer it towards a more productive activity.

Dopamine is dopamine. Everyone is chasing the same high ultimately. A pharmaceutical treatment for addiction can often work regardless of the addiction. Likewise, so can CBT (which effectively rewires the brain), but that takes a long time, tons of discipline, and lacks immediate reward.

It's commonly known in the bariatric world that addiction transfer is a major risk after bariatric surgery. Because individuals can't eat much, they just take up new addicting activities.

My brother-in-law used to smoke weed everyday, and was a pretty nice, easygoing guy. He quit smoking when he had his first kid, became an achoholic, and a jerk. His wife put up with it for a couple years but finally left him and they are going through the divorce now.

OK so does anyone have any way I can turn my love of junk food into something productive, that isn't lifting or BJJ that I already do?

I don't know what you mean by APA.

In the U.S., there are only a small handful of drug-tested federations, and the large majority are not tested. Of the tested federations, only one does OOC testing and is WADA compliant, and that is the USAPL. There is a certain prestige to competing internationally in the IPF through the USAPL, but no financil incentive, and there are better financiap opportunities in untested powerlifting.

Long story short: there is very little incentive specifically in powerlifting to compete internationally through the USAPL and evade drug tests. Yes, people have done this before, but very few do so in powerlifting in the U.S. because there are so many options. Of those that use in the USAPL, the large majority of offenders are not on the international teams, and I can't remember anyone outside of Jesse Norris (for a stimulant) who tested positive and lost an international spot.

It is equally as impractical to think someone would bother trying to cheat the tests in the U.S. as it would be to think an 18-year-old girl can be as strong as she is naturally.

Sorry, I didn't answer for a couple of days because I know you were going to write some huge block of text and I just couldn't bring myself to have to read it. Maybe this would make more sense if you were a part of U.S. powerlifting.

By APA I meant the body responsible for drug testing in the games Melo has participated in. I guess that would be USAPL, instead.

I think the main difference here is you think the only incentive for drug use and/or risk-taking would be monetary. I was unaware she is being tested out-of-competition by WADA, though, and I can see your point about it being "equally as impractical".

Last edited:
OK so does anyone have any way I can turn my love of junk food into something productive, that isn't lifting or BJJ that I already do?
I think that's how powerlifting got started.

There's room for a food critic for food that real people actually eat. I love watching documentaries about the fancy dishes they serve at Noma, but I'm much more likely to try the new Doritos Roulettes (I know because I have tried them) and we might as well have someone testing that stuff first and letting us know if it's worth it.

I think that's how powerlifting got started.

There's room for a food critic for food that real people actually eat. I love watching documentaries about the fancy dishes they serve at Noma, but I'm much more likely to try the new Doritos Roulettes (I know because I have tried them) and we might as well have someone testing that stuff first and letting us know if it's worth it.

Its hard to resist 5 Jr. Chickens with Thai sauce when they're 1.67$ ea.

Those Doritos Roulette were disappointing. I was expecting the spicy ones to be REALLY spicy but they just give a little tingle. I found a website a while ago that reviews new releases from fast food chains. We don't get a lot of them in Canada so it was like a look into some bizarre alternate universe (i.e. the U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back