Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spotted and loaded squats and bench and was moved into platform manager for deadlifts. I was a complete newb in every aspect, but it went pretty well after the first few lifters.

Spotting and loading is a question of speed and being able to drown out the background noise. It helps if you can do the math in kilos, too. But I always have a sheet with colours. I remember calling the plates for Meanna Franco's bench press record in an IPF meet a few years ago. I called what was on the screen, she lifted and it was successful but apparently it was miss loaded. The computer was wrong, I was right, the spotters and loaders were right. You still feel shitty though.

Also back spotting the squats is stressful the first time. You don't want to jump in too soon, but you also don't want a dead lifter.

Anybody try to the waffle double down from KFC? Not sure if it's available outside Canada but it's pretty good.

You’re forcing me to go try it. Will report back later.

Spotting and loading is a question of speed and being able to drown out the background noise. It helps if you can do the math in kilos, too. But I always have a sheet with colours. I remember calling the plates for Meanna Franco's bench press record in an IPF meet a few years ago. I called what was on the screen, she lifted and it was successful but apparently it was miss loaded. The computer was wrong, I was right, the spotters and loaders were right. You still feel shitty though.

Also back spotting the squats is stressful the first time. You don't want to jump in too soon, but you also don't want a dead lifter.
A lifter opened on squat with 280kg. I wasn’t nervous in the slightest to spot him. I was more nervous loading and calling weights. From time to time the screen wouldn’t update or would update late for whatever reason so we loaded the wrong weight and had wrong rack heights. We were all first time volunteers, including the table guy. We worked it out eventually. No WR or NR, just some Provincial records, another platform manager grabbed the wrong chips for a record. We caught it before, but after bar loaded was called. Real embarrassing for the loaders (me),

A lifter opened on squat with 280kg. I wasn’t nervous in the slightest to spot him. I was more nervous loading and calling weights. From time to time the screen wouldn’t update or would update late for whatever reason so we loaded the wrong weight and had wrong rack heights. We were all first time volunteers, including the table guy. We worked it out eventually. No WR or NR, just some Provincial records, another platform manager grabbed the wrong chips for a record. We caught it before, but after bar loaded was called. Real embarrassing for the loaders (me),

Holy, that would be brutal. I've always had someone more senior than me. But now, it seems I'm the senior guy (at IPF meets, anyway) these days.
I'm going to a CPF meet this Saturday. I've never worked a monolift.

Holy, that would be brutal. I've always had someone more senior than me. But now, it seems I'm the senior guy (at IPF meets, anyway) these days.
I'm going to a CPF meet this Saturday. I've never worked a monolift.
Kinks were worked out quickly.

I drove to kenora and back, yesterday, for a job interview. Everything sound great until the topic of salary came up. Why would I leave my current home, to move elsewhere, for the same money.

I was contacted by a recruiter for this role, and I presumed that the salary would be roughly 20k more than offered.

Did you let them know that they wasted your time? Were there better benefits? A hot assistant? Anything?

I tried the KFC waffle double down. Didn’t look very good, but was delicious. Would recommend

I'm going to have to give this KFC thing a go, then aren't I?

@Aleks Sytsevich that sucks bro. recruiter should have known better, but they're volume based and likely don't pay much attention to the details.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Well maybe a little. But it's surprisingly good

How was everyone's weekend?
I'd have to say, mine was pretty amazing. it was one of those lazy weekends where nothing is planned but you end up with great times.

Friday night was my opening evening at the clinic's new location and then a chill night at home. Saturday I trained, went to the Aquatarium with the kids, bought a new Kentucky Bourbon, went out for dinner with some old friends, had an 80's, New Wave themed party at my house, got smashed, woke up Sunday, went vinyl shopping with a friend, had a dirty greasy burger in a small town pub, came home, afternoon delight, drank lot's of wine, listened to music with my son.

How was everyone's weekend?
I'd have to say, mine was pretty amazing. it was one of those lazy weekends where nothing is planned but you end up with great times.

Friday night was my opening evening at the clinic's new location and then a chill night at home. Saturday I trained, went to the Aquatarium with the kids, bought a new Kentucky Bourbon, went out for dinner with some old friends, had an 80's, New Wave themed party at my house, got smashed, woke up Sunday, went vinyl shopping with a friend, had a dirty greasy burger in a small town pub, came home, afternoon delight, drank lot's of wine, listened to music with my son.
That sounds like a bloody great weekend.

Mine was OK- was my youngest son's birthday. We hired out the judo club and a bouncy castle to go inside. Bouncy castle company turned up 30 minutes late, and then realised that the castle was too tall for the judo club (but not before they tried to inflate it inside and knocked one of the ceiling lights down) so we ended up with the bouncy castle outside in the rain, not that the kids seemed to mind. Needless to say, a refund is due and we will not be recommending that company to anyone.

Sunday we went out for a family jog / walk into the town and when we came back we had some family over - a few snacks and had a fun time, got some of the old Nintendo Wii games out and all ages joined in - from 4 to 88!

I would rest in the realization that they likely had a shitty time cleaning, drying and putting away the wet, soggy bouncy castle.

My friend and I signed up for the Spartan Sprint yesterday! 5k plus about 20 obstacles. It's on Sat June 23 so I have 8 weeks to train.

I'm thinking lots of cardio and upper body exercises. I don't think lower body strength is an issue but for clikbing I figure lots of pull-ups are a good plan. Also continuing to eat well and maybe get down below 190 will help.

For anyone who has done them before: Any advice on shoes? I'm thinking of buying something cheap from Walmart so I don't care if they get ruined but I'm also thinking they need to a have a chunky tread to grip in the mud.

Last edited:
Any pubsters own or have any experience with the Nintendo Switch?

My eldest son is after one so I'm making him save up and sell some of his toys / books that he no longer wants, he's about halfway there as they are pretty bloody expensive over here.

Did you let them know that they wasted your time? Were there better benefits? A hot assistant? Anything?

I tried the KFC waffle double down. Didn’t look very good, but was delicious. Would recommend

A store to call my own and biannual trips to Mexico. Assistant was...old.

My friend and I signed up for the Spartan Sprint yesterday! 5k plus about 20 obstacles. It's on Sat June 23 so I have 8 weeks to train.

I'm thinking lots of cardio and upper body exercises. I don't think lower body strength is an issue but for clikbing I figure lots of pull-ups are a good plan. Also continuing to eat well and maybe get down below 190 will help.

For anyone who has done them before: Any advice on shoes? I'm thinking of buying something cheap from Walmart so I don't care if they get ruined but I'm also thinking they need to a have a chunky tread to grip in the mud.
I did Mudhero last year. I wore Nano 4s. Some obstacles required significant grip strength, there was a “warped wall” (similar to American Nonja Warrior), a few that required scaling over tall impediments.

It was not hard. Not being able to do a real pull up was not an issue. I beieleve I was 265 at the time and did very little cardio.

Weekend plans pub? I've got a "Dads & Lads" breakfast tomorrow, where my boys and I will be joining with some of my friends and their sons for a good feed. Will then visit my mum, probably take the boys to the woods or park and then help them get their homework done. Saturday night will be eating kebabs and watching the David Haye / Tony Bellew rematch with my friend and then Sunday will probably be a morning training session with my kids and then watching the new Avengers movie at the cinema Sunday evening.

Monday will be a BBQ all being well.

I did Mudhero last year. I wore Nano 4s. Some obstacles required significant grip strength, there was a “warped wall” (similar to American Nonja Warrior), a few that required scaling over tall impediments.

It was not hard. Not being able to do a real pull up was not an issue. I beieleve I was 265 at the time and did very little cardio.

I've found a few videos on YouTube of people doing the 2018 Spartan Sprint and I'm surprised at how many obstacles are just climbing over walls. I guess when there are 20+ obstacles they aren't all going to be unique. Like you say, there are a bunch that require grip strength e.g. monkey bars, rings, rope climb (which apparently has a technique for using your feet but I have no way to practice). From watching the videos I'm sure I'll have no problem finishing so my goal is to complete as many obstacles as possible.

I'm thinking of just buying some cheap trainers from Walmart so if they get all mucky I can just pitch them or use them for working in the yard.

Weekend plans pub? I've got a "Dads & Lads" breakfast tomorrow, where my boys and I will be joining with some of my friends and their sons for a good feed. Will then visit my mum, probably take the boys to the woods or park and then help them get their homework done. Saturday night will be eating kebabs and watching the David Haye / Tony Bellew rematch with my friend and then Sunday will probably be a morning training session with my kids and then watching the new Avengers movie at the cinema Sunday evening.

Monday will be a BBQ all being well.

Saturday morning I take my son to swimming lessons. More like "float and get used to the water" lessons but they are fun. Then in the afternoon we are going to a kids Yoga thing but I think my son is still too young to really do it. Then we are going to BBQ for dinner and maybe have some friends over. I'm supposed to re-build the gate for our backyard this weekend but I'm not sure that I'll get it all done. My wife needs to do some work on Sunday so I might end up just taking my son to get supplies and then do the actual work next weekend. Then summer hockey starts Sunday night.

Going to the gym tonight, plan on steaks afterwards. Saturday I have nothing planned, first day in a long time where I can just decompress. Sunday back to work, but I’m off early.

@DrBdan the Nano’s were 4 years old at the time of the race. They were flat and hard and they had decent tread left

Worked overnights all weekend. Lots of drunk drivers on the road. For a country that doesn’t like Mexico, the US sure likes to celebrate their holidays.

Got some gym in. Can’t wait to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back