Donald Cerrone: one of my favorite fighters has lost his edge

Yancy reminded me of pat Barry, wayyyyy too much respect inside the cage for his opponent.

Till had the best approach. He was respectful , said cowboy is a legend and he is a fan, but at the same time he said that we will knock him the fook out.

I may be wrong but what I thought was a bad sign was how easy Donald was to hit. If Yancy had anything on those shots I think Cerrone would have been ko'd. JMO, but Cerrone was there for anything Yancy threw.

LOL @ people who think you have to mean mug and strut around like a rooster to be a fighter.

He's always high fived and huged noob
one of his best fights came with a guy who he got beers with immediately after

The only dudes he ever hated were Jamie Varner and Nate Diaz

maybe Melvin and him had beef

I remember he didn't like Myles Jury either cause he was a dick post-fight after beating Diego Sanchez

then Cowboy beat the shit outa his legs and it was awesome.

As a 34 year old who's also put mt body through a ton, props to Cerrone for still getting in there as often as he has. He's not as quick as he was, he doesn't recover as well, probably tires quicker, it's natural that he has to fight a bit smarter. He was still throwing plenty of great counters and beat a very game opponent.

Sherdog needs to understand the concept of aging.

Lol at Nate Diaz not falling for that "love fest" shit:

diaz+cerrone+flip+off.gif
<[analyzed}>

I may be wrong but what I thought was a bad sign was how easy Donald was to hit. If Yancy had anything on those shots I think Cerrone would have been ko'd. JMO, but Cerrone was there for anything Yancy threw.

This is what i got out of the fight as well.. Cowboy brings it every time so i could care less if they hug before, during and after.. But he was getting caught more than i would like

To be a great fighter for years you have to go on some sort of reign of undefeated years.

Yeah but you only think that because you're too stupid to have an appropriate sense of scale.

Anyone who is a top ten UFC fighter is already a great fighter, with rare exception, pretty much by definition. Your inability to understand that is a personal flaw that only reflects poorly on yourself.

I’ve always respected Cowboy. ‘Any one, any time, and place” wasn’t just a catch phrase. Lots of guys say that. Cowboy lived it right in front of us. In every weight class where he’s competed, he’s fought the best, beaten many, lost to some. He has fantastic striking and a very solid ground game.

These days, however, Cerrone wants to high five his opponents, hug his opponents, give them the thumbs up, and generally treat the whole thing like an exhibition. It is as if he’s trying to avoid wars by communicating to the other guy “I’m not really trying to hurt you that bad, please give me the same respect.” He’s clearly fighting more tentative, and with less aggression.

Reminds me of Anderson Silva after Silva got trigger shy and started taking on a new persona in the ring. Different tactics. Anderson became a clown. Cowboy has become everyone’s best friend. Obvious that in both cases, nerves and a loss of their hard mental edge are the driving forces.

When I see Cerrone on a card, I generally call that card good, regardless of the rest of the fights. That may soon not be the case for me.

I can see where you get that, but I always took his pre- fight friendliness more like, "it's hard enough and scary enough that we're gonna go in there and put our bodies and minds on the line, let's at least make everything leading up to it as nice as possible and also show a little preemptive respect. "

It's kind of like actual rodeo cowboy mentality. I think it's a mature attitude given the super dangerous nature of the sport, and it's refreshingly rare these days.

Yancy reminded me of pat Barry, wayyyyy too much respect inside the cage for his opponent.

I'm not sure how i felt about that, it was kind of cool but also a little weird, it's like every time the other guy lands a jab you want to hug him.

The fights only a few minutes maybe hold the hugs back until after. But whatever, they are the ones putting it all on the line.

I liked the high fives and smiles. To me it reminded me of Cro Cop vs. Barry where the lovefest was almost used as psychological tactics. It was clear Barry was loving the fact that Cro Cop was giving him his props but it very well might have lulled Barry into a false sense of security and when Cro Cop had his opportunity to blitz him, he took it without hesitation.

That's sort of what I thought of Cowboy last night. When they hugged mid-fight, I was like, this is going to get really bad for Yancy soon because if he thinks Cowboy is going to have a fun sparring session with him, he's going to get cracked.

Bear in mind, also, that there is an entire running gag that when Cowboy befriends an opponent before the fight, he ends up winning big time, while when he has some sort of bitterness or contentiousness, he gets walloped. You can delineate a lot of his fight outcomes in recent years based on that.
Truth big time

With emphasis on Robbie being former champ who will not be champ again! Cowboy was never top tier material he lost every big fight.

But his fans refuse to acknowledge this. Some moron wrote that with one more win and he should get to fight Khabib, and they're in different weight classes. Not to mention Cowboy is 1-3 last four fights. Whether you like him or not he is, was, will always be a gatekeeper.

To be clear, I he doesn't have to hate the guy or act like a jackass. And they can be best friends before and after. It is the in-ring hugging and high fiving, DURING THE FIGHT that drives me nuts.

Back