Donald Cerrone: one of my favorite fighters has lost his edge

I liked the high fives and smiles. To me it reminded me of Cro Cop vs. Barry where the lovefest was almost used as psychological tactics. It was clear Barry was loving the fact that Cro Cop was giving him his props but it very well might have lulled Barry into a false sense of security and when Cro Cop had his opportunity to blitz him, he took it without hesitation.

That's sort of what I thought of Cowboy last night. When they hugged mid-fight, I was like, this is going to get really bad for Yancy soon because if he thinks Cowboy is going to have a fun sparring session with him, he's going to get cracked.

Bear in mind, also, that there is an entire running gag that when Cowboy befriends an opponent before the fight, he ends up winning big time, while when he has some sort of bitterness or contentiousness, he gets walloped. You can delineate a lot of his fight outcomes in recent years based on that.

I always remember Joe Rogan saying he didn’t like that Pat Barry shit “Mirko CroCop is NOT your friend”.

With Cowboy I think he’s just able to have fun now. I think he changed after Diaz hit under his skin, and now he’s just being himself more

Bullshit, Cowboy was a top fighter for years. Great fighters don't always need championships under their belt.

The Diaz bros are great fighters with no UFC titles.

How about Khabib Nurmogomedov? Ay?
So you edited it and put in Khabib who just further proves an undefeated run of some sorts or a title is needed. Cowboy had neither of any substance.

To be a great fighter for years you have to go on some sort of reign of undefeated years.

I disagree in my own way with that. There are two main tiers for me: Elite, and Great. Cowboy would fall into my great category but is one of my all time favorites anyway.

So he is naturally aging and has insane mileage and he still won by sick round 1 KO

What's the problem?

I think you are right: if he hugs and chums it up with his opponent- he wins. If he gets bullied pre-fight, he folds.

If you're actually a fan of Cowboy, you would know that he actually fights noticeably better when he's relaxed and not emotionally invested.

To be a great fighter for years you have to go on some sort of reign of undefeated years.

From fall 2013 to December 2016, he went 12-1 which is pretty nuts considering some of the opponents in that run included Benson (fight could have easily gone either way), Alvarez, Barboza, Cowboy Oliveira, etc.

The buddy buddy act isn’t the reason why he’s lost his edge. But you can definitely tell he’s on the decline physically and not as confident in his skills as he used to be. Hopefully they feed him Magny next to get Cerrone back on a two fight win streak.

Magny would probably run thru Cerrone at this stage of their careers. Pressure fighter with a nice jab = tough times for Cowboy.

If you're actually a fan of Cowboy, you would know that he actually fights noticeably better when he's relaxed and not emotionally invested.

And when he’s not pressured and has space. This fight was a glorified sparring match.

Magny would probably run thru Cerrone at this stage of their careers. Pressure fighter with a nice jab = tough times for Cowboy.
He actually might. I don’t wanna believe it! I think cowboy has more skill and will to win than condit does at this point!

He's always high fived and huged noob
one of his best fights came with a guy who he got beers with immediately after

The only dudes he ever hated were Jamie Varner and Nate Diaz

maybe Melvin and him had beef

He just knocked out (with his hands) in the first round, a legit contender at 170.

What?

It was a good win to get off the slide, but let's not get ahead of ourselves calling Medeiros a "legit contender"

I feel the same about watching Cerrone as he does about fights: Any time, anywhere, against anyone.

He just knocked a solid fighter out in the 1st round and you aren't looking forward to seeing him fight anymore? strong logic.

LET'S GO DONALD CERRONE!

TS is on fucking crazy pills.

Kinda amazing the flack Cowboy gets for being one of the most go to guys. His fights are generally very enjoyable and his attitude is admirable.

I won money on this fight cause i was sure cowboy would win i think he is undefeated when he befriends his opponents. Just g otta mind fuck him for an easy win.

Sea level Cain
Motivated BJ Penn
Donald "Friend with his oponent "Cerrone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back