Donald Cerrone: one of my favorite fighters has lost his edge

OrangeGringo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I’ve always respected Cowboy. ‘Any one, any time, and place” wasn’t just a catch phrase. Lots of guys say that. Cowboy lived it right in front of us. In every weight class where he’s competed, he’s fought the best, beaten many, lost to some. He has fantastic striking and a very solid ground game.

These days, however, Cerrone wants to high five his opponents, hug his opponents, give them the thumbs up, and generally treat the whole thing like an exhibition. It is as if he’s trying to avoid wars by communicating to the other guy “I’m not really trying to hurt you that bad, please give me the same respect.” He’s clearly fighting more tentative, and with less aggression.

Reminds me of Anderson Silva after Silva got trigger shy and started taking on a new persona in the ring. Different tactics. Anderson became a clown. Cowboy has become everyone’s best friend. Obvious that in both cases, nerves and a loss of their hard mental edge are the driving forces.

When I see Cerrone on a card, I generally call that card good, regardless of the rest of the fights. That may soon not be the case for me.

The last 2 times he hugged his opposition they ended up knocked out a few seconds later.

So... because he isn't acting like Diaz or Conor is a reason why you are thinking of not supporting him despite all his wins being finishes at WW?

Pretty idiotic.

He's 34 and just won his last fight.

Give him a break. He can't stay in his prime forever.

I liked the high fives and smiles. To me it reminded me of Cro Cop vs. Barry where the lovefest was almost used as psychological tactics. It was clear Barry was loving the fact that Cro Cop was giving him his props but it very well might have lulled Barry into a false sense of security and when Cro Cop had his opportunity to blitz him, he took it without hesitation.

That's sort of what I thought of Cowboy last night. When they hugged mid-fight, I was like, this is going to get really bad for Yancy soon because if he thinks Cowboy is going to have a fun sparring session with him, he's going to get cracked.

Bear in mind, also, that there is an entire running gag that when Cowboy befriends an opponent before the fight, he ends up winning big time, while when he has some sort of bitterness or contentiousness, he gets walloped. You can delineate a lot of his fight outcomes in recent years based on that.

I love Cowboy had him in my sig for years (others not so long) He's either a gate keeper, he retires, or goes to Bellator. Those are his options... assuming hes not stuck under a long contract with UFc.

Lol at Nate Diaz not falling for that "love fest" shit:

diaz+cerrone+flip+off.gif

So... because he isn't acting like Diaz or Conor is a reason why you are thinking of not supporting him despite all his wins being finishes at WW?

Pretty idiotic.
Agreed. He's done pretty well for himself. So what if he doesn't want to be a prick?

I’ve always respected Cowboy. ‘Any one, any time, and place” wasn’t just a catch phrase. Lots of guys say that. Cowboy lived it right in front of us. In every weight class where he’s competed, he’s fought the best, beaten many, lost to some. He has fantastic striking and a very solid ground game.

These days, however, Cerrone wants to high five his opponents, hug his opponents, give them the thumbs up, and generally treat the whole thing like an exhibition. It is as if he’s trying to avoid wars by communicating to the other guy “I’m not really trying to hurt you that bad, please give me the same respect.” He’s clearly fighting more tentative, and with less aggression.

Reminds me of Anderson Silva after Silva got trigger shy and started taking on a new persona in the ring. Different tactics. Anderson became a clown. Cowboy has become everyone’s best friend. Obvious that in both cases, nerves and a loss of their hard mental edge are the driving forces.

When I see Cerrone on a card, I generally call that card good, regardless of the rest of the fights. That may soon not be the case for me.
He just knocked out (with his hands) in the first round, a legit contender at 170.

What?

Donald is a win two fights, lose one type of dude. And his heart is mad suspect. Good for him on the win last night but CTE will catch up to him.

Pretty idiotic.
And he basically did it in just this last fight... Pretty retard way to judge by TS.

I like Diaz, Conor and Cowboy in their respective way... One thing that they got in common is that the come to fight. It only took a few friendly antics for TS to feel deception on Cowboy, lol...

Last edited:
He should have got the win over Robbie Lawler, former WW champ. Refs robbed.. Cowboy had more strikes land in 2 of the 3 rounds.
With emphasis on Robbie being former champ who will not be champ again! Cowboy was never top tier material he lost every big fight.

The buddy buddy act isn’t the reason why he’s lost his edge. But you can definitely tell he’s on the decline physically and not as confident in his skills as he used to be. Hopefully they feed him Magny next to get Cerrone back on a two fight win streak.

With emphasis on Robbie being former champ who will not be champ again! Cowboy was never top tier material he lost every big fight.

Bullshit, Cowboy was a top fighter for years. Great fighters don't always need championships under their belt.

The Diaz bros are great fighters with no UFC titles.

How about Khabib Nurmogomedov? Ay?

How about Alexander Gustfasson.

Cub Swanson?

Wonderboy Thompson?

I could go on and on. but my point is made.

Nah he's more of a killer when he's fighting an opponent he likes , I think it could be due to there being less pressure on himself to win the fight and Also probably wanting to end the fight quicker as not wanting to prolong the time inflicting punishment on his opponent .

This. Hindsight is 20/20 but Robbie was definitely a champion who was in the right place at the right time when the division was in a transition period. Look at the guys he beat during his title reign. Hendricks is shot. He “beat condit” who is 2-6 in his last 8 and just lost to Magny. Robbie’s best win during that was Rory and he was was beating him going into the 5th round. Tyron made quick work of Lawler and now he’s struggled against back to back LWs.

Bullshit, Cowboy was a top fighter for years. Great fighters don't always need championships under their belt.

The Diaz bros are great fighters with no UFC titles.
To be a great fighter for years you have to go on some sort of reign of undefeated years.

Back