Don Catlin - Founder of UCLA Olympic Lab: 'Drug tests are easy to beat....very easy'

I exceed the speed limit in my car regularly and get away with it, it's easy to do.
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be speed limits or that I'll never get caught.

Your old ass Geo metro can go faster than 50 mph?

A man who spent 25 years in the industry watching athletes pass test after test he designed to catch them.

Even he knows that no testing program is currently good enough.

Why do sports companies keep shelling out money to an industry that can't live up to its claims.

If the test can't tell who is using and who is not, then they're pretty damn useless.

Source: Within the first 10 minutes of the Documentary 'Icarus' (Strongly recommended for anyone interested in PEDs in sports)
Thank you for recommending this movie. I am 50 minutes in and it's the most compelling documentary I've ever seen.

Lmao

If that's true, then Jon Jones has to be the dumbest motherfucker alive....

Yup. It's why I've said for a long time that I agree with the Diaz brothers and Sonnen and other fighters who have said the use of PEDs is probably close to 100% or at least extremely high. Guys who get caught should bepunished for being dumb or careless not because they're doing things other fighters aren't.

micro-dose a 9pm . out of your system by morning. no testing at night.

Sure are a lot of people getting popped for tests that are supposedly so easy to beat.
while there have been some high-profile failures due to sloppiness, its a drop in the bucket....

having testing this inadequate while calling it 'the best' misleads the customer and the public about the state of PEDs in sports.....it forces more dishonesty and solves nothing.....

Saying drug tests are easy to beat is a blanket statement, it depends on the type of drug test and how often the drug test is administered.
The UFC always tested athletes but athletes knew how and when, so it was easy to best, USADA turn up unannounced and can test you at anytime, this is very hard to beat as even the quickest steroid to shift test suspension takes up to 3 days, so to say they're easy to beat is bullshit otherwise half the roster wouldn't be suspended.

ufc fighters don't make enough money to afford a multi million dollar doping program.

top level boxers are all dirty but they can afford the real shit, not crap you get from some nutritionist at your gym.

while there have been some high-profile failures due to sloppiness, its a drop in the bucket....

having testing this inadequate while calling it 'the best' misleads the customer and the public about the state of PEDs in sports.....it forces more dishonesty and solves nothing.....

Could it just be that those actually using PED's are just a drop in the bucket as well? Guys lower on the card have a lot more to risk since they haven't made as big of a name for themselves as others and would risk more by being caught and suspended.

USADA catching my favorite fighters while the ones I hate keep pissing clean can mean only one thing... It is useless and needs to be done away with.
not even a jones fan.....i just think its messed up how someone failing a test gets them destroyed while almost everyone is violating the same policy and just keeps their mouth shut while their friends and co workers get crucified....

its a culture of lies and insanely disproportionate social stigma...

People are being hit with doping allegations left and right, and many of those are people at or near the top of the card. More than just a few, my friend.
it's a bunch of mid tier fighters at best, and like one or 2 elite

Could it just be that those actually using PED's are just a drop in the bucket as well? Guys lower on the card have a lot more to risk since they haven't made as big of a name for themselves as others and would risk more by being caught and suspended.
thats not the reality....antidoping agencies readily admit that....

Nah, I disagree. With random unannounced drug tests nothing is easy to beat, thats why so many fighters have got caught. What this guy said is only true in tests that the fighter knows is gonna happen, like in the past when they only drug tested pre and post fight.

thats not the reality....antidoping agencies readily admit that....

How can they admit to that? They can't know how many fighters are beating the tests (or which ones are even risking trying) without actually catching them with anything first.

He is not even right.

It's not "easy" to mask substances or to hide drug use, at all. It's certainly doable in the short-term, but not in the long-term, that's why Jon Jones popped, for example.
They can only test for certain substances with each test, and they narrow their search down over the years of the athlete competing and it can take YEARS to get the right idea of what the supplement or drug might be.

That's why it's "easy" to evade a few drug tests, but not prolonged testing over many years of competition which is exactly what USADA is doing, and USADA is very, very competent.
Not to mention that almost all PEDs show long-term effects that are easily spotted.

It is a scam and from the same people that gave us our drug policies.

If you think catching ~5% of PED users because they were sloppy is 'doing a decent job' when your stated goal/purpose is to ensure PED-free competition, i dont know what to tell you.

Like i said earlier, even the 'best around' is completely inadequate for its stated purpose. Promising abilities you hope to have in the future is ripping off the customers and being more than a bit misleading with the public.

Hit the nail on the head. Drug testing is big business in the US.

How can they admit to that? They can't know how many fighters are beating the tests (or which ones are even risking trying) without actually catching them with anything first.

Uh, cuz they test stuff. Like in Icarus, the main Russian doctor knows exactly how to beat the system.

Yup. It's why I've said for a long time that I agree with the Diaz brothers and Sonnen and other fighters who have said the use of PEDs is probably close to 100% or at least extremely high. Guys who get caught should bepunished for being dumb or careless not because they're doing things other fighters aren't.

Catlin has the same exact view as Diaz. They are all on it. We need to start listening to real experts instead of amateurs like Dimspace and his scooby do investigations.

its a numbers game....

statistically speaking, there are always going to be people dumb or lazy enough to fail any test......

theyre catching an insanely small percentage.....the test simply is not good enough to catch more.....

what youre failing to account for is retroactive testing (samples can be kept an re-analysed for up to ten years)

sure, at the 2008 and 2012 olympics they didnt catch that many people

but guess what, in 2016 they caught 100 people in retroactive testing from those two olympics, including a shit ton of medallists

so you need to factor that in..

Back