Don Catlin - Founder of UCLA Olympic Lab: 'Drug tests are easy to beat....very easy'

Meanwhile dudes get caught. What's your point? Some are not getting caught some are getting. Same as with the police. Get rid of the police because they're not 100% effective?

At what percentage of effectiveness does something expensive become not worth it?

If 100 athletes take a test.....1 athlete fails but 90 others who were using passed the test, then whats the point?

To vilify that 1?

Its stupid. The anti-doping industry will NEVER bring about PED-free competition.

In fact, it only makes the lying worse. You have athletes like Lance who sit there and say 'ive take 150 tests and was clean every time'.....

When you have a fake test like this, where it doesnt work and a positive connotation can be implied from passing, you end up with a lot of unearned positive connotations....

People are using "passed usada testing" and "clean" or "natty" like they are interchangable....

A testing system like this can only be adequate for its purpose if the MOST LOGICAL INFERENCE to draw from someone passing is that they didn't use PEDs.

The fact of the matter is that is not the case today....whether or not an athlete passes a usada test, they are still likely on PEDs.

On the contrary, ive given more honest thought than most to this....

1) You are justifying an inadequacy in testing. This is a pattern i find troubling among people who claim anti-doping is working.

2)My whole point is that Anti-doping is NOT worth the expense. Even with the most sophisticated testing, the tests are easily beatable. It just becomes a case of catering your drug use to the test you are taking.

Anti-doping is a scam. They can't possibly 'clean up' any sport with the science that exists today because the science just isn't good enough.

3) This is the most irritating thing about the Anti-doping scam. Telling the customer 'oh you just wait....maybe in a year, maybe a decade, maybe a century.....we will one day be able to tell you which athletes were enhanced and which were natty!'

Seriously....what the fuck are athletics organizations paying for now if the testing agencies cant even make PED free competition now? The promise that they'll keep trying? The promise that one day they will?

Its crazy.....the anti-doping industry is making money hand over fist telling their customers and the public that they can provide a service that they can't.

The sooner we start being honest and stop using methods that dont work and wont work....the sooner we can address solutions with more promise....or just accept reality, athletes use peds and there is no testing good enough to stop them.....only the sloppy get caught.....

Sorry.

As I noted, the PED industry has to come up with a new cheat for the UDASA and other companies to catch up.
they can't make a detection for something that wasn't invented yet!
Your notion that they should is insane.
You lack logic.
And the top many athletes that got caught proves you blatantly wrong.

but It is obvious to me that you are being willfully blind.
The problem is: You offer no alternative. and as I noted previously, it would take one fighter dying of an experimental drug for people like you to bash the MMA for not doing anything to curb the use of forbidden substances.

Lmao

If that's true, then Jon Jones has to be one DUMB motherfucker to get caught by USADA twice....

What same guy who sprinted from a hit and run to only return to his rental car at the crime, for some petty cash and weed.

Nah... No questionable judgement runnin his world.

I am sure it is not very hard to beat tests when you understand how the testing works, understand the substances as well as what you are taking. Most MMA camps are only a step or 2 ahead of bro science and the fighters are even less knowledgeable.

The thing about USADA is that it's random testing at random times. Very hard to beat those tests even while on undetectable designer peds. You may pop for a metabolite of the base drug if dehydrated or early in the morning. Scheduled drug tests like in the NFL are so easy to pass a child could do it.
USADA isnt as effective as you think....its just a change in the routine and athletes are beating it every day....

In order for anti doping to be effective, it would involve an insane level of athlete harassment and be an unaffordable expense.....

Anti doping cant be effective otherwise....the pretense that they are is a big part of the problem here...

Good points, but he failed a weigh-in piss test. He's been passing those for 9 years. It makes no sense he would use Turinabol in the first place and use it when he knows he's getting tested. It's an old, shit drug. Passes random tests, both blood and urine. I'm curious how this plays out.
I think USADA just changed the they were testing for and didn't let anyone know.

But yeah I'm curious too

I exceed the speed limit in my car regularly and get away with it, it's easy to do.
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be speed limits or that I'll never get caught.
Bullshit analogy. The question is why should there be speed limits on a racing track? You are there to drive as fast as you can, and the scientists, engineers and mechanics continue to develop technology to make the cars drive faster and faster.

The anti-PEDs ideology is based on religion and myth, not evidence-based science.

USADA isnt as effective as you think....its just a change in the routine and athletes are beating it every day....

In order for anti doping to be effective, it would involve an insane level of athlete harassment and be an unaffordable expense.....

Anti doping cant be effective otherwise....the pretense that they are is a big part of the problem here...
USADA does a decent job without that high level of athlete harrassment you speak of. They gotta tell USADA when and how long they're leaving the country, basically where they are at all times. If they miss a random test it counts like a strike against them. USADA is pretty extreme when it comes to drug testing. They're the best around Thats for sure. Olympic style testing. On par with wada. Of course people can still beat the tests. But they cant beat ALL the tests forever. USADA is getting better day by day. Personally I'd rather just abolish USADA go back to athletic commissions doing the testing. I want trt Vitor back.

Sorry.

As I noted, the PED industry has to come up with a new cheat for the UDASA and other companies to catch up.
they can't make a detection for something that wasn't invented yet!
Your notion that they should is insane.
You lack logic.
And the top many athletes that got caught proves you blatantly wrong.

but It is obvious to me that you are being willfully blind.
The problem is: You offer no alternative. and as I noted previously, it would take one fighter dying of an experimental drug for people like you to bash the MMA for not doing anything to curb the use of forbidden substances.

Its not catch-up. There is no guarantee that the technology to test for a designer steroid will ever exist. There is no guarantee that the tests will be sensitive enough to catch micro-dosers after a couple of hours. Theres no guarantee that if a breakthrough happens tomorrow, that a new protocol/designer PED wont be out the next day that may never be detectable.

As far as athletes dying from experimental drugs goes, theres a simple solution:

This is gonna sound crazy but do away with the prohibition on PEDs and let athletes be honest and open about drug use under the supervision of a physician with PEDs from labs with high safety standards.

1)Athletes would be using safer, medical grade PEDs.

2)A physician would be more readily available to help with side effects and Post-cycle therapy.

3)The athlete would be able to minimize any health risk while not having to lie.

Pretending we can catch them, that its only the few who get caught, or that the ones who pass the test are natty is only making a culture of deceit worse and worse while not 'cleaning up' sports at all.

USADA does a decent job without that high level of athlete harrassment you speak of. They gotta tell USADA when and how long they're leaving the country, basically where they are at all times. If they miss a random test it counts like a strike against them. USADA is pretty extreme when it comes to drug testing. They're the best around Thats for sure. Olympic style testing. On par with wada. Of course people can still beat the tests. But they cant beat ALL the tests forever. USADA is getting better day by day. Personally I'd rather just abolish USADA go back to athletic commissions doing the testing. I want trt Vitor back.

If you think catching ~5% of PED users because they were sloppy is 'doing a decent job' when your stated goal/purpose is to ensure PED-free competition, i dont know what to tell you.

Like i said earlier, even the 'best around' is completely inadequate for its stated purpose. Promising abilities you hope to have in the future is ripping off the customers and being more than a bit misleading with the public.

I think USADA just changed the they were testing for and didn't let anyone know.

But yeah I'm curious too
if its not on the banned substance list at the time of the test....i dont think they can do anything....

JJ is the best ever.

He's also dumb for getting caught, because plenty of guys aren't. Also, the guys that haven't failed DO deserve the benefit of the doubt, even if they look like they are on every steroid known to man.

Stop trying to make things mutually exclusive.

it is mutually exclusive to say that someone who failed a test is the best ever, and then to say that those who didn't do get the benefit of the doubt.

if they do get the benefit of the doubt they must automatically be ranked over those who failed tests, including jones.

Good points, but he failed a weigh-in piss test. He's been passing those for 9 years. It makes no sense he would use Turinabol in the first place and use it when he knows he's getting tested. It's an old, shit drug. Passes random tests, both blood and urine. I'm curious how this plays out.

Him and brock are prime examples.....

if testing worked, they wouldnt beat so many tests then get busted for pct....

stop thinking about the test they failed....start thinking about the 20 they passed......

I exceed the speed limit in my car regularly and get away with it, it's easy to do.
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be speed limits or that I'll never get caught.
did you injure someone in the process? if not, who cares?

PEDs are a benefit to the sport, not the contrary

If it's so easy then why do elite athlete drug cheats keep getting caught? And if this guy is the one to help them beat it then why isn't he living in a mansion?

Using PEDs is like playing Russian roulette - after the sixth time of beating random tests, the odds are simply not in your favor anymore.
they don't. you don't see true elite fighters getting caught, aside stupid people like jones. ok, also chad, I give you that. usually you see mid tier fighter getting caught, because they probably don't have the money or the connections to afford the best drugs

USADA catching my favorite fighters while the ones I hate keep pissing clean can mean only one thing... It is useless and needs to be done away with.

Back