Don’t Mess With Us’: WebMD Parent Company Demands Return to office

I'm sure most people give it their all without supervision and do more than the bare minimum right?

But I know enough folks that complained about the office going to "open concept" and losing their privacy areas to guess there is a group of folks who will just do the bare minimum. The open concept haters ironically were mad that their neighbour's could now see they were browsing sherdog or a hockey forum and it was being counted as break time

I can't believe this is an actual hot topic these days.

Workers and their employers going back and forth about if they should come in to work or not.

Never would have seen this coming pre covid. Then again I don't have a desk job though.

That video was stupid on many levels and I hated it. Biggest problem is that it was unnecessary. In the video it says that the target audience will be contacted by their manager about how going back to the office will be implemented and tracked. Should have just done that and taken action against any employee that didn't meet the expectations.
There's an economic channel I watch occasionally on YouTube.

In a recent video, he stated that a big reason why some tech companies are demanding people head back to the office is because they need to lay off some in their workplace.

There will be a percentage of employees that listen to the ultimatum and think "I refuse to go back". Those people will be let go to help save the company money.

The demanding nature of the messaging combined with "your manager will be reaching out to you" tells me that WebMD isn't doing well financially and need to make cuts.

I'm sure most people give it their all without supervision and do more than the bare minimum right?

But I know enough folks that complained about the office going to "open concept" and losing their privacy areas to guess there is a group of folks who will just do the bare minimum.
why should anyone do more than the bare minimum? why would i ever work harder for the same money?

There's an economic channel I watch occasionally on YouTube.

In a recent video, he stated that a big reason why some tech companies are demanding people head back to the office is because they need to lay off some in their workplace.

There will be a percentage of employees that listen to the ultimatum and think "I refuse to go back". Those people will be let go to help save the company money.

The demanding nature of the messaging combined with "your manager will be reaching out to you" tells me that WebMD isn't doing well financially and need to make cuts.
Forced attrition is definitely a reason.

The main reason is tax related and real estate expenses

why should anyone do more than the bare minimum? why would i ever work harder for the same money?

If you still have job security even in doing the minimum, and you don't wish to advance and you don't get paid bonuses or raises based on performance...you aren't wrong.

I think its a combination of a few things:
  1. Harder to justify middle management, these people need shoulders to stare over to justify their existence most of the time.
  2. Businesses don't want to see their expensive offices sit empty.
  3. I think this is the biggest one, companies are using the push to return the office as a method of culling their workforce without having to pay for layoffs/severance. The company I work for pushed the return to office hard and then did major layoffs two months later.

I'm a programmer and for the last year and a half my team is working on a completely new design for our product. In order to achieve it, we had to work closely with the design team. As the company is mostly remote (even though he have an office and basically all of the team is located in the same city), we did many meetings online. They were not very productive. It was obvious that some people were either frying eggs, watching TV or whatever, but some members were active and collaborative, while others were silent and basically non-existant. Because of that we had to repeat all the same stuff every other week and we were getting nowhere.

So we decided - I mean really, all of us decided as a team, not because some exec or middle management feller made us - to meet several times a week in the office to clean things out conceptually. We did 3 days a week for a couple of weeks; then 2 days for a couple more and then we started meeting once a week. In a month we made a staggering progress, all of us were on the same page and from that moment on it was smooth sailing.

I'm the last person on the world to diss remote working - I fucking love it. And I still do. But there are times that people need to meet face to face and yes, it makes a huge difference. It depends on the situation though. Because when we cleaned up all the conceptions, the work itself has been remote 95% of the time - and there were no problems. I'm going to the office once a week - most of the time everyone is staring at their screens and that's about as collaborative as it gets. If someone tells me - "You need to be in the office to do better work" - sorry, that's absurd.

If there is a reason to go there, like the one above - I'm all in. I was probably one of the people who missed the least amount of live meetings. But if some fat cat tells us to do something - not cool.

Last edited:
That video was stupid on many levels and I hated it. Biggest problem is that it was unnecessary. In the video it says that the target audience will be contacted by their manager about how going back to the office will be implemented and tracked. Should have just done that and taken action against any employee that didn't meet the expectations.

I imagine he wanted it public so the employees who were coming in to work at the office saw it and was likely largely to appease them.

Back