DOMS & Hamstrings

Footjab

White Belt
Reaction score
This may be a ridiculous question but here it goes:

I seem to get nasty DOMS in my hamstrings (particularly after doing RDL's), but I don't suffer it anywhere else. After squats or deads I may feel tired, and maybe slightly sore the next day but it's minor, and definitely gone the next day. However after I do RDL's my hamstrings are wrecked for days. I last did them on Friday, and they are still tight as hell and sore. Is it particular to hamstrings (I know, ridiculous) or is it just mine are weaker then normal?

Thanks for any feedback.

RDLs are more hamstring intensive.

Maybe your hammies are weak compared to everything else being used?

Either way, you'll get used to it.

Thanks that's what I figured (the part about hams being weak). So obviously the best course of action is some focused hamstring work - just keep doing the RDL's.

Thanks that's what I figured (the part about hams being weak). So obviously the best course of action is some focused hamstring work - just keep doing the RDL's.

Just do RDLs after you DL.

Another basic n00b question; I'm on the SS program - so deads once a week. I'll add the assistance (RDL's) after, but at what rep/set scheme should it be done at. I mean I know what the differing schemes are good for (1-5 / 6-10 etc) but with assistance after heavy deads does it matter which one I choose? My guess is since I'm already focusing on strength (3x5) I should just replicate that with my assistance work?

Another basic n00b question; I'm on the SS program - so deads once a week. I'll add the assistance (RDL's) after, but at what rep/set scheme should it be done at. I mean I know what the differing schemes are good for (1-5 / 6-10 etc) but with assistance after heavy deads does it matter which one I choose? My guess is since I'm already focusing on strength (3x5) I should just replicate that with my assistance work?

SS doesn't have RDL's in it... Assistance work is often done for higher reps though, I personally shoot for anywhere from 10-16 reps.

My hamstrings are really strong and they're the only thing that gets really sore, and that's strictly from RDL's. Maybe because it's a really heavy "isolation" exercise?

I can squat, OHP, oly lift, and much more without being nearly as sore as I am when I do RDLs.

RDLs en GMs make you very sore, its normal

Ascendant once said something along the lines of a muscle that is being stretching more will be more sore, so if you have inflexible hamstrings you will find that they are more sore (I can't remember exactly how he put it). I find my hamstring are always a little sore and I have flexibility issues so that made sense to me.

It's mostly the eccentric portion of a lift that causes DOMS. Regular DLs don't even necessarily have an eccentric, whereas RDLs have a very challenging one. So yes, RDLs = teh uber hamd0mz.

Appreciate all the info, and I'll be sure to work in a bit more hamstring flexibility and assistance work to help mitigate the inevitable uber hamd0mz.

bump.

my hamstrings are so fucking wrecked right now from RDLs that I wanna cry. They are twitching and wake me up from sleep. Its fucking outrageous. I'm trying to tennis ball the shit outta them on my chair and its agony. help.

At least its only in your hams, I have DOMS in my ass and my hams right now.

bump.

my hamstrings are so fucking wrecked right now from RDLs that I wanna cry. They are twitching and wake me up from sleep. Its fucking outrageous. I'm trying to tennis ball the shit outta them on my chair and its agony. help.

Blue emu, Tiger balm, Blue goo, Absorbine JR, stuff like that that you rub into the skin usually helps me. but I usually dont take it, but it doesnt sound nearly as bad as yours =x Im sorry man, just get something like that (its cheap) and try and get some blood flowing into it would be my advice, but im not an expert on DOMS (I've only had it a few times, so i probably dont know the proper protocol)

bump.

Have a grownup pat you on the head and tell you it's going to be all right.

A little trick I learned a few days ago was to take a raquetball, lacrosse ball, or any kind of small rubber ball and use it to massage the area of the DOMS. Sounds weird, but it is an easy way to add some decent relief.

Back