DOMS after squatting

edco76

huh?
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So due to a nagging back injury I didnt lift for about 6 weeks. So of course when I got back in there last week I had some pretty good DOMS going the next day. I commented to a friend how badly my quads were hurting because I had squatted the previous day. His response was pretty much that I must be doing it wrong. He said that my glutes and hams should be doing most of the work and if my quads were that sore, I likely had some pretty bad form problems.

Anyway, he used to play O-line and is really strong but I dont know how educated he is as far as these things go but pretty much every time I squat it seems to affect my quads more than anything.

Any truth to what he is saying?

I havent shot a vid in a long time but this is my last one. I doubt my overall form has changed much.

tell your camera man to stop going up and down first
and tell him to film you at hip level...

quads work more on narrow stance high bar squats
the wide low bar stance is all about the hamstrings, butt and lower back

Are you looking for a form critique?

If so: I notice the bar is moving forward over your toes, and you're at risk of tail tucking.

I did very little lifting over the holidays and my legs were sore as shit after squatting. As I recall it was mainly the hams and glutes (although, this could be due to the weighted hypers I did).

I think it's normal for your quads to be sore after squatting.

tell your camera man to stop going up and down first
and tell him to film you at hip level...

Its my wife. I cant tell her shit. Been trying for 12 years. Thanks for the advice tho.

I usually keep my feet just a lil wider than shoulder width.

Are you looking for a form critique?

If so: I notice the bar is moving forward over your toes, and you're at risk of tail tucking.

I did very little lifting over the holidays and my legs were sore as shit after squatting. As I recall it was mainly the hams and glutes (although, this could be due to the weighted hypers I did).

I think it's normal for your quads to be sore after squatting.

Yeah, I noticed that to. Its an old vid and that was actually why I shot it and I could tell I was leaning forward. I have been trying to fix that. Need to shoot a new vid but I usually go alone at 5am and no one is ever there.

Its my wife. I cant tell her shit. Been trying for 12 years. Thanks for the advice tho.

I usually keep my feet just a lil wider than shoulder width.

have you tried yelling at her? :D

can't really watch the form, my head starts to hurt from all the movement :D

but it's normal that the quads hurt
you can't really exclude them from the squat

maybe with some ultra wide low bar squat that looks more like a good morning... :D

This, unless you're doing some sort of high bar narrow stance variant it sounds very odd to me that your quads would be doing the work unless your point of balance was horribly far out front.

Looking at the video I don't really get why your quads would be paying the price, but do try to sit back a bit more and keep the weight close to your heels. Or maybe you just have relatively weaker quads to begin with compared to the rest of your lower body?

I have ongoing back problems that I'm trying to fix and haven't been near weights for two months or something like that. I did a bit of light squatting two days ago and the only place I have DOMS is on the inside of my thighs.

Last edited:
have you tried yelling at her? :D

can't really watch the form, my head starts to hurt from all the movement :D

Its hard to shoot a good form vid when You have to zoom in from the kitchen.

Its hard to shoot a good form vid when You have to zoom in from the kitchen.

images

there isnt truth to what he is saying. he said basically that if your quads were more sore than your posterior chain then it shows there was more emphasis on your quads and that this was wrong. maybe you just have weak quads? and because of that, they were under more stress than your posterior chain. your video uses a normal width stance, and the bar is high on your back - both of those things empahsize your quads, sumo stance squats with the bar a few inches lower on your back will empasize your posterior - but even then, you might still have more doms in your quads if the are a "weak link"

I'm inclined to agree with your friend judging by the video. Of course, I'm not an expert but it looks to me that your centre of gravity moves forwards too much.

Only you will be able to tell but next time you're squatting take a mental note of where your weight is. I get the impression that as you go down your weight moves forwards onto your toes rather than on the heels. You will notice that if your weight is distributed predominantly over the heels then as you push up your glutes will have to work considerably harder than if your weight is further forwards.

However, as GracieStriking mentioned, the distribution of your DOMS aren't necessarily indicative of bad form and their location could be due to other factors.

Back