Dominick Cruz: "What did I do before I got hurt? Nobody talks about that."

He beat Demetrious Johnson at his own game. Seeing how well DJ has done in flyweight, that accomplishment speaks volumes to me at least.

Renan Barao is a beast, but I think Dominick will turn their fight into a technical point-fight. Not saying that Barao can't play that game, because that's basically what he did against Faber, but Cruz shouldn't be underestimated.

Barao has the edge in power and submissions, but I don't think Dominick is going to let Barao touch him very easily. Cruz's movement is amazing and I think he has a fair chance of outpointing Barao if he's still in the shape he was before the injury.

He beat Demetrious Johnson at his own game. Seeing how well DJ has done in flyweight, that accomplishment speaks volumes to me at least.

Renan Barao is a beast, but I think Dominick will turn their fight into a technical point-fight. Not saying that Barao can't play that game, because that's basically what he did against Faber, but Cruz shouldn't be underestimated.

Barao has the edge in power and submissions, but I don't think Dominick is going to let Barao touch him very easily. Cruz's movement is amazing and I think he has a fair chance of outpointing Barao if he's still in the shape he was before the injury.

what a few leg kicks can do for you

I really like Dominick and I think the way people rag on him is pretty sad. The guy has had two terrible injuries back to back and yet to hear him talk with so much confidence is rather incredible.

He's one of the more verbally eloquent fighters going as well and seems genuinely very introspective and self aware which is also refreshing these days.

I hope he beats Barao and stays healthy for many years to come.

I like Cruz, i think his footwork and combinations are really amazing to watch. I think a speed and footwork based fighter coming back after 2 years due to 2 ACL surgeries at the same level he left at is incredibly unlikely.

No one is talking about Cruz because he hasn't fought for two years and only fought twice in the big show. Same guys in the division as WEC sure, but he got exposure in only 2 fights on the big stage. 2 years is ancient history in the fight game.

.... Also Barao has finished in each of his defenses.

You're absolutely right, but at the same time, you would think that if any of them beat or really believed they could beat Cruz, they MIGHT have stayed at 135. Also, having Faber be your best win isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like Faber is a can. The only person who has beaten Faber that Faber is NOT their best win is Aldo, and that's because his best win is probably over Edgar.

No doubt Faber is a good win. Faber is a perennial contender and was a great champ but 135 was a very weak division at the time of Cruz's reign. There are a bunch of good fighters now that IMO would have done better against DC than the guys who dropped to 125.

It's crazy to think that in the time he's been out, they've started a new weight class, had a mini tournament (which got held up by a draw) for the first champion, and the champ has defended twice since (three times by the time Cruz fights again). That's a hell of a time to be out.

Joseph Benavidez was the number two ranked bantamweight before dropping to 125. He cut that weight because he had already lost twice to Dominick Cruz.

Which IMO showed the lack of depth in that division at the time. I love the smaller weight classes but only now are they finally starting to fill out with quality fighters.

After seeing the difference in GSP after his surgery, I fear for Cruz.

Don't pretend like his second fight against Urijah was a snooze fest. That was an awesome main event
One interesting fight doesn't mean that he's entertaining to watch overall. Jon Fitch had one or two good fights; his other wins in the UFC were all coma-inducing.

Nobody remembers Cruz because he has never finished a fight

Barao, on the other hand...

Finished Pickett, McDonald and Wineland all in spectacular fashion

Nobody misses you Dom

He wants people to talk about what he did before he got hurt: Go to a decision 4 times in a row, one doctors stoppage and before that 4 more decisions....

What doesn't he understand? He hasn't fought in TWO YEARS and wants people to talk about what he's done?? LoL. Is he serious? Does he think he's some legend? Someone needs to sit down with this young man and talk some sense into him.

He wants people to talk about what he did before he got hurt: Go to a decision 4 times in a row, one doctors stoppage and before that 4 more decisions....

So every fight that goes to a decision is shit?

One interesting fight doesn't mean that he's entertaining to watch overall. Jon Fitch had one or two good fights; his other wins in the UFC were all coma-inducing.

I disagree. While he doesnt go for KO shots he does use amazing footwork and head movement to totally outbox his opponents. That is entertaining to watch.

What doesn't he understand? He hasn't fought in TWO YEARS and wants people to talk about what he's done?? LoL. Is he serious? Does he think he's some legend? Someone needs to sit down with this young man and talk some sense into him.

He was indisputably the best in his division before the injury, that's something worth remembering.

Jeez, the Cruz hate is real. Terrible.

Back