DOJ to Release Withheld Fast and Furious Documents: Unanswered Questions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 491001
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 491001

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...t-n2458557?amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

(First to report that I saw)

Looks like documents that were withheld by Eric Holder, then designated "executively priveledged" by former president Barack Obama are set to be released to the public. I didn't follow this story too closely and am curious what, if any, unanswered questions exist in the minds of those who objected to the program of controlled gun-running in Mexico to ensnare bad actors. If there are, are folks optimistic they'll be abswered by the releases?

"Operation Fast and Furious was a secret ATF program, overseen heavily at the highest levels at the Department of Justice, which took place between September 2009 and December 2010. ATF agents repeatedly and knowingly allowed individuals working for Mexican cartels to traffic thousands of AK-47s, .50 caliber rifles and handguns into Mexico. The operation ended in 2010 when [Border Patrol] Agent [Brian] Terry was murdered and years of coverups surrounding his death and the extent of the operation ensued. Hundreds, if not thousands of Mexican citizens have been murdered as a result of the U.S. government putting guns into the hands of narco-terrorists and a number of firearms trafficked during the operation have been found at additional crime scenes in the United States."

They should not have given those Mexicans guns. It was the wrong thing to do.

But seriously, Eric Holder should have been canned.

They should not have given those Mexicans guns. It was the wrong thing to do.

But seriously, Eric Holder should have been canned.
To the best of your understanding is there anything that he's still on the hook for or would it have taken quicker action to charge/adjudicate?

To the best of your understanding is there anything that he's still on the hook for or would it have taken quicker action to charge/adjudicate?

They didn't really trace the guns and they didn't go in and take down the people that were the ultimate end buyers.

The gun sellers kept complaining to the ATF because they thought these buyers (straw purchasers) were supposed to be stopped before they actually sold the guns, but the same buyers kept showing up and the ATF told them to keep selling the guns.

The only unanswered questions that I'm aware of is just how long the admin knew that the program was a failure and continued forcing sellers to provide guns to the straw buyers.

"Operation Fast and Furious was a secret ATF program, overseen heavily at the highest levels at the Department of Justice, which took place between September 2009 and December 2010. ATF agents repeatedly and knowingly allowed individuals working for Mexican cartels to traffic thousands of AK-47s, .50 caliber rifles and handguns into Mexico. The operation ended in 2010 when [Border Patrol] Agent [Brian] Terry was murdered and years of coverups surrounding his death and the extent of the operation ensued. Hundreds, if not thousands of Mexican citizens have been murdered as a result of the U.S. government putting guns into the hands of narco-terrorists and a number of firearms trafficked during the operation have been found at additional crime scenes in the United States."

What was the US government's supposed motive in wanting to intentionally arm the cartels? I've never really seen a satisfactory answer to that question.

What was the US government's supposed motive in wanting to intentionally arm the cartels? I've never really seen a satisfactory answer to that question.
I THINK the idea of the operation from the Gun Store workers perspective was these straw purchasers would get arrested before the sale. But, the BATF told the stores to keep selling and no one was ever arrested.

Nobody is that stupid, the same fucking thing they try every time a gun related crime makes nation news, except this time they were going to invent the crisis they claim they want to solve

Not sure I can provide a satisfactory answer; TTBOMK they were curious to see where, when, how, how many etc guns resurfaced during their normal border law enforcement activities in order to (not entirely sure). Also not sure if there was Mexican law enforcement coopoeration or not.

I THINK the idea of the operation from the Gun Store workers perspective was these straw purchasers would get arrested before the sale. But, the BATF told the stores to keep selling and no one was ever arrested.
Sounds more like a social experiment than an effective inside job to entrap bad dudes.

Does anyone know what good came of the operation if any?

It's an arms deal coverup
There is nothing to suggest that's the case. It's very obvious that this was a high-level fuck up of a very flawed law enforcement program, with a lot of obstruction by Holder.

I'm not sure what questions are left to answer.

There is nothing to suggest that's the case. It's very obvious that this was a high-level fuck up of a very flawed law enforcement program, with a lot of obstruction by Holder.

I'm not sure what questions are left to answer.
The guns were never meant to be tracked, it was an excuse to sell weapons to "criminals" which is a crime

The answer to that depends on whether you think the CIA is in the drug business.

1.- Give weapons to gun traffickers.
2.- Allows said traffickers to smuggle them to Mexico.
3.- Allow said guns to fall in the hands of ruthless criminal cartels.
4.- ????????
5.- Profit.

Sure, it could have just been poor judgment mixed with ineptitude. The more skeptical side would point out how before F&F came to light that Hilary was using Mexican crimes committed with US guns as another reason for more firearms legislation.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/25/clinton.mexico/index.html

The United States shares the blame for Mexican drug trafficking and the attendant violence that has killed thousands in the past year alone, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Wednesday.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Mexico for a series of meetings on the drug crisis and other issues. "Our insatiable demand for illegal drugs fuels the drug trade," she said en route to Mexico City, Mexico, according to pool reports.

"Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians. So, yes, I feel very strongly we have a co-responsibility."

Nobody is that stupid, the same fucking thing they try every time a gun related crime makes nation news, except this time they were going to invent the crisis they claim they want to solve

You know this is pure tin foil hat, right?

Back