Doing BJJ after muay thai

TroldeAnsigt

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello, I am relatively new to the world of grappling, but I have trained stand up for a little while, and am doing muay Thai now.

In ny gym, right after muay thai there is bjj training. And I was wondering if it would be smart to do grappling right after striking?
Would it be smarter to just learn one art at a time?
Also, is it okay that I go to grappling all sweaty and maybe skip their warm up, or at least take it easy?

Just go and try it and see how it works out and speak to the instructor about warmups. Personally I'd do some of the warm-up as usually it contains grappling movements you need to know. But maybe skip the running around bit whilst you get your Gi on.

Just go and try it and see how it works out and speak to the instructor about warmups. Personally I'd do some of the warm-up as usually it contains grappling movements you need to know. But maybe skip the running around bit whilst you get your Gi on.

I don't have a gi, but fair enough haha.

I really didn't get much answer though. Is it bad to train two things after another? Getting better at stand up is a priority, but I think it would be fun to do some grappling as well. I don't want it to interfere with the stand up though.

It's not bad to do both, lots of people do. Change your shirt between classes

Nothing wrong with learning both. Grappling will toughen you up for stand-up and help your cardio

It's not a bad idea at all. Just take a small snack with you to quickly eat in between classes, you will probably have little energy to train if you don't.

trust me, once you start grappling, it will become your priority

I don't know if this will happen. I have been watching some bjj videos recently though, on youtube. So my interest has shifted a little haha.
What I have against bjj as a sport though, is the butt scooting, and the other silly things. Like wanting to be in guard and just stalling etc.

Hello, I am relatively new to the world of grappling, but I have trained stand up for a little while, and am doing muay Thai now.

In ny gym, right after muay thai there is bjj training. And I was wondering if it would be smart to do grappling right after striking?
Would it be smarter to just learn one art at a time?
Also, is it okay that I go to grappling all sweaty and maybe skip their warm up, or at least take it easy?

In your shoes, I would do the harder class first. I've read and been advised to lift weights or work out further after BJJ.

Missing warmup doesn't exactly making you appealing to your teammates. Neither does smelly body odor and sweat. Thats just my opinion... nevermind, its everyone elses too. I don't mean to be rude or anything. Best of luck!

Used to do muay thai followed by bjj 6-7 years ago, imo it's better to do this way than the other as you can skip the bjj warm up and then the technics/flow part of bjj is not too hard on the body and you have some energy back to roll.
I am only training bjj now though not enough time anymore and I just enjoy grappling even more

In your shoes, I would do the harder class first. I've read and been advised to lift weights or work out further after BJJ.

Missing warmup doesn't exactly making you appealing to your teammates. Neither does smelly body odor and sweat. Thats just my opinion... nevermind, its everyone elses too. I don't mean to be rude or anything. Best of luck!

Yeah I thought about it, and there was a tip in this thread that said to change clothes. I think that's what I would do, after I buy 2 rashguards.
And I think I will do the warm up if I went, except I would maybe not go too hard at it, and focus on moving correctly more.

And no hate man, I can see how it would be shit to roll with a smelly cunt haha

Used to do muay thai followed by bjj 6-7 years ago, imo it's better to do this way than the other as you can skip the bjj warm up and then the technics/flow part of bjj is not too hard on the body and you have some energy back to roll.
I am only training bjj now though not enough time anymore and I just enjoy grappling even more

This is something I thought about as well..
If i have enough energy for another training. I have done it once before, and I think it went fine. Except i tried to wrestle as well as the third training in a row. Didn't go as well when we wrestle sparred hahah.
I might bring a little snack or something to have between class. Or just eat a shit ton food two hours before first training.

Thanks for the advice though

Don't skip the warm ups!!! A lot grappling specific conditioning & drilling is done during jitz warm ups. Just bring a towel with you and dry off after MT so you aren't all gross for the people that just stepped on the mats.

I'm going to be the opposite thought, but for now I think you should focus on one before the other prior to MMA. These days no coach is going to let their fighter jump into MMA prior to competing in BJJ and MT/KB, so its good to find your base and compete in that first, then take on the other; And then go to MMA afterwards.

My coach noticed this problem here years back with guys too one dimensional going straight into MMA and getting fucked, so he implemented a plan that all fighters need 2-3 MT fights/exhibitions and 2 BJJ tourneys (min) before getting into MMA. And I do agree with it, I've seen first hand pure-bred BJJ guys get shut down by good strikers, and pure MT guys get fucked on the ground by good grapplers.

Used to do 90 min mma class (with sparring) then 90 minutes grappling, its fine and despite what some people are saying, normal. It was tireing however. 2 1 hr classes would be better.

I got in best shape of my life when I was double dipping classes bjj and Muay Thai. At the gym it was doing it at, it varied as to which one was first so that was pretty cool. If you have the time I highly recommend it!

As for the warmups of either, I didn't skip them all but I did miss a bit each class due to changing attire between my gi and Muay Thai shorts. I didn't feel bad at all as I just worked hard for the previous hour so the guys that came in do one class didn't really have any issue with it and neither did my instructors.

im at a gym now with an equally good bjj program but has a very undeveloped Muay Thai program. I MISS those days so if you can do it do it

I got in best shape of my life when I was double dipping classes bjj and Muay Thai. At the gym it was doing it at, it varied as to which one was first so that was pretty cool. If you have the time I highly recommend it!

As for the warmups of either, I didn't skip them all but I did miss a bit each class due to changing attire between my gi and Muay Thai shorts. I didn't feel bad at all as I just worked hard for the previous hour so the guys that came in do one class didn't really have any issue with it and neither did my instructors.

im at a gym now with an equally good bjj program but has a very undeveloped Muay Thai program. I MISS those days so if you can do it do it

Sounds really good man! I think the bjj program here is very good, they just came home from a tourney and some of their guy's won. They're white belts. And the muay Thai is great as well, it's done by a guy who is active and just won a championship.

But did your stand up suffer? Or did you progress equally in them?

Sounds really good man! I think the bjj program here is very good, they just came home from a tourney and some of their guy's won. They're white belts. And the muay Thai is great as well, it's done by a guy who is active and just won a championship.

But did your stand up suffer? Or did you progress equally in them?

I progressed in both just fine according to how hard I trained. I don't understand your concern there. How do you think you're stand up may suffer?

Obviously if you don't want to grapple you don't have to but I was seeking balance

Back