Dog Park Horror Stories

Ok, I think I've told this story before.... I brought my 4 month old puppy to the dog park and among the 15 or so people there was a mid to late teens retard. He's there with his mom and his dog. So this special needs fellow comes up to me and says "mister, can I pet your puppy?"

I say "sure go ahead"

My dog was rambling around smelling things and minding his own business. This kid goes to pet him but my dog just keeps cruising around and doesn't stop to be petted.

This kid turns and full on soccer kicks my dog right in the ribs.

Dog goes flying and rolls to a stop 10 feet away crying and freaked out.

I say "what the fuck!" And run over as the kid is advancing on my dog again.

I got there and delivered a stiff arm to the shoulder just as he swings his leg to deliver another kick.

I yell "stop!" As his mom runs over and grabs his hand.

All the other A-holes at the park start yelling at me to keep my hands off him.

The mom took her kid from the park at that point and I learned my lesson about dog parks.

Interdasting story

i love this story. remember it back from another dog park thread last year.

damn, why are JRT's such little shits most of the time lol, I still feel bad for the guy ha

Because most people people don't put the time or effort into them. A JRT may be small but they're very energetic and always needs to be doing something. They're not really an apartment dog. Mine's 12 and she's always on the move.

I've never had a problem with medium-large sized dogs at dog parks, although I've seen some, it seems most people who take their dogs to places they know there will be other dogs are confident in their dogs level of training.

Small dogs however, especially toy dogs have attacked my dogs multiple times. I literally had this chihuahua hanging off my akita x rottis neck while he held his head up and looked at me like..."what do i do with this thing boss???'

Lady freaked out and said her dog was 'defending itself'....just ran up barking and latched on to my dogs neck....

My dog is too small for a standard dog park. She's also an asshole to other dogs. My guess is her previous owners, who surrendered her to the SPCA, did not socialize her what-so-ever. It's a shame because she's a really playful and loving dog.

I suppose if I was 6lbs and only a few inches off the ground I would be scared of pretty much everything that moved too. I don't think I would choose to growl and bark at anything that came close though.

Small dogs that act tough are irritating.
They like to dish it out but can't take it.

There are several dog parks within a few miles of where I live. I am there regularly with my aussie/sheltie mix and I've never once had an issue. But from talking to the same people who are there at the same time I am, I've only ever heard of one story.

My dog Rufus has a buddy Rocky. Rocky is a 4 year old 125lb. Alaskan Malamute. Rocky is fat and lazy. He just wants to lay. He's extremely friendly and playful when he feels like playing but on the whole, he lays off to the side and crews sticks. I see Rocky probably once a week if not more in the summer and I've never heard him so much as bark let alone show signs of aggression. He's a great dog. His owner told me a story about him playing with 2 German Shepards. Not exactly sure how it happened but one of the GSs jumped up and latched onto the back of Rocky's neck. The GS got flung off and Rocky pinned him down by the throat seconds later. Blood everywhere from the GS and Rocky had a little puncture from the initial bite.

He's not my dog but I was proud of him for being a general badass and handling himself.

A lot of dog owners are legit as retarded as the kid in that second post. They let their dogs do whatever they want either because they haven't trained it or don't care or don't understand what is going on.

I can't take my dog to the park because she's mean. What also ticks me off is people in my apartment complex that taking their dogs outside without leashes. My dog is not nice. She's not going to kill you or your dog, but I keep her on a leash (duh). But if your dog is not on a leash and comes up to my dog when I'm taking her out and my dog bites your dog, I KNOW they would blame me like it's my fault they are a retard and don't leash their dog and I ain't gonna give a F.

the last time i took my dog to the dog park, some asshole with a doberman wouldnt get it under control when it kept getting aggressive with my husky

i dont mind dogs playing rough, but a few times it would bite her until she yelped and didnt let go until she muscled her way out of it (shes thick solid and tight, just submissive until pressed). i started standing over her and pushing the doberman away and the owner got mad for pushing his dog. "stop touching him, hes a nice dog, he isnt hurting her!". i told him to get his away from mine or i would handle it myself. after 2-3 minutes of him yelling for me to stop touching his dog (as it was snapping at my dog who was laying between my ankles). it bit her and wouldnt let go, so i punched it in the neck as hard as i could and it ran away whimpering

i had a big scene with the guy and he stormed out of the park

that was not the first time someone with a "dangerous" breed was fucking with all the other dogs so stopped going. my dog has been attacked by a pit bull one time since (made a thread on it) that i had to defend her from

i just dont trust random owners anymore unless they really display control over their dog

At this dog park I go to one guy pulled out a gun and executed this dog that he felt was getting to aggressive with his dog. The dog was a pitbull so I don't know if he freaked out and overreacted or if he was in the right. I saw some post on FB that said the guy overreacted.

I've taken my dog a couple of times and I basically decided to keep her to herself when I go. It's a huge park and I can walk off into the wilderness a bit and get away from everyone. She doesn't seem to mind because the dogs at the park usually harass her. She's at the very minimum of being considered a "big dog" so 99% of the time she's the smallest dog. On top of that she's insanely submissive and only reacts when she's trying to be mounted. One dog was literally licking her ears nonstop the whole time. She didn't mind and let it happen until he started trying to mount and bite the back of her neck. The owner got tired of it though and went home he couldn't get the dog to stop. Luckily for me the owner was at least giving a shit.

your dog snarled at another dog and that is a horror story??????

My dog is too small for a standard dog park. She's also an asshole to other dogs. My guess is her previous owners, who surrendered her to the SPCA, did not socialize her what-so-ever. It's a shame because she's a really playful and loving dog.

I suppose if I was 6lbs and only a few inches off the ground I would be scared of pretty much everything that moved too. I don't think I would choose to growl and bark at anything that came close though.

Small dogs that act tough are irritating.
They like to dish it out but can't take it.

The toy dog problem is predominantly due to the fact that most small dog owners will pick up their dogs and carry them around a lot of the time and treat them as equals. Then they wonder why they snap at dogs.

Dogs show submission by rolling onto their back and exposing their belly. When you spend their entire time as a puppy carrying them around at human height and continue into their adulthood, they think they are the boss. Then they attack bigger dogs, get destroyed and the bigger dogs get blamed.

I'm just glad my dogs are well trained and will ignore little dogs as they are not a real threat to me or my dog.

As a qualified dog trainer, the owner of DDK9 has my dream job. Training dogs for protection.

Old ladies dog attacks a 'thugs' pitbull. Pitbull is trained. No response. If this was in the bronx the little dog would be killed and media stories would circulate. Blame the owner, not the breed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zlC_IxfEyg

??? how do i post a video? The youtube thing doesnt work?

The toy dog problem is predominantly due to the fact that most small dog owners will pick up their dogs and carry them around a lot of the time and treat them as equals. Then they wonder why they snap at dogs.

Dogs show submission by rolling onto their back and exposing their belly. When you spend their entire time as a puppy carrying them around at human height and continue into their adulthood, they think they are the boss. Then they attack bigger dogs, get destroyed and the bigger dogs get blamed.

I'm just glad my dogs are well trained and will ignore little dogs as they are not a real threat to me or my dog.

As a qualified dog trainer, the owner of DDK9 has my dream job. Training dogs for protection.

Old ladies dog attacks a 'thugs' pitbull. Pitbull is trained. No response. If this was in the bronx the little dog would be killed and media stories would circulate. Blame the owner, not the breed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zlC_IxfEyg

??? how do i post a video? The youtube thing doesnt work?

[y t] [/y t] without the spaces. After the watch? bit.

I am guilty of carrying the dog around a bit.
Definitely guilty of treating her like an equal.

I will accept whatever shame these admissions bring upon me.

I have a medium sized female retriever mix who loves small dogs but doesn't get to meet them very often. She's very submissive and that's part of the reason she doesn't like dogs of her own size, they're just way too rough normally. Within 5 minutes of arriving a male dog around her size had dedicated himself to picking on her. I asked his owners to stop him and one of them glanced at me and then they both proceeded to ignore me. (late-teens girl and a middle aged woman)

When I turned around he had the long hair of her tail in his mouth and was tugging it while she was trying to get some water. She turned around at one point and growled as he was dragging her by the tail. I jogged over threw a leash on her and left.

My dog isn't too keen on playing with other dogs, but we do try to get her to socialize. She'll growl at dogs that get in her face, but that is pretty typical behavior. There's a difference between defensive and offensive actions from dogs. If your dog is picking fights with other dogs, then you have a problem.

Ok, I think I've told this story before.... I brought my 4 month old puppy to the dog park and among the 15 or so people there was a mid to late teens retard. He's there with his mom and his dog. So this special needs fellow comes up to me and says "mister, can I pet your puppy?"

I say "sure go ahead"

My dog was rambling around smelling things and minding his own business. This kid goes to pet him but my dog just keeps cruising around and doesn't stop to be petted.

This kid turns and full on soccer kicks my dog right in the ribs.

Dog goes flying and rolls to a stop 10 feet away crying and freaked out.

I say "what the fuck!" And run over as the kid is advancing on my dog again.

I got there and delivered a stiff arm to the shoulder just as he swings his leg to deliver another kick.

I yell "stop!" As his mom runs over and grabs his hand.

All the other A-holes at the park start yelling at me to keep my hands off him.

The mom took her kid from the park at that point and I learned my lesson about dog parks.

Interdasting story

I would have gone totally ape shit and beat the fuck out of that retard. He may be retarded. Even so, he can learn the most basic of lessons. When I do that, this happens and it hurts.

My dog freaks out on other dogs its embarassing. He's a nice pug. He's great with kids and strangers whoever, really sweet.

But when he encounters another dog half the time he loses it and barks. The other half he will be really nice and hang out but as soon as I leave he loses it and viciously barks at the dog. Though he would never actually Bite another dog. Once a bulldog off leash came up to him and of course my dog is barking crazy then the pug bit him and my dog just backed up confused (although continued barking once he was out of bite length ).

So I don't take him to dog parks. Everyone in my nerighborhood walks their dogs and let's them all say hi to each other when they walk. I'm the guy with the cone of shame that has to cross the street whenever there's another dog walking

At least you know this. I can't tell you how many people in my neighborhood let their huge dogs run around off leash. Then they try to attack my wife and/or our dog. We have to fend them off only to have the owners come out too late and say, "Oh, she's friendly."

One time I ran into a lady with a little Schnauzer ambled up to us, and it looked like she was about to say something.

It was the worst.

i just dont trust random owners anymore unless they really display control over their dog

When I go to the dog park in the morning there is a group of 50+ men, who are in total control of their pets and I always have a good time. Sometimes i'm forced to go in the evening though and thats when the younger (less in control) people come out and its nerve racking.

Dog parks only work in decent areas. When I lived in Portland, I never had a problem at any of the dog parks. However, when I lived in South Texas they tried to open a dog park, but it didn't last more than 6 months before my city shut it down, due to all the dog fights and violence that occurred there.

I would see the occasional dumb-shit with a pit bull in Portland too, but the park I went to in Texas would be about 75% pits on a typical afternoon, and the bulk of these dogs were owned by trash. It was a really bad scene. I took my dog a few times, but after seeing a few really bad dog fights, I new my dog would be eventually attacked, so I quit taking her there just before they shut it down.

Its funny you say that because I live in Texas and you basically described my local park minus the fights. The pit bulls who come in are usually chill and keep to themselves but some are annoying as hell and want to horse play with all the dogs of different sizes and shapes.

The offending dog in my OP was a Pit.

I love Pits btw

Back