Does your BJJ coach recommend weight lifting or jogging to supplement BJJ ?

Started deadlifting a few weeks ago ( after reading again and again how important it is in Sherdog forums), never did it before cause I was always kind of afraid to hurt my back.
Now I just don't understand why I have not included this exercises in my routines for years, so good for overall strength (back/shoulder/grips/legs)

You guys think lifting once a week would benefit me?

I'm 147 pounds.

I find it odd that wrestlng coaches in the USA encourage weight training but most BJJ coaches seem not to unless they are coaching full time competitors. The same is true for jogging, which is encourage by boxing coaches but not BJJ coaches.

I'm looking for things I can do to improve Bjj outside of training.
Jump rope

Started deadlifting a few weeks ago ( after reading again and again how important it is in Sherdog forums), never did it before cause I was always kind of afraid to hurt my back.
Now I just don't understand why I have not included this exercises in my routines for years, so good for overall strength (back/shoulder/grips/legs)

Deadlift is the King of Lifts. A lot of people focus on what they can Bench, but DL is a far greater test of overall strength. And given how many times in a roll or match you will attempt to pull your opponent in one direction or another, far more important for Grappling.:cool:

Another point I will make regarding strength training for BJJ is: find your own Big Three.

A lot of people will make the mistake of trying to copy Powerlifters, because they are some of the strongest athletes on the planet. So they base their training on Squat, Bench and Deadlift. Now, these are fantastic exercises, especially the Deadlift as I explained in my previous post. But only if you can do them without injury.

If you do a lot of Grappling, then at some point you are going to suffer from shoulder injuries. In which case, Benching or Squatting with a barbell might do you more harm than good. A more efficient pressing exercise might be a a Dumbbell Bench variation with your hands in a neutral position, such as the Hex Press. Or, if you're really lucky, your gym will have the Football or Swiss bar, which was specifically designed to allow American Footballers to continue to Bench and Overhead Press while injured.

The Safety Bar allows one to Squat with one's hands placed in front, so the shoulder joint is not put under pressure. If you suffer from a knee injury, Squatting to a Box might allow you to lift heavy without making it worse.

I have nothing but the highest regard for Powerlifters. But it's a mistake to slavishly follow the training systems for another sport. Take what works best for you from Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting etc, and modify it to fit your own needs and capabilities.

Last edited:
Deadlift is the King of Lifts. A lot of people focus on what they can Bench, but DL is a far greater test of overall strength. And given how many times in a roll or match you will attempt to pull your opponent in one direction or another, far more important for Grappling.:cool:

Nah breh, teh 275 is the GOAT mark of peak performance

Jogging/jumping rope and doing compound lifts makes rolling a lot more pleasant. Keep in mind you don't have to be nearly as good at these activities as a runner or a weightlifter, which is something I think people try to do. 3-4 times a week I lift for 20-30 minutes and run for 20-30 minutes.

Some good advice here. Years ago I was looking for help on the s&c forums. Jrt6 told me to just squat, bench, and dead lift 2 times a week. It did wonders. I will do that for about 4-5 weeks before I get too bored.
I like to mix up my training and try new exercises that keep my body guessing. The exercises have included
Yoga
Hiking
Rock climbing
Swimming
Mountain biking
Running
Kickboxing
Other stuff
I like to swim in the summer. If I go to 24 hr fitness I'll jog, lift and swim for about an hour total. Right now I'm a lazy bum and only doing bjj 2 times a week with a little hiking /walking. However, my back, shoulder, groin, and fingers are coming back to life! My mat performance yesterday was surprisingly good. I just turned 50 and I'm still going hard.

Some good advice here. Years ago I was looking for help on the s&c forums. Jrt6 told me to just squat, bench, and dead lift 2 times a week. It did wonders. I will do that for about 4-5 weeks before I get too bored.
I like to mix up my training and try new exercises that keep my body guessing. The exercises have included
Yoga
Hiking
Rock climbing
Swimming
Mountain biking
Running
Kickboxing
Other stuff
I like to swim in the summer. If I go to 24 hr fitness I'll jog, lift and swim for about an hour total. Right now I'm a lazy bum and only doing bjj 2 times a week with a little hiking /walking. However, my back, shoulder, groin, and fingers are coming back to life! My mat performance yesterday was surprisingly good. I just turned 50 and I'm still going hard.

Someone once discribed BJJ as, "weaponized Yoga":D

Back