Does your BJJ coach recommend weight lifting or jogging to supplement BJJ ?

If people are doing 3-6 hours of practice per day do you still have them lift heavy a few times per week or do you build the S&C into the grappling workouts?
I use periodization. When someone is in a strength building mesocycle, I do not have them on the mat for 6 hours a day.

He said he got a doctor to prescribe them but has been pretty open about why he used them

Actually his reasoning for using "prescribed steriods" is because he claims he has had a pituitary disorder since the age of 12.

They win with something else though. In BJJ, a pin or holding gets you zero points. There isnt a single pin that gets you points, or riding time on top. In wrestling, this will terminate the match like a submission.

You get 3 points for passing the guard. That requires a pin for three seconds to establish. You won't get points if the guy is able to turtle on you. Most guys will attempt to turtle to avoid the pass points. So you have to pin the opponent down if you want to be a successful guard passer. It gets a little gray when he's on his side, but generally the refs want the guy mostly flattened.

Knee on belly is a specific pin that counts for 2 points. Mount is another specific pin that counts for 4 points.

It's not exactly like wrestling, but all of these are still pins you have to establish for three seconds. And while holding longer won't directly give you additional points, it prevents your opponent from scoring back. Typically you have a lead in points when you get to these pins, so if you can hold them well, you have a huge advantage in the match.

Pinning has been my main competitive strategy since purple belt. It's one of the three major strategies. The other two would be 1) scoring primarily from the bottom via guard sweeps/back takes and 2) just hunting subs.

Actually his reasoning for using "prescribed steriods" is because he claims he has had a pituitary disorder since the age of 12.
Is this recent? Because I've listened to multiple podcasts where he talks about why he used them since his first retirement.. If you're referring to the first time he failed yes.. but since the USDA test failure he's been shockingly open about it, said Joe Rogan advised him to own it rather than shirk...

Is this recent? Because I've listened to multiple podcasts where he talks about why he used them since his first retirement.. If you're referring to the first time he failed yes.. but since the USDA test failure he's been shockingly open about it, said Joe Rogan advised him to own it rather than shirk...

You probably are right, I actually have never listened to his pod cast.

As far as wrestling goes, in my opinion,some of the best wrestlers in the world Bouvaisar Satiev, Valentin Jordanov, John W. Smith, Dave Schultz, and the Belaglazov brothers were really not that muscular. Mark Schultz (who was very muscular) described his brother Dave as having the body of a Chemistry Professor. Strength training is important, but it is no substitution for good technique. In other words if you over do it, there is a point of diminishing returns.
PvteGIG.jpg

I find it odd that wrestlng coaches in the USA encourage weight training but most BJJ coaches seem not to unless they are coaching full time competitors. The same is true for jogging, which is encourage by boxing coaches but not BJJ coaches.

I'm looking for things I can do to improve Bjj outside of training.
You should be lifting and jogging to supplement good health not just for BJJ..

yes its strange that BJJ coaches dont encourage outside training. it makes a huge difference

My problem is time spent weight lifting is time not spent training BJJ and im a white belt with mediocre technique.

Last edited:
My problem is time spent weight lifting is time not spent training BJJ and im a white belt with mediocre technique.
Does your academy have classes at all points in the day AND you are on the mat? Can you not lift BEFORE/ AFTER class, or BEFORE/AFTER work, or during lunch breaks?

Why not grapple against stronger guys and grapple more to develop the functional strength in grappling?
Or do partner drills like carrying them or doing grip training like grappling with the gi?
Wouldnt that be better than just lifting?

For me i find that lifting doesnt help unless im doing it wrong and my joints start hurting from heavy lifting. But thats me.
Can you explain to me what functional strength is? The best grip training I've gotten is not from gripping the gi. My grips went up fastest by doing static holds on a fat bar for deadlifts on the tops of my last lift of a set.

Strong is strong. Someone who is strong will be "functionally" strong as well.

So if you can lift a lot of weight but get overpowered on the mat doing a really different movement in a different body position it means you are weak in general?

So if you can lift a lot of weight but get overpowered on the mat doing a really different movement in a different body position it means you are weak in general?
No, but this "functional strength" buzzword and functional training is pretty much BS. Get strong and train your sport. Don't try to get stronger by training your sport if that makes sense. Drill technique, lift heavy shit and keep them separate.

No, but this "functional strength" buzzword and functional training is pretty much BS. Get strong and train your sport. Don't try to get stronger by training your sport if that makes sense. Drill technique, lift heavy shit and keep them separate.

If I feel stronger than people who lift heavy shit and don't train hard why should I change?
Adding some lifting for me to get better and lifting dudes on the occasion I need it, get heavier and have better balance/movement speed seems like it has merit. Stopping getting stronger by training my sport is IMHO stupid. If I can physically dominate someone heavier on steroids who focuses on lifting and doesn't do enough hard bjj training I don't I see why I should switch to his training methodology.

Last edited:
Can you explain to me what functional strength is? The best grip training I've gotten is not from gripping the gi. My grips went up fastest by doing static holds on a fat bar for deadlifts on the tops of my last lift of a set.

Functional Strength is Strength training with a specific practical, and useful purpose in mind.

Body building training, is the isolation of each muscle to make the isolated muscle bigger, while this will make you look more Buff you will not be as strong as an Olympic lifter who uses his whole body to lift the weight up. Training for body building is cosmetic as opposed to Olympic lifts which are functional and transfer over to a sport where you are lifting your opponent. The Olympic lifts are more realistic for lifting an opponent than muscle isolation. This is just on example of functional vs. cosmetic training.

I believe there is such a thing as functional training.

Last edited:
Functional Strength is Strength training with a specific practical, and useful purpose in mind.

Body building training, is the isolation of each muscle to make the isolated muscle bigger, while this will make you look more Buff you will not be as strong as an Olympic lifter who uses his whole body to lift the weight up. Training for body building is cosmetic as opposed to Olympic lifts which are functional and transfer over to a sport where you are lifting your opponent, because when you left your opponent you want to use your legs and your hips.
I didn't say do a body building split, I'm 100% behind a strength training program to be strong while continue to train BJJ. You can do both but I would rather you do deadlifts vs. some gi gripping on a chinning bar as your base for the "strength part". If you want to supplement the strength training even further with the gi grip training, go nuts. But do strength AND train BJJ.

I didn't say do a body building split, I'm 100% behind a strength training program to be strong while continue to train BJJ. You can do both but I would rather you do deadlifts vs. some gi gripping on a chinning bar as your base for the "strength part". If you want to supplement the strength training even further with the gi grip training, go nuts. But do strength AND train BJJ.

I know you didn't, I am using it as an example as Functional training as opposed to other types of training. Dead lifts are considered functional lifts, every muscle in your body is used to put the weight up.

My former instructor wanted me to lift weights before class, so I can rely on technique more than strength.

Back