Does your BJJ coach recommend weight lifting or jogging to supplement BJJ ?

Thycidides

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find it odd that wrestlng coaches in the USA encourage weight training but most BJJ coaches seem not to unless they are coaching full time competitors. The same is true for jogging, which is encourage by boxing coaches but not BJJ coaches.

I'm looking for things I can do to improve Bjj outside of training.

I find it odd that wrestlng coaches in the USA encourage weight training but most BJJ coaches seem not to unless they are coaching full time competitors. The same is true for jogging, which is encourage by boxing coaches but not BJJ coaches.

he recommends me not to hit on the women in class, motherfucking says they belong to him, I am like dude there are plenty to go around

I don't really consider myself a BJJ guy although technically I do have a blue belt in it. I have wrestled for 32 years, and I did Judo for several years as well. Running is very important if you are competing, not so much if you are a hobbyist. The reason being, is the stress and nerve factor. Lets say your resting heart rate is normally 55 beats per minute, when you are nervous (competition time), your resting heart rate will double, so in a relatively short amount of time it will exceed 160 beats per minute and fatigue will set in quick. A lot of people aren't really nervous in practice so they say to themselves "I don't need to run I can wrestle for ever", and then after their first match they are fully fatigued and they don't understand why. When you are running your heart rate is forced to operate at 160 beats per minute for an extended period of time, thus giving you better cardio when you are under stress.

Heavy lifting is the most effective and time efficient method for strengthening the joints and both preventing and rehabilitating injury.

If you lack strength then the coach will recommend lifting, if you lack endurance then he will recommend cardio of some sort like treadmill or running. Swimming is recommended as a good compromise in between.

I was never really into lifting, I did and still do a lot of body weight exercises, push ups, chin ups, sit ups, neck bridges, and rope climbing. Rope climbing in my opinion is one of the most underrated exercises you can do to gain functional strength.

My coach has a master's degree in kinesiology and is a CSCS. He advocates a mix of LISS and metcon circuits for competition prep.

He favors a mix of compound lifts and bodyweight exercises outside of competition.

Two most recent coaches

1 of them knows vastly less about strength and conditioning than I do. He'd be more likely to ask my opinion than the other way around.

The other one is an active competitor, and has his competition people doing strength training, high rep muscular endurance stuff, and low intensity cardio

I hope that every coach would recommend it... you need to be explosive in mostly every combat sport, and lifting helps that

Heavy lifting is the most effective and time efficient method for strengthening the joints and both preventing and rehabilitating injury.

Keeping it 100.

You really get a lot for your money if you learn to do an overhead squat. The ability to do it, I've heard, reduced your chance of being in the hospital by two thirds or something.

He recommends too much running and endurance type workouts imo, and little strength training with old school mentality that its nothing but negative and detrimental (not true).

I prescribed to this a few years ago, and the results were disastrous, I've returned back to my old regimen of heavy strength work while periodizing things decently, and my results within the past year has been nothing but fantastic. I really regret taking bad advice, but I guess its a learning experience.

In his defense he's a striker that took on BJJ later on, so his old striking habits dictate everything overall.

I've trained with another coach (assistant coach/training partner), and he's a wrestler-BJJ guy. He's the opposite and recommends what I basically am doing now: heavy strength training, and sprints.

I only do kb circuits and the occasional bb workout. I remember my first bjj comp and i was dying by the 3rd minute. I still dont do Liss but learned that it is important if you are the competing type

There are many more elite wrestlers on the planet than elite BJJ athletes. Meaning, more kids start training wrestling and continue competing from age 5 than BJJ. I would guess its somewhere around 10-15 times more. When you have that many competitors who are fractions of a percent different, weight training becomes a huge factor.

Keep in mind also, the techniques in wrestling you can use to win is far less than in BJJ. Wrestlers, by the time they are in their early 20's and have been competing for 15 years already, they know these techniques. They have more time at their expense to train things like strength than BJJ athletes because if you do not know the defense to certain things in BJJ, you will get your ass kicked.

One other thing to consider is that the positions in wrestling reward control. Being able to pin someone or hold them down and break them down, this is absolutely critical and it takes a lot of strength. Pinning and holding down in BJJ is useless and gets you nothing. In fact, if you just hold someone down and pin them, you will get penalized.

There are many more elite wrestlers on the planet than elite BJJ athletes. Meaning, more kids start training wrestling and continue competing from age 5 than BJJ. I would guess its somewhere around 10-15 times more. When you have that many competitors who are fractions of a percent different, weight training becomes a huge factor.

Keep in mind also, the techniques in wrestling you can use to win is far less than in BJJ. Wrestlers, by the time they are in their early 20's and have been competing for 15 years already, they know these techniques. They have more time at their expense to train things like strength than BJJ athletes because if you do not know the defense to certain things in BJJ, you will get your ass kicked.

One other thing to consider is that the positions in wrestling reward control. Being able to pin someone or hold them down and break them down, this is absolutely critical and it takes a lot of strength. Pinning and holding down in BJJ is useless and gets you nothing. In fact, if you just hold someone down and pin them, you will get penalized.

If people are doing 3-6 hours of practice per day do you still have them lift heavy a few times per week or do you build the S&C into the grappling workouts?

Most coaches I have asked had said do weight lifting but don't over do it.

Stick with 4 to 5 important lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press and pull ups. You won't over-fatigue yourself but will still get alot of the benefit (basically don't waste your time doing isolation stuff like bicep curls, hammer curls, shoulder press, leg press....ect). Sticking to a couple good lifts will give you most of the benefit without wrecking your body

Most coaches I have asked had said do weight lifting but don't over do it.

Stick with 4 to 5 important lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press and pull ups. You won't over-fatigue yourself but will still get alot of the benefit (basically don't waste your time doing isolation stuff like bicep curls, hammer curls, shoulder press, leg press....ect). Sticking to a couple good lifts will give you most of the benefit without wrecking your body

Standing Barbell shoulder press is fucking great for your strength. It is not an isolation lift.

And KBs are no real replacement for the barbell

Last edited:
If people are doing 3-6 hours of practice per day do you still have them lift heavy a few times per week or do you build the S&C into the grappling workouts?

Do people actually train Bjj that much?

The hardest camp I read about was. 1 technical class and some rolling. 1 drilling class and 1 conditioning class. It was spread over the day and only done 1 week or 2 before the worlds.

Back