Does White Privilege Exist? - Self-Described Redneck Calls Out White Privilege in America

It is what it is. It's not a perfect world, and people are going to look after their bottom line. The owner operating a business in the racist town, might not actually be racist themselves, but it's understandable if they're not willing to lose business because of outside influences. Racism requires hate. If the owner isn't hiring the guy out of hate, that's one thing. Practicality and protecting their business is another. I'm not expecting everyone to be Gandhi, especially if it's going to hurt them.

I'd say the same thing about owners turning away qualified transgenders. It's a business decision. Not necessarily hateful discrimination.

I guess you could argue that he's not racist, just gutless and immoral. He needs to listen to Hulk Hogan's theme song, get all amped up, and do the right thing.

I am a real American, fight the rights of every man. I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life.

lifebuzz-effa3821470741c5ddb1afa775e598eb-original.gif

I guess you could argue that he's not racist, just gutless and immoral. He needs to listen to Hulk Hogan's theme song, get all amped up, and do the right thing.

I guess you could technically argue it's gutless and immoral, sure. Let's face it though, money >>> morals.

Also, it's not like this shit doesn't go on with minority businesses either. If a Jamaican owned restaurant, that serves Jamaican food, and has a Jamaican customer base, interviews two equally qualified people for a position, and one is white, and the other is Jamaican, guess who's getting the job 99 times out of 100? Hint, not the white guy.

One example of WP is that when a black person does something wrong it's automatically attributed to their race.

The same cannot be said for white people.

I guess you could technically argue it's gutless and immoral, sure. Let's face it though, money >>> morals.

Also, it's not like this shit doesn't go on with minority businesses either. If a Jamaican owned restaurant, that serves Jamaican food, and has a Jamaican customer base, interviews two equally qualified people for a position, and one is white, and the other is Jamaican, guess who's getting the job 99 times out of 100? Hint, not the white guy.

Money is absolutely not > Morals. I would say that the vast majority of people run their businesses in an ethical manner in the United States. Most businesses do the right thing, even when it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. I've known lots of small business owners that give up small increases in profit in order to maintain integrity and dignity. If we don't have those things, we really don't have shit.

Jamaica is not a race, it's a country. Italian markets hire Italians too. The Italian restaurant near my house has all Italian immigrants working there (and a few Hispanics). There is a huge difference between hiring people of a certain background because they understand your store's language, culture, products, etc, and simply not hiring somebody because you don't think their skin is acceptable to the community. Those are entirely different things.

Money is absolutely not > Morals.

Not in all cases, but yeah, few are going to sacrifice their bottom line for morals. Within a certain boundary of course. I'm not saying we're all depraved criminals, with absolutely no moral core. There is a line though.

I would say that the vast majority of people run their businesses in an ethical manner in the United States. Most businesses do the right thing, even when it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. I've known lots of small business owners that give up small increases in profit in order to maintain integrity and dignity. If we don't have those things, we really don't have shit.

Small gestures. When push comes to shove, few are going to put their business on the line in a significant way for morals.

Jamaica is not a race, it's a country. Italian markets hire Italians too. The Italian restaurant near my house has all Italian immigrants working there (and a few Hispanics). There is a huge difference between hiring people of a certain background because they understand your store's language, culture, products, etc, and simply not hiring somebody because you don't think their skin is acceptable to the community. Those are entirely different things.

Semantics. It's discrimination if they're equally qualified.

But since you want to play games, let's just blank slate it. Black owner, in a black neighborhood, with a black customer base, interviews two equally qualified people. Black guy and white guy. Who is getting that job 99 times out of 100? It ain't the white guy.

Not in all cases, but yeah, few are going to sacrifice their bottom line for morals. Within a certain boundary of course. I'm not saying we're all depraved criminals, with absolutely no moral core. There is a line though.

Small gestures. When push comes to shove, few are going to put their business on the line in a significant way for morals.

I disagree. I think most people act with integrity and take pride in their business.

Semantics. It's discrimination if they're equally qualified.

But since you want to play games, let's just blank slate it. Black owner, in a black neighborhood, with a black customer base, interviews two equally qualified people. Black guy and white guy. Who is getting that job 99 times out of 100? It ain't the white guy.

Lol, You can't really just make that up and use it as evidence. I've seen no evidence of that at all. I've also seen no evidence of white people only hiring white people. None of this seems to be a common theme in the real world, at least in the United States.

Pretty much every place I go, all over the country, seems to have some diversity on the staff. It's pretty rare that I ever go anywhere with an entire staff that is one race. The only places I can think of are the immigrant owned shops (Korean, in particular), and that's because they are friends and relatives and all speak the same language. Or areas that the staff just happens to reflect the complete lack of diversity in the area.

Lol, You can't really just make that up and use it as evidence. I've seen no evidence of that at all. I've also seen no evidence of white people only hiring white people. None of this seems to be a common theme in the real world, at least in the United States.

Pretty much every place I go, all over the country, seems to have some diversity on the staff. It's pretty rare that I ever go anywhere with an entire staff that is one race. The only places I can think of are the immigrant owned shops (Korean, in particular), and that's because they are friends and relatives and all speak the same language. Or areas that the staff just happens to reflect the complete lack of diversity in the area.

So wait, now racist hiring practices simply don't exist? Okay, then what's the issue? Can we now strike that off of the "white privilege" argument?

Funny how you only took that position once I started bringing minorities and their potentially racist hiring practices into the conversation, though.

So wait, now racist hiring practices simply don't exist? Okay, then what's the issue? Can we now strike that off of the "white privilege" argument?

Funny how you only took that position once I started bringing minorities and their potentially racist hiring practices into the conversation, though.

What in the world are you talking about now? I said that it's not a common theme, it's not something that I come across often at all. I never said it was, there is no shift in my position here.

What in the world are you talking about now? I said that it's not a common theme, it's not something that I come across often at all. I never said it was, there is no shift in my position here.

I think we're done here, but here's what I don't get, and maybe you can clear it up for me. You agreed with this:

Not sure I'd call it immoral . . . that implies it's done or not done due to evil intent. You hire someone who will do a good job and depending on the type of business you're in to help improve your bottom line. If your customer base would be negatively impacted by a hiring decision based on race it could definitely be an issue.

I've essentially been saying the exact same thing, and you took issue with it. Why?

I've essentially been saying the exact same thing, and you took issue with it. Why?

I can't remember yesterday . . . where did I take issue with it?

I can't remember yesterday . . . where did I take issue with it?

Not you. Nac. I'm saying he agreed with the point you made there, which is essentially the same point I was making in terms of judging one's morality when it comes to hiring practices, yet he took great issue with what I said.

I think we're done here, but here's what I don't get, and maybe you can clear it up for me. You agreed with this:

We were discussing a very specific law. Read my response to that from yesterday:

That's how I feel. Some laws are passed for a very specific purpose, and the purpose is researched and determined valid by courts. In the case of the IHS, there is a specific reason why they instituted the policies that they have, and the reason has to be upheld by the court.

That is not the same as simply using your own personal bias to deny somebody a job, like the poster is doing in this thread. He is saying that he would have to think twice to even hire black people because he's heard they are "conflictual" about things and that he thinks it's better to "stick to your own" when hiring. To me, that is highly immoral and extremely racist.

I find it disturbing that more posters refuse to tell him that, honestly.

I specifically stated in my post that personal racial bias is completely unacceptable in hiring practices.

We were discussing a very specific law. Read my response to that from yesterday:

Okay, but your response still agrees with my stance, that sometimes a hiring based on race, doesn't necessarily come down to hateful racism, but practicality, which you seem to acknowledge are two completely different things. Which is what I've been saying.

Simply put, you asked us if it was immoral or not, and he laid out why it might not be. Which was more or less the same reasoning I gave. You agreed with him. You disagreed with me...on the same point. Why?

Okay, but your response still agrees with my stance, that sometimes a hiring based on race, doesn't necessarily come down to hateful racism, but practicality, which you seem to acknowledge are two completely different things. Which is what I've been saying.

Simply put, you asked us if it was immoral or not, and he laid out why it might not be. Which was more or less the same reasoning I gave. You agreed with him. You disagreed with me...on the same point. Why?

You are talking about hiring based on personal bias, he was referring to IHS and a law passed and upheld by the courts. Those are two completely different things.

I am stuck on not believing in white privilege due to the simple fact that neither I nor anyone in my family has received any of the white privilege examples that I have read/seen over the last year or so.

I think I could change my viewpoint on the existence of white privilege if we could agree that every race, ethnicity, gender, etc...also had privilege. I also agree for the most part with the other poster who attempted to prioritize the list of privileged people.

By the same token, I would ask the believers of white privilege to identify the “group” of least privilege people in the US, North America, all 7 continents and then the world.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a person who thinks that white people should feel guilty for being white, (FUCK. THAT. SHIT.) but to live under the notion that life is the same for different races and cultures... (LOL) Racism is a real problem...etc, etc, etc. I would also like to say that the ultimate truism for EVERYONE is that...life is unfair. We are all going to die, which one would think may compel more people to come together to help each other out, but...that's not the case. I digress.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/white-privilege

white privilege noun [ U ]
uk /ˌwaɪt ˈprɪv.əl.ɪdʒ/ /ˌwaɪt ˈprɪv.əl.ɪdʒ/
fact of people with white skin having advantages in society that other people do not have:

The concept of white privilege explains why white people have greater access to society's legal and political institutions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had a lively discussion (to put in mildly) with an ultra conservative GAY man (lololol) at a social function related to my girlfriends work who proclaimed that white privilege isn't real.

My retort was that the POTUS is Trump...and he lost his shit. (he is a Trump supporter of the highest *agnitude)

One of my contentions was that a black candidate would NOT have gotten away with "grab them by the pussy" nonsense, etc, etc, etc.

He then replied by saying that Obama was black, and I said..."he's only half black; if he was full on dark black...he would not have won", to which he laughed and said that Obama was a horrible POTUS, to which I wholly agreed. (Obama was like a parent who wants to be friends with their children instead of disciplining them)

Anyway, in summation, I contend that Trump is one of the most glaring examples of white privilege that one can point to in order to prove it's existence, as Trump may in fact be the dumbest POTUS ever... He may be the MOST UNQUALIFIED ever...

...only the best people folks. Only the best.

"May 17 marks the one year anniversary of the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel leading the Russia investigation. The team has secured 19 indictments and five guilty pleas."

Oh, and IF (I don't think it's likely, but...it's possible?!?) he gets impeached (after Dems possibly get the house back) and gets run out of office, his DUMBFUCK legacy will be amplified...forever.

Love Saul Williams

I am stuck on not believing in white privilege due to the simple fact that neither I nor anyone in my family has received any of the white privilege examples that I have read/seen over the last year or so.

What exactly do you mean by this?

It is not white privilege it is black disprivilege. Just a reminder for all the patriots, blacks have been in this country since its founding and every right to speak out/protest about their issues.

Not you. Nac. I'm saying he agreed with the point you made there, which is essentially the same point I was making in terms of judging one's morality when it comes to hiring practices, yet he took great issue with what I said.

Oh . . . okay . . . I was like, I'm getting old and all but I don't remember that discussion.

Back