Does the UFC no longer have the best welterweight in the world?

Rory seems to have evolved an enormous amount. He seemed extremely confident in his two last fights, like he's had some sort of epiphany about fighting. I was very impressed with the way he handled himself in the Lima fight. To come back from that level of adversity is nothing short of spectacular.

Rory 9-4 UFC
Tyron 16-3-1 UFC/SF (8-2-1 UFC)

Rory 0-1 UFC title fights
Tyron 3-1-1 UFC/SF (3-0-1 UFC) title fights

Since their fight almost 4 years ago
Rory 1-2 UFC, left for Bellator.
Tyron 5-0-1 UFC, captured UFC belt and defended it consistently.

Tyron is a country mile ahead of Rory at this point honestly.

Why would you shit on Rory like that? It's obvious he's among the best welterweights on the planet. Woodley is as well. But why shit on someone like Rory, who's not only a great fighter but is also extremely entertaining to watch.

Hm. Hard to agree with you here, Lima is one of the biggest WWs no doubt, he cuts from 200+, he's huge. He looked bigger than Rory to me..
If i'm not mistaken i heard Smith say he cut from 215 in some camp.

Other than that, i agree, Lima problem is his defensive grappling, he doesn't really know how to fight at his back.

I'm not privy to who cuts how much weight, so this isn't a hill I'm going to die on.

But I didn't think he looked bigger than Rory. In fact, I thought Rory had a modest, but non-negligible size advantage. Didn't Lima weigh in at 169.0lbs for this fight? Why go a whole pound underneath the limit if it's a massive cut?

Anyway, I hope we can agree that Lima is a good fighter. I'd love to see him matched against the UFC top ten.

Rory 9-4 UFC

Solid points. I'd pick Rory in a rematch though.

Why would you shit on Rory like that? It's obvious he's among the best welterweights on the planet. Woodley is as well. But why shit on someone like Rory, who's not only a great fighter but is also extremely entertaining to watch.
I dont mean to say rory is shit. People underestimate what tyron has accomplished.

Rory 9-4 UFC

Not trying to be a dick, butt I don't consider a draw, a majority snoozefest and a an unanimous decision in a fight with like 10 punches thrown "defending consistently".

IMO, apart from that bomb against Robbie, Tyrone hasn't show anything impressive in his fights since the Rory loss. It'd be a coin flip, and only because Woodley is the champ after all.

Would love to have Rory back in the UFC for this fight.

1. Woodley
2. Thompson
3. RDA
4. Askren
5. Lawler

Rory not top 5 to me. Loses to Koreshkov, when and if they fight next. Daley and Lima are top 15 worldwide but not top 5, so it can't make Rory top 1 by itself..

Just get Lawler out of there. Last three got Ko'd stiff, close fight against Cowboy where he flurried for a min in R1 then coasted, then destroyed by RDA. Replace with Rory

I'm not privy to who cuts how much weight, so this isn't a hill I'm going to die on.
Fair enough.

But I didn't think he looked bigger than Rory. In fact, I thought Rory had a modest, but non-negligible size advantage. Didn't Lima weigh in at 169.0lbs for this fight? Why go a whole pound underneath the limit if it's a massive cut?
Idk, maybe he was just being conservative, it was the most important fight of his life.

Anyway, I hope we can agree that Lima is a good fighter. I'd love to see him matched against the UFC top ten.
No doubt. I think he would be, by default, top 5 since he beat Larkinz and looked good doing that, also beat Daley and Koreshkov and i'd rank both at top 15 worldwide. I mean.. that bum Covington is ranked top 5..

How is posting his record shitting on him? He was being objective.

Just get Lawler out of there. Last three got Ko'd stiff, close fight against Cowboy where he flurried for a min in R1 then coasted, then destroyed by RDA. Replace with Rory
Nah. He lost to #1 and #3. No shame in that. Rory got his face destroyed by Lawler and was dominated and totally outclassed by Thompson. Let's keep like that.

How is posting his record shitting on him? He was being objective.
His only reason for posting it though was to make Rory look bad compared to Woodley, which I think there is no reason to. So to you, looking at someone's record without taking into account anything else is being objective? I'm not so sure it is. Rory has looked great throughout his career despite losing.

His only reason for posting it though was to make Rory look bad compared to Woodley, which I think there is no reason to. So to you, looking at someone's record without taking into account anything else is being objective? I'm not so sure it is. Rory has looked great throughout his career despite losing.

Of course there is reason to do so in a thread suggesting Rory is the best welterweight in the world.

He politely made a counter argument composed of facts about their comparative records. And yes, that is objective. Feel free to draw a different conclusion than he did. But you've got no ground to stand on when you claim he was shitting on Rory. He wasn't. It was a good post.

I dont mean to say rory is shit. People underestimate what tyron has accomplished.
Alright, I see your point in wanting to give some praise to Woodley. I agree he is underrated.

Of course there is reason to do so in a thread suggesting Rory is the best welterweight in the world.

He politely made a counter argument composed of facts about their comparative records. And yes, that is objective. Feel free to draw a different conclusion than he did. But you've got no ground to stand on when you claim he was shitting on Rory. He wasn't. It was a good post.
Yes, you might be right considering binny's elaboration above.

Judging by the fact that Rory easily beat Tyrone in an actual fight. Ide say Rory is better.

But he lost to Robbie and Thompson whereas Tyron lost.

I always wonder ; lets imagine 2 fighters. X loses to 5 other fighters. Y wins against them all. X beats Y, who is the best ? Y showed more consistency, maybe built a better legacy, but its hard to say youre better than someone when you lost to him.

However if we look at tenis, sometimes the number one will lose to the number 50, but we dont go around saying that the number 50 is better than him.

Maybe i strayed a little from the topic...

We all know that Rory whooped Tyron. But, that was quite a while ago. I’d pick Rory in a re-match. But, nobody can say with 100% certainty who wins a re-match.

But, if GSP is not actually retired again...

That settles the argument right there.

Back