Does the general public consider grappling as fighting?

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was watching BattleBang and after the grappling portion, the guy said "okay now lets get to the real fighting part".

I thought the "fighting" is meant to inflict damage onto your opponent, so if break their arm, isnt that considered fighting?

I think the general public doesnt believe so.

If they get mad and yell at each other during it, then i think the gen pop considers it fighting

I don't care. When I Osoto Gari them on their head then break their arm their opinion is meaningless.

I think you are right, Queen. Hell, I don't consider it fighting either, although if I were ever in a fight, I'd grapple.

I don't think the general public of which you speak is aware that you can break someone's arm or leg using not much beyond your own legs and hips, or that a smaller guy could take down and control a bigger guy.

I would say no.

People consider wrestling fighting,
and adding submissions can only help, right?

You can say whatever you want but bjj is probably viewed as one of two ways by the people you know.

A) mma roided meatheads
B) you doing a bunch of kata and beating up little kids

Pick your poison.

As an FYI I don't see it as a fight. I like judo or wrestling terminology. Match or playing.

When I was in high school and fights would be set up or happen randomly we always forced them to stand as soon as they started to wrestle.

I wrestled.... and back when I was a punk kid I wasn't interested in watching a fight turn into a wrestling match.

Nor am I interested in watching wrestling on TV now... in mma or elsewhere.

You can say whatever you want but bjj is probably viewed as one of two ways by the people you know.

A) mma roided meatheads
B) you doing a bunch of kata and beating up little kids

Why in the world would they look at grapplers like that?

Oh wait:

I don't care. When I Osoto Gari them on their head then break their arm their opinion is meaningless.

I'm so out of touch with the general public that I have no idea what their concept of fighting is like. I vaguely recall hearing something involving bitch-slapping and clobbering people with a purse, however that always strikes me as a horrible abuse of a designer handbag.

Funny after my competition, some family members and friends asked me "how did the fight go?" I was taken a bit off guard because calling it a fight didn't seem right, but by definition, a grappling match is a fight. Yeah you're not getting punched in the face, but it is a physical contest against another person.

I try not to use the word fight to describe anything except MMA or street fighting. But I don't mind other people calling grappling fighting. What does annoy me is people who will call Boxing or Muay Thai fighting but not Grappling, when pure grapplers are better at fighting than pure strikers. If I had to call one fighting and not call the other fighting, I'd call grappling fighting.

I doubt it. Most people think "fighting" is just the standard "Grab shirt-collar, punch guy in face until bouncer throws us out of the Kenny Chesney/Lil Wayne concert" kinda stuff. Those types don't have any idea of how effective grappling is, so they don't consider it fighting.

To be honest, though, those types of people are also the ones who believe their "street fighting skills" are superior to any trained style, striking or grappling.

What I'm saying is, the General Public are idiots, and have idiot-tier opinions.

90% of my Facebook friends think what I do is homo and purely a sport

they have absolutely no idea that the 120 lb blue belt in my class could end there life on command...literally end there life

ignorance is bliss

Funny after my competition, some family members and friends asked me "how did the fight go?" I was taken a bit off guard because calling it a fight didn't seem right, but by definition, a grappling match is a fight. Yeah you're not getting punched in the face, but it is a physical contest against another person.

I have the same opinion. Im not comfortable calling it a fight. But it kinda is.

90% of my Facebook friends think what I do is homo and purely a sport

they have absolutely no idea that the 120 lb blue belt in my class could end there life on command...literally end there life

ignorance is bliss

Their

As for the topic, I use the word match and so do others. Mostly because in Finland nobody calls a boxing or MMA match a fight either.
I guess my close friends would consider it fighting since they know what it's like since we've rolled a bit. Others, I don't know.

I am not a fan of the term "fighting" to cover anything except street fighting or actual combat. If there are rules and refs then it is not a fight.

Back