Does Scott Coker really think.....

skylolow

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Dazn is going to go after the major US sports and be successful????

On the MMA hour he talks like they are the next massive media company or whatever.

I don't think the monster players in the industry would ever let it happen and I don't think DAZN has the backing to pay the TV rights the big sports get. Maybe they can over pay for one of 3 plus showings of Thurdays night football or something. But to get any type of exclusive deal takes billions to secure. Hell, Fox just paid like 3 billion over 5 years for Thursday night football and its already being broadcast on NFL Network.

I get how Dazn finds success with those sports in other countries but they don't have chance in hell to ever get a foot hold in America with those sports.

It's obvious that Bellator isn't as worried about that American market at the moment. They will always want American viewers, sure, but it doesn't take much to see that Europe is their focus, moving forward. DAZN was an opportunity for Bellator not only to strengthen their spot in the European market, but to immediately make money. No matter how things truly are, Coker is kinda obligated to promote his company's new home for streaming.

It's obvious that Bellator isn't as worried about that American market at the moment. They will always want American viewers, sure, but it doesn't take much to see that Europe is their focus, moving forward. DAZN was an opportunity for Bellator not only to strengthen their spot in the European market, but to immediately make money. No matter how things truly are, Coker is kinda obligated to promote his company's new home for streaming.
some truth to this. at this point in time, american mma pretty much lives and dies by the ufc. bellator fights a real uphill battle with a lot of their shows in the states; that is why you see a lot of what casual fans would consider "throw away events" in the usual bellator pit stops. Dont get me wrong, im a huge fan of a lot of the rising talent bellator has, but only a fool would think that they are main stream.

what i see with bellator focusing on parts of europe is them trying to fill a void that the ufc has left. ufc established and largely left places like the UK and Ireland. coker and friends recognize this and are trying to capitalize. that is why they went on a huge signing spree a couple of weeks ago, and that is why coker is basically trying to hand people like gallagher a belt.

bellator has some names that they could promote in europe and have, in my opinion, the single biggest uk mma fight in daley vs mvp. DAZN offers bellator a lump sum every year. an amount greater than their reported revenue last year. i would have been stupid of them to not take that deal.

Dazn is going to go after the major US sports and be successful????

On the MMA hour he talks like they are the next massive media company or whatever.

I don't think the monster players in the industry would ever let it happen and I don't think DAZN has the backing to pay the TV rights the big sports get. Maybe they can over pay for one of 3 plus showings of Thurdays night football or something. But to get any type of exclusive deal takes billions to secure. Hell, Fox just paid like 3 billion over 5 years for Thursday night football and its already being broadcast on NFL Network.

I get how Dazn finds success with those sports in other countries but they don't have chance in hell to ever get a foot hold in America with those sports.
Netflix started small and then grew big in USA. I don’t see why dazn doesn’t have a chance as well? Trends indicate people leaving the ppv model, they probably will jump on streaming services since that’s the future.

Netflix started small and then grew big in USA. I don’t see why dazn doesn’t have a chance as well? Trends indicate people leaving the ppv model, they probably will jump on streaming services since that’s the future.

You have to remember Netflix casts a massive net over the market with wide variety of media. Dazn is sport heavy and in the US, basically niche sport. That is a much smaller market and will never reach the heights of Netflix. The media deals Dazn need to become a "Netflix" in the sports streaming service field, the other players that hold those deals will never allow it to happen(much much deeper pockets). You will never ever see the day when one of the major sports are on Dazn exclusively. They'll create there own streaming service before that and bypass the middle man and reap all the rewards.

As mentioned. I think Bellator is slowly trying to became the MMA face of Europe.

It feels like they are starting to throw in the towel in the United States a little bit because the UFC is too strong here.

Sure, I get he has to do his whole promoter thing.

He has talked awhile now about being a player in the UK/European market. But any of the UK fans on here can tell you they have a bitch of time catching a Bellator show. Many times its days after the event unless the event is happening in the UK. It shows your that media in that part of the world can't justify putting Bellator on live weekly or even next day tape delayed. Would we support an out of country org in America if it was ran like that, chances are no. Even if they said hey, buy this subscription for $10 and you can watch us I don't think said org would grow much at all in that market. I think this whole European thing is a mix bag at best for Bellator.

Great for Bellator getting the money from Dazn. But I'm not sure it going to do much in growing the product. Enough fans are already bitching about paying to see the guys we already got for "free". Hardcore fans probably don't mind much. But the so-so fans are going to completely abandon ship. Bellator/Viacom got a rude awaken by just a name change of the channel. They lost about 250K in viewers instantly and I predict with the better fighters being on DAZN mostly the avg rating numbers are going to continue to sink down. Don't be surprised if Bellator is moved to CMT sometime next year as it is clearly obvious they really don't fit into the demo of what Paramount is attracting and the ratings will continue to decline. Side note, lower ratings on CMT may actually look better as the avg. rating on CMT is much lower than Paramount. So Viacom would like that better.

As mentioned. I think Bellator is slowly trying to became the MMA face of Europe.

It feels like they are starting to throw in the towel in the United States a little bit because the UFC is too strong here.

I think they are looking to sell, personally.

A big piece of the pie for any MMA org is the US Media deal and they can't cash in on.

But right now its attractive for a buyer if Viacom guarantees a 3 or 5 year TV deal and sells the Dazn rights with it. Now the buyer gets 100 million guaranteed from Dazn and an option for 2 more years they would also get a guarantee money from Viacom(maybe 20 million a year or whatever). But the main thing is a lot of guaranteed money in the next few years and that is worth money. I think Viacom could get out of owning an MMA org with out losing money the venture which is pretty hard to do this field.

Why would the NFL, the NBA, MLB, and MLS go to DAZN and take eyes off their products? DAZN may bid for the NFL Direct Tv rights, which fans can watch any game at anytime, but the major American networks aren't letting go of the NFL. It's by far the number rated show on every American network it is on. And the NBA, the MLS, and MLB gets viewers in the millions, there is no way they get off of American network television to make fans pay a streaming service to watch them. Those leagues may over a service through DAZN so fans again can watch any game, of any team, but they're not get off of major American networks. For example this is how awful pay per view is, the UFC draws 1 to2 to 3 million on FOX and FS1, and that audience gets cut not in half, but farther down like 300,000 for pay per view. As sports leagues, they want more people watching their sport, not less.

For me it's rather an UK/Ireland expansion than an european expansion from Bellator.
They don't seem to be interested in making moves in other regions.
But I don't blame them, MMA (combat sports in general) isn't really popular in most european countries and in countries where it is, nobody gives a fuck about Bellator (except maybe UK).

I don't think they will succeed in europe, therefor is the UFC too main stream and other european organizations too big and established in their regions.
Or another combat sport is dominating.
This deal doesn't change anything. And to be honest I never heard of DAZN before.

Last edited:
Back