does punching and kicking the heavy bag enough if i want to strike harder?

rizky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Which one is better to gain power? Do a lot of bag work or do a lot of strength/plyometrics works

For power i hit the bag as hard as i can for one minute and then take a minute break. I usually do about 3 to 4 rounds of that.
For strength, clap pushups and medicine ball tgrows could help.

For power i hit the bag as hard as i can for one minute and then take a minute break. I usually do about 3 to 4 rounds of that.
For strength, clap pushups and medicine ball tgrows could help.
Why not hit the bag more and not doing any strength? How much strength help compare to bag work

Why not hit the bag more and not doing any strength? How much strength help compare to bag work
Hitting the bag with full power helps improve your power and keeps your hands used to hitting.
Once you have a base of strength (assuming you already do) plyometrics are great to build explosive strength.

you'll never be able to KO anyone until you can bench teh 225.
(for reps)

With anything there is diminishing returns.

Thus it depends where you are on the curve.

/Thread

Hit the heavy bag hard and fast enough without going into stamina territory and you will improve your power. Landing on a moving target with a knock out punch is another game

Using compounds weight exercises to get stronger overall makes your energy economy more efficient, so you can exhort powerful techniques more times.

What i mean is why spend time do strength conditioning if you can do more bag work and increase more power
It's not an a or b situation. If I had to guess, you don't go to a boxing gym so you're not getting any pointers on technique from anyone qualified during your heavy bag session. Which means it probably sub optimal already. Additionally, hitting hard won't mean anything if you don't have timing or accuracy, both of which you learn from a coach and in classes.

It's not like people roll around on the ground with a sandbag and assume they're a good grappler, why do we think the same thing about striking?

In answer to your question if you had to do ONE or the other, a heavy bag is probably the better use of your time if for no other reason than specificity. But it won't make you Mike tyson. You need strength (and power), coordination and training to hit like a truck. Throwing around your fists in your garage while listening to the rocky theme song is only going to do so much.

I'd start by understanding the mechanics of punching, very slowly throwing punches. Then feeling my body weight transfer on a bag. Then punching hard on the bag, feeling that body weight transfer.

And do Polymetrics and strength training throughout that time.

Back