Does Powerlifting Crossover into Everyday Strength?

of course it crossover, I have helped people move over the past year and it amazes me how much easier it is on me than that the other people. Had to pick up a few things that the other people were bitching was too heavy, while the items had some weight to them they weren't the immovable objects they made them out to be. Also I didn't need a break every hour or so like the rest of them and I had no problems the next day other than maybe some soreness in my hands, but almost to a person everyone else was bitching about being sore at least a couple places on their body the next couple days after.

I dunno. All that time you spent doing Zercher is time you could have spent doing your girlfriend.

On-topic: I'm pretty serious about my weight training (traditional stuff, focus on dead/squat/bench/ohp), but I can't say it helps me much in day-to-day physical activity.
I've done quite a lot of jobs where there is substantial, unergonomic physical work involved (industrial package delivery, moving around old and sick people etc) and most of what I've done at work are things I get good at from the work. It helps not being a 110-pound weakling obviously, but most everyday physical activity is more about finding good positions than actual physical strength.

I had a job moving boxes and there were some experienced dudes who weren't very built but they would move around boxes like nothing. I would also argue learning compound lifts also teaches you how to find those positions. Whenever I lift something now I set it up like a deadlift. Most people have trouble lifting something or get hurt because they don't know how to use their leverages. I know a guy who is scared to deadlift because his friend got hurt lifting a box wrong. If he knew how to deadlift, he probably wouldn't have gotten hurt.

I had a job moving boxes and there were some experienced dudes who weren't very built but they would move around boxes like nothing. I would also argue learning compound lifts also teaches you how to find those positions. Whenever I lift something now I set it up like a deadlift. Most people have trouble lifting something or get hurt because they don't know how to use their leverages. I know a guy who is scared to deadlift because his friend got hurt lifting a box wrong. If he knew how to deadlift, he probably wouldn't have gotten hurt.
People like to talk shit about sumo deadlifts but I've found that its the most functional of all the lifts. Whenever youre lifting a large, heavy object off the ground (such as a sofa or a vault) you will naturally use a sumo pull motion. An atlas stone lift or zercher deadlfit has even more direct carryover but that's splitting hairs.

People like to talk shit about sumo deadlifts but I've found that its the most functional of all the lifts. Whenever youre lifting a large, heavy object off the ground (such as a sofa or a vault) you will naturally use a sumo pull motion. An atlas stone lift or zercher deadlfit has even more direct carryover but that's splitting hairs.
Huh, I never thought it that way but I think you're right.

heavy turkish get ups were the number one exercise. i felt the most carryover for my manual jobs from tgu's.

Well the answer to that question is... what do you mean by everyday strength?

Picking stuff up? (one handed or two handed deadlifts)

Carrying stuff around? (farmer's walks)

Putting stuff away? (OHP or atlas stones)

Back