Does Powerlifting Crossover into Everyday Strength?

Michael13

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I always assumed that the stronger you got as a powerlifter, the stronger you got at day to day activities (carrying shopping, lifting bags of compost, walking with a heavy wheelbarrow etc).

But after searching for the answer I found that people had different ideas. Some powerlifters say that it's a purely specific type of training that only gets you strong at 3 basic movements and there is no crossover.

Admittedly, i'm not a powerlifter...but I find it hard to believe that there is no crossover whatsoever. Surely if your deadlift increases by huge amounts then lifting things off the ground in day to day life becomes easier, right?

Strongman crosses over more... hence the name

No there is a big cross over! Yes I agree strongman in general has more crossover than powerlifting, but that is because it has more movements than powerlifting which is only 3. Even in strongman they have moments such as deadlifts and squats, and overhead press instead of bench press. Strongman just has more excessive which allow more muscle to work and get strengthened vs just the 3 excersices thar powerlifting can achieve. However in terms of pure brute strength and maximal effort/strength powerlifting is among the best. In strongman it is just not pure maximal strength but also includes lots of muscular endurance as well, and several other attributes a strongman must have in order to be successful. When ever I get my big 3 up I feel much stronger in everyday life and in my sport. Just my opinion.

Of course it carries over. Those guys with 2000lb powerlifting totals carry 30kg suitcases or pick up their girlfriends a lot, lot easier than I do. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.

Maybe you were reading about carry over to other activities like striking or grappling. In those cases it's true that the carryover has limits.

If you're going to start power lifting, don't use the stupid gear! Do the raw competitions etc!

Strongman crosses over more... hence the name

During my masters program, we had a strong man competitor who would work out with a NFL strength coach. The stuff they do is "rough"

Surely if your deadlift increases by huge amounts then lifting things off the ground in day to day life becomes easier, right?
No unless you are dead lifting a barbell shaped object off the ground then you will remain weak af

Yes it most definitely does. I worked for four years as a mason apprentice and had to move 94 pound bags of Portland around all day. I never lifted back then. Friday I picked up some bags of Portland for the first time in two years for a walkway I'm doing and they felt significantly lighter. Like actually blew my mind lighter and I started strength training once I stoped doing masonry. So long story short I have felt the affects of lifting directly many times

~DaViD~

All strength crosses over. I dont give a fuck if you do gymnastics, powerlifting, bodybuilding, whatever, you will see carryover into everyday tasks in some shape.

specific type of training that only gets you strong at 3 basic movements and there is no crossover.

well if those 3 basic movements are lifting stuff, pushing stuff, and pulling stuff, what more do you want?

All strength crosses over. I dont give a fuck if you do gymnastics, powerlifting, bodybuilding, whatever, you will see carryover into everyday tasks in some shape.

Pretty much this.... but yet people will go on for ages how you will need to do sport specific bullshit.... if we use fighters for an example the strongest guys in each divisions weight train, especially in the heavier weight classes. There is no way around it, or different resistance/strength training methods. You need strength to be a complete athlete.

Yes, it transfers over to everyday strength like picking up shit. However, it won't make you faster all by itself. You have to incorporate speed training and sprints for that. Also just because you power lift doesn't mean you can all of a sudden perform an iron cross. It is great if you want to increase functional strength though.

I used to do zercher squats thinking that it would make it easier for me to pick up my girl and bang her while holding her. I am certain it helped.

Of course it crosses over. The only people who say it doesn't cross over are usually people who try and sell you shit. Like when you hear people say functional training.

Makes grappling shitty at my age
Body weight heavyweight class
Everyone else is fat
Just a series of cans

Of course it carries over. Those guys with 2000lb powerlifting totals carry 30kg suitcases or pick up their girlfriends a lot, lot easier than I do. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.

Maybe you were reading about carry over to other activities like striking or grappling. In those cases it's true that the carryover has limits.

This. TS, go back to the person who told you powerlifting isn’t functional and ask them “do you even lift bro?”

Well by real world strength you probably mean carrying shit around, in which case loaded carries will have the most “carryover” (into carrying things outside the gym.

I used to do zercher squats thinking that it would make it easier for me to pick up my girl and bang her while holding her. I am certain it helped.

I dunno. All that time you spent doing Zercher is time you could have spent doing your girlfriend.

On-topic: I'm pretty serious about my weight training (traditional stuff, focus on dead/squat/bench/ohp), but I can't say it helps me much in day-to-day physical activity.
I've done quite a lot of jobs where there is substantial, unergonomic physical work involved (industrial package delivery, moving around old and sick people etc) and most of what I've done at work are things I get good at from the work. It helps not being a 110-pound weakling obviously, but most everyday physical activity is more about finding good positions than actual physical strength.

Last edited:
All i know is i wish i had farmer strength. Like that old Matt Hughes or Randy Couture type strength. My core is so weak.

Back