Does Matt Serra have the best win in mma history?

Hamm and Clov

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I mean, a W against prime GSP... does anyone have anything like that on their resume? Also, I am referring to how things stand, currently, on this day. Maybe Werdum over Fedor, or Weidman over Silva, seemed bigger at the time, but considering where these fighters are right now, and how things have turned out over the last few years, Serra's win over GSP is the most impressive win on anyone's record, ever.

BR0bb2l.gif

Perhaps. Serra built everything he has now off of that win.

I think soko knocking out lil Nog is right up there with it. He was 12-2 and looked like an animal in pride with his only loss under pride being a close dec to Shogun. Soko was 2-1 coming off a ko to glover.

I mean, a W against prime GSP... does anyone have anything like that on their resume? Also, I am referring to how things stand, currently, on this day. Maybe Werdum over Fedor, or Weidman over Silva, seemed bigger at the time, but considering where these fighters are right now, and how things have turned out over the last few years, Serra's win over GSP is the most impressive win on anyone's record, ever.

That's called "biggest underdog".
Biggest upset.

And yes he was.

That's called "biggest underdog".
Biggest upset.

And yes he was.

That's not exactly what I mean. I guess what it boils down to is Serra being the only person to beat the GOAT in his prime. Now, if you don't adhere to this idea that GSP is the GOAT, this will all mean a lot less to you. This is not about the size of the upset though. For instance, if instead of Serra, Fitch or Alves had been that one L, I'd be making a thread about one of them.

Biggest and best upset hands down. But then he got treated like a punk in the rematch and he basically made GSP into the most dominate WW ever

I think soko knocking out lil Nog is right up there with it. He was 12-2 and looked like an animal in pride with his only loss under pride being a close dec to Shogun. Soko was 2-1 coming off a ko to glover.
sokodju fought shogun?

was posted already, Gonzaga KO'ing Crocop with a kick, come on.

was posted already, Gonzaga KO'ing Crocop with a kick, come on.

Again, I am not talking about the most surprising win by the biggest underdog. What I mean is, has anyone ever beat a fighter that was better than 2007 GSP?

In context and at the time, Bj penns first victory over Hughes is the best win in mma history except for the big guys

Aldo was the P4P no. 1 who hadn't lost in 10 years and was in his prime.

I gave this a like, but would say not the same.

While CC was coming off the tournament win and looked "not bad" in his UFC debut.

This was CC's second fight in the Octagon, a totally different realm from the PRIDE ring, and physically had given a lot in PRIDE and K1 before that.

Fedor over Nog both times IMHO, those matches basically desided who was the HW GOAT up until now and Fedor won both in prolonged dominant fashion leaving no doubt.

Aldo was the P4P no. 1 who hadn't lost in 10 years and was in his prime.
I wouldn't call Aldo 'prime' after the second Mendes fight, his (and Chad's actually) durability took a huge hit in that war, he had never even been dropped going into that fight and he's been ko'd twice since.

Conor over Aldo
Came to say this. Unlike Serra, his wun was never avenged. And that win got him a TS at a weight above, and eventually a Mayweather Superfight.

Had Conor lost tgat fight, like I wringly thought he would, his, and Mmas future likely wouldve been quite different.

Serra was tge bigger upset, but GSP just smashed him next time and assumed his reign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back