Does Krav Maga work? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by OlympicDom, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

Soul Rebel 2
    They teach some good stuff but the system, by itself, lacks the depth to consistently go toe to toe with real fighters.

2. Mr Mojo Lane Purple Belt

Mr Mojo Lane
    It depends on which Krav school you go to. They are generally very jack of all trades. Drilling the piss out of very basic boxing, Arnis, JJJ, Muay Thai, gun disarms and BJJ. I noticed some of their self defense moves are from Gracie Jiu-jitsu, but they add a groin strike or an eye gouge first. Not a bad idea, but I don't think it is anything special. It is decent for some who are looking for basic self defense. Some KM instructors will go deeper into arts like MT, FMA or BJJ which is a great idea.

3. BringBackTRTforFairness Green Belt

BringBackTRTforFairness
    Ask Bruce Lee and Bones Jones, eye Jabs and other eye attacks 100% work

Krav Maga is very simple MMA without the rules, and with survival and combat in mind, meaning its not very good, because hand to hand combat is one of the least useful things in modern warfare and so its about a basic course not mastery , That said it has some very practical simple robust techniques and esp good weapon defence techniques .

A typical MMA athlete would obliterate the a typical Krav Maga guy like your friend, it would be like a dirty MMA fighter that cant take a punch and isn't very skilled vs a well conditioned highly skilled fighter that's durable and doesn't fold after 1 punch to the guts

4. bigbangspiritbomb Double Yellow Card

bigbangspiritbomb
    I don't know. I think without the element of sparring, its pretty reasonable to say its likely not the most ideal for point fighting but, any art if applied accurately can be. IMHO there likely is a reason why we don't see a lot of other arts in UFC.

5. TITS The Beast Is Back

TITS
    It works for this guy:

[​IMG]

Sano likes this.
  6. n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

n.diazismylife1999
    Holy shit, is this what the standup tech forum is these days? The recommended cringes per post ratio was exceeded by so much by page 2 I had to stop reading.

Pferd likes this.
  7. cshireman4 Blue Belt

cshireman4
    I have sparred with a guy with a Krav Maga background numerous times under kickboxing rules and it was a very different feel, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it wasn't effective. High guard with palms forward as a one-size-fits-all defense to just catch/parry strikes. Then a blitz style attack used to overwhelm you. I'm sure without gloves/rules it would have been much different. But it was an interesting puzzle to try and solve nonetheless.

8. Pferd Orange Belt

Pferd
    wow I thought this was the standing arts training forum.I just find it funny how liberals/atheists bend over backwards to defend Muslims. Even though countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia persecute women , homosexuals, atheists and religious minorities liberals and atheists still defend Islam.even after the numerous recent attacks in France liberals/atheists still defend Islam.at least Sam Harris and bill Maher are consistent in their views.just as the left defended communist governments as they killed 100 million people .

9. Pferd Orange Belt

Pferd
    wow I thought this was the stand up technique forum.I just find it funny how liberals/atheists bend over backwards to defend Muslims. Even though countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia persecute women , homosexuals, atheists and religious minorities liberals and atheists still defend Islam.even after the numerous recent attacks in France liberals/atheists still defend Islam.or the rise of isis whhich presideny obama claimed wasnt islamic.just as liberals defended communist governments as they killed 100 million people. at least Sam Harris and bill Maher are consistent in their views.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  10. Turtlejuice Free Wang

Turtlejuice
    Krav Maga is essentially designed for an untrained person to learn how to defend themselves on a fundamental level, in a relatively short period of time. In that regard it works, to an extent. Someone training in Krav maga will be fitter than the same person with no training. However, if they are up against someone who is determined to cause them bodily harm, whether trained or untrained, they're likely going to get hurt if they try to defend themselves the way they are trained in the gym.

The big issue with Krav Maga, is there is no real sparring. They drill, they hit pads a lot, they get fit, but they are not gaining experience in how to deal with getting hit. I trained in Krav Maga for about a year, previously I had trained in MT for about 2 years, I was drilling something with a partner who had been training for a couple of years, accidentally elbowed him in the mouth, split his lip a little. He sat out for 10 minutes. There were some guys in the class that were legitimately tough, that could take a punch and keep coming, but all of them had previous martial arts experience.

There are definitely times where it could help someone defend themselves, however I think there are also situations where someone could get themselves hurt because of the false sense of confidence it may give them.