Does Khabib's openly expressing his Muslim faith bother you/diminish his marketability?

Most wont admit it, but yes thats a reason why haters dont like him

This. The good o boys on this site are haters if you show any love to other religions , races, political views etc.

what exactly makes you a muslim if you arent following any rules beside not eating pork and drinking alkohol??

i never understood this stupid mentality, religion is not something thats in your blood. its a ideology and a system with strict and defined guidelines to live. i bet my ass that 99% of so called muslims havent even read the quran let alone living after its rules.. idiocracy.

Well I was extremely devout until my late teens or so. I had the Quran more or less memorized, attended weekend religious meetings, prayed 5 times a day even if i had to do it on the streets, and donated 20% of my meager earnings working part time to charity, etc.

Right now I fast Ramadan to appease my parents, and dont eat pork or alcohol due to just hard wired habit and revulsion to pork in general.

People change man. I used to be strict, now I'm not. Thats all there is to it really.

Belief systems matter.

If he came out and said "I believe men should be able to rape babies" would you still think he's ok?

Of course not. But believe it or not most average Muslims do not believe it's ok to rape babies.

As with anything it depends how you interpret the faith you've embraced. Just like up until around 15 years ago Catholic extremism was the main threat in the UK. Does that mean the world should assume that all Catholics follow an evil doctrine or approve of murder in the name of their faith? No. Such hatred is bred under extreme socio-economic circumstances - it has nothing to do with the chosen religion.

This haven’t changed for Christians either. Southern Christians in America are just as radicalized in their views as Islamic extremists
Overall numbers are very different

That’s if I were to grant you that southerners views are just as backwards as many typical Muslims, which I don’t believe

Look at polling of everyday Muslims in Europe

The populations are radically different in size

Not trying to hate on anybody’s beliefs by the way

I'm just waiting for someone to go all in on trashtalking him about how he hates gays yet just wants to take men to the ground and pound their ass like a repressed gay man.

Now I should preface by saying I am a Muslim myself, but very liberal and don't follow much of its rules besides no pork or drinking, but I'm hardly devout or even in the middle.

That being said, I am also not blind to the current political/social climate and I do wonder if someone like Khabib hurts his marketability and potential star power by being so openly devout. The guys interviews are full of Islamic phrases and he famously takes Ramadan off. (which I understand, ramadan is hard on the body). In your opinion, does him being a Muslim make him less likeable in your view? If you don't like Khabib, is him being a devout Muslim the reason why or one of the reasons why?

Not looking to flame, start a race war, or anything like that, just genuinely curious how people view an openly Muslim UFC champ.

Thanks

Doesn't bother me at all.

I think it's great that there is someone like Khabib who is brave enough to stand up to help strengthen the faith of good Muslims and give them support in the midst of the fear and negativities in current politics.

It's as bad as what goes on in the radical Muslim world, but there are still PLENTY of fucking retards doing stupid, awful shit in the name of Christianity all over the world too. And yes, large portions of the Murrican south are a cesspool.

I'm going to assume you concede my point since you didn't refute anything I said.

EVERYTHING is a matter of degrees. Buddhists have killed just like Christians and Muslims. Unlike Christianity and Buddhism however, Islam is by far the worst perpetrator of not only religious violence but also terrorism in general.

Bombing an abortion clinic that kills zero every 10 years is not the same thing as daily bombings that kill dozens

Of course not. But believe it or not most average Muslims do not believe it's ok to rape babies.

You do realize he threw out a hyperbole no one fucking believes its okay to rape babies. Jesus I cant believe I have to clarify this.

Not at all. I do not hold what others believe in against them. Not every Muslim wants to strap a bomb to their chest and blow themselves up in a crowded area.

Khabib is very popular due to his faith, UFC should use that and market him more in Muslim countries. They could have events in Turkey, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. 90% of his fans in youtube comments are of middle eastern origin.

As with anything it depends how you interpret the faith you've embraced. Just like up until around 15 years ago Catholic extremism was the main threat in the UK. Does that mean the world should assume that all Catholics follow an evil doctrine or approve of murder in the name of their faith? No. Such hatred is bred under extreme socio-economic circumstances - it has nothing to do with the chosen religion.

Yeah people harp on and on and on about how Muhammad had a 9 year old bride when in fact back then in the dark, barbaric ages you were luckly to live past childhood, let alone 30, and every where in the world you were an "adult" WAY sooner than 18 years old.

Right now most Muslims are aware things have changed and sleeping with a 9 year old is bad.

It doesn't bother any more than the Bible thumpers that praise God every 3rd word. Possibly even less because I don't think he does it that much. All that is to say, no, not really.

I would suspect that it might reduce marketability, especially given UFC's primary demographic. I could be wrong though.

There's a pretty large base of the Muslim faith. It's the UFC that doesn't know how to market a person unless he/she is a loud, blond, and blue-eyed.

I'm going to assume you concede my point since you didn't refute anything I said.

EVERYTHING is a matter of degrees. Buddhists have killed just like Christians and Muslims. Unlike Christianity and Buddhism however, Islam is by far the worst perpetrator of not only religious violence but also terrorism in general.

Bombing an abortion clinic that kills zero every 10 years is not the same thing as daily bombings that kill dozens

Well since you are so good with relative statistics, how many Muslims are in this world and percentage wise, how many of them have killed/will kill anyone in the name of their religion?

In other words: if even .000000000000001% of Muslims were terrorists and will act out on that belief, we would all be dead by now. There's like 1.2 BILLION Muslims.

Thats a big number

For hundreds of years people used Christianity as an excuse for things like Jim Crow, Apartheid, persecution of the jews, the slaughter of Native Americans and many other abominations.

He doesn't get as much backlash on it as you might expect.

But i also feel like most people don't hate on guys like khabib who seem genuine about their faith and are respectful. Only a small minority who like to hate and flame openly.

I think another reason why Khabib doesn't get as much hate is because he has more of a caucasus / eastern european look than a middle eastern one that people in the west have been programmed to dislike based on what is repeatedly shown in the news:

Johny-Hendricks-UFC-200x300.png

I doesn't bother me anymore the spackers who thank God and Jesus after every fight...

Who cares which version of the fairytale he believes.
you are such an enlightened donkey

Back