Does Khabib's openly expressing his Muslim faith bother you/diminish his marketability?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Now I should preface by saying I am a Muslim myself, but very liberal and don't follow much of its rules besides no pork or drinking, but I'm hardly devout or even in the middle.

That being said, I am also not blind to the current political/social climate and I do wonder if someone like Khabib hurts his marketability and potential star power by being so openly devout. The guys interviews are full of Islamic phrases and he famously takes Ramadan off. (which I understand, ramadan is hard on the body). In your opinion, does him being a Muslim make him less likeable in your view? If you don't like Khabib, is him being a devout Muslim the reason why or one of the reasons why?

Not looking to flame, start a race war, or anything like that, just genuinely curious how people view an openly Muslim UFC champ.

Thanks

Most wont admit it, but yes thats a reason why haters dont like him

Muhammad Ali was a dedicated muslim too, didn't prevent him from being one of the most popular fighter ever.

Doesn’t bother me

but I am sometimes concerned with how Islam never went through a proper reformation like Christianity and does include some blatantly shitty ideas/values for modern society

His 1200 letter name diminished his brand.

You can’t market that terrible name

Don't know how people cant like such an explosive person

tenor.gif

It gives an aura(not an invincible aura) about him, a vibe that pairs well with who he is as a fighter and his region.

It's definitey sellable.

I have rarely paid attention to what a fighter does outside the cage - minus criminal offences - and never paid attention to their religious disposition, so no, Khabib being a muslim does not bother me at all.

I'm just here to watch fights.

He doesn't get as much backlash on it as you might expect.

But i also feel like most people don't hate on guys like khabib who seem genuine about their faith and are respectful. Only a small minority who like to hate and flame openly.

Couldn't care less if he's Muslim or not

That being said I think thanking god after a fight is strange no matter what religion

Now I should preface by saying I am a Muslim myself, but very liberal and don't follow much of its rules besides no pork or drinking, but I'm hardly devout or even in the middle.

That being said, I am also not blind to the current political/social climate and I do wonder if someone like Khabib hurts his marketability and potential star power by being so openly devout. The guys interviews are full of Islamic phrases and he famously takes Ramadan off. (which I understand, ramadan is hard on the body). In your opinion, does him being a Muslim make him less likeable in your view? If you don't like Khabib, is him being a devout Muslim the reason why or one of the reasons why?

Not looking to flame, start a race war, or anything like that, just genuinely curious how people view an openly Muslim UFC champ.

Thanks
Anyone openly expressing their faith, no matter what sect, irritates me. I do not care about the conversations you and your sky friend have.

Muhammad Ali was a dedicated muslim too, didn't prevent him from being one of the most popular fighter ever.

This is a very weird example to use. Muhammad Ali being an open muslim created HUGE hurdles for him in white America. You could even argue that it wasn't until he was less public about it that he became so popular.

I couldn't care less what religion any fighter is. I don't think it really effects his marketability all that much either. Khabib is never going to be like Conor selling millions of ppvs. But with a good run of dominant performances or good fights he could get to that GSP or Anderson Silva level doing 500k+ ppv buys.

It makes me think less of his intelligence, but no, it doesn't effect how I view him as a fighter.

Back