Does Judo/Greco-Roman wrestling improve your upper body grappling strenght/skills?

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I took a Judo class and damn it was hard to not be able to grab the legs. I will never consider Judo or greco-roman wrestling as complete grappling as the freestyle wrestling but I can start feeling that Judo is optimal for someone (even a freestyler) to drastically improve the upper body strength and TD/throws skills set in a much faster way than any other grappling discipline.

Thoughts? Should I continue Judo? I want to try greco-roman as well but there are no gyms around.

I thought in judo you not allowed to grab legs. Well at least for a while it was illegal. Sambo, Kurash, shuai Jiao are jacket styles with which you can grab legs.

I think in judo you cannot cross grip, which would in turn mean you cannot grab a person from behind or even from the side. In Greco you can though.

i thought i heard they added the no leg-grabbing rule to Judo just for the Olympics decades ago? since judo came from jiu-jitsu, it should have at least started out as open grappling. i guess if that's the only thing in your area, go for it. but if there's a freestyle gym/class around, ask if you can focus on upper-body techniques sometimes

Continue with Judo. If you've wrestled before you'll learn how to adapt it. Plus, Judo will teach you to off balance with clothes on through gi grips. I would look at it as adding onto what you already have in your arsenal.

Yes, Judo will improve your upper body strength, clinch work, balance, and grip strength among other things.

Do you want to throw people in the gi?
For no-gi grappling judo is a waste of time.

I started with gi BJJ and switched to nogi BJJ without much problems. I don't see it as a limitation.

I started with gi BJJ and switched to nogi BJJ without much problems. I don't see it as a limitation.

The switch between judo and wrestling is completely different than going from BJJ to no-gi BJJ. It's more like going from BJJ to wrestling.

The switch between judo and wrestling is completely different than going from BJJ to no-gi BJJ. It's more like going from BJJ to wrestling.

Not really a real greco-roman school around. There are freestyle wrestlers that claim to be good at greco-roman but nah is not the same, i need the real thing. I get what you are saying but I was able to execute some nice judo trips to my friend who is a very good and strong freestyle wrestler (won twice the California state games).

Depends on the school.

Is it a free style school?

Who's the chief instructor?

What's the student body like?

How many national champs have they produced?

Are there good upper belts around your age and size or bigger?

Post up the school and we'll check it out!

Not really a real greco-roman school around. There are freestyle wrestlers that claim to be good at greco-roman but nah is not the same, i need the real thing. I get what you are saying but I was able to execute some nice judo trips to my friend who is a very good and strong freestyle wrestler (won twice the California state games).

What rule set are you training for? no-gi BJJ or wrestling?

I took a Judo class and damn it was hard to not be able to grab the legs. I will never consider Judo or greco-roman wrestling as complete grappling as the freestyle wrestling but I can start feeling that Judo is optimal for someone (even a freestyler) to drastically improve the upper body strength and TD/throws skills set in a much faster way than any other grappling discipline.

Thoughts? Should I continue Judo? I want to try greco-roman as well but there are no gyms around.

So, I'm not familiar with your training history. Based on this post, it reads like you took you first Judo class, and then have a bunch of thoughts about "completeness" and whether it's the fastest way to learn takedowns. From context clues I see you also train BJJ, so if I put two and two together, you're likely a BJJ practitioner who is looking to import takedowns into their BJJ game. These are my assumptions, so if these assumptions are wrong, then most of what I say is going to be irrelevant.

The "completeness" of a grappling style is a phrase that I find puzzling. Do you mean "has the most options", or "most applicable to real fighting/MMA"? BJJ's propaganda (for lack of a better phrase) is that it is the most "complete" grappling art, because it has fewer rules and more options. However the notion doesn't really make any sense, because some options are rewarded and some aren't. Currently the rules prioritize some strategies and tactics over others, and a resulting metagame is created (see: current state of gi BJJ, which is primarily a guard and guard passing metagame). Having certain options available (i.e., takedowns) but not incentivizing them (all takedowns are 2 points, but you can pull guard and receive no penalty, so there's no requirement to play this game) isn't the same as being "complete". As for MMA, there's evidence of success for both Judo and Wrestling, so that is not applicable either.

If complete means "flexible in the rule sets of other martial arts," I think it's still a flawed premise. It's like asking "How long is a piece of string?" Well, as long as it needs to be. A martial art will only be as complete as its rule set. It's funneling an overall idea of combat through certain filters (i.e., no striking, no leg attacks, no leg locks, etc.). Judo is perfectly complete for Judo competitions. Sambo is perfectly complete for Sambo competitions. However, you get specialization into the rule sets that is going to not be applicable outside of that rule set. Any person who has competed in a Jacketed Throwing Art will have a base level of proficiency in other arts, and may even be able to defeat novice to intermediate practitioners. However, high levels involve specialization, and that's where the nuances in rules and attire become important. For example, knowing the principles of throwing is a cross-art skill; however, setting up those principles with the competition attire is a specialization. I've seen videos of Judo guys getting beaten by Shuai Jiao guys because of the little vest Shuai Jiao guys wear. However Shuai Jiao guys will lose out in Judo tournaments because they get sleeve gripped into oblivion. Even though Shuai Jiao jackets are the same shape as a Mongolian Wrestling Jacket, they get tooled in Mongolian Wrestling because of the stiffness of the material. Sambo gripping is totally different from Judo because of the rule sets; Sambists would be likely be DQ'ed in Judo if they didn't adapt to the rules. However, any of these jacketed throwing arts can teach you how to manipulate balance via hand grips on clothing, leading into a throw or takedown. This skill applies regardless of discipline.

Not having grips, though, changes the game. It requires body positioning mechanics that either aren't practical in a jacketed throwing art (no judoka is going to let you get double unders in the gi, you'll be gripped), or just simply aren't practiced due to rule variances. Judoka who train specific to sport rules won't be as adept at countering singles as other wrestlers are, for instance (in fact some query whether they ever were, hence why leg grabs were banned; I digress). However these motions are integral to the application of moving the human body, or taking someone else down, in the absence of clothing grips. There are some areas of similarity, sure. But they are different games fundamentally. Trying to say Judo is better at teaching you takedowns than wrestling is silly. Judo is better at teaching you takedowns...when you're wearing a jacket.

It's also disingenuous to train an art for the purposes of importing it back to another art. MMA training was thought to gravitate towards an "X art for MMA" training regimen, where we figure out what parts of each art can be cherrypicked into a "best practices" skeleton. However, this top-down approach has never caught on. MMA continues to be a bottom-up, "train wrestling for wrestling's sake", "striking for striking's sake," camp methodology, and then the fighter experiments with their toolbox in MMA sparring/training. To extrapolate the lesson, learning an art in the context of its own ruleset is going to give you a better grasp of the art than trying to learn it in the context of another ruleset. So if you're going to learn Judo, just learn Judo. Don't learn Judo...for BJJ.

Likewise, you're confounding "getting better at Judo" with "building upper body strength." If you want to build upper body strength, pursue a strength and conditioning routine. Barring genetic freaks like Marcelo Garcia, normal humans don't try to train strength/conditioning while trying to improve their technical skill level.

Finally, as for Judo being the "fastest way to learn takedowns," I'm unaware of any specific timelines that support this claim. A person who has been training Judo for a year will be able to compete, and likely takedown an untrained person fairly easily. The same can be said for the various wrestling disciplines. Judo, when it was first created, was a standout martial art because it was created by someone who took the art of learning very seriously. It was revolutionary at the time. However, it's patently false to think that this approach only exists in Judo. That same academic approach to training exists in wrestling as well. The allure of the olympics is too great to ignore the act and art of coaching/teaching. Unless you've experienced it first hand, it's easy to think wrestling is a conditioning contest (show me a competitive fight sport where conditioning doesn't play a role; even full contact taichi push hands involves conditioning), but there is a very large amount of structured technical training that goes into place.

To summarize this whole mess, you should try to train as many arts as you can, and compete in as many rule sets as you can. If you're achieving good results in multiple rulesets, you can call yourself a good grappler. If you don't have the time/energy to do that, then just train whatever is fun or enjoyable to you, because it means you'll keep doing it. No matter how much you try to force it with a "I know this is the best art" mindset (which as discussed isn't true anyway), unless you like what you're doing on a fundamental level you just aren't going to stick with it.

Last edited:
Likewise, you're confounding "getting better at Judo" with "building upper body strength." If you want to build upper body strength, pursue a strength and conditioning routine. Barring genetic freaks like Marcelo Garcia, normal humans don't try to train strength/conditioning while trying to improve their technical skill level.

Loads of athletes do part of the their strength/conditioning by training their own sport. Wrestlers do hard rounds of sparring rather then only flow wrestler and lift weight and run laps.

What rule set are you training for? no-gi BJJ or wrestling?

I kind of doing it all at this time, not really have any high motivation in competition; I just love grappling overall. When I tookdown my friend with Judo trips we were doing grecoroman wrestling rules, no gi of course.

Depends on the school.

Is it a free style school?

Who's the chief instructor?

What's the student body like?

How many national champs have they produced?

Are there good upper belts around your age and size or bigger?

Post up the school and we'll check it out!

The instructor's daughter was an Olympian.
https://judoamerica.com/

I kind of doing it all at this time, not really have any high motivation in competition; I just love grappling overall. When I tookdown my friend with Judo trips we were doing grecoroman wrestling rules, no gi of course.

You can't trip in greco-roman wrestling. For fun do what's most fun.

You can't trip in greco-roman wrestling. For fun do what's most fun.

Sorry I meant to say "freestyle" wrestling rules. Well I want to keep myself "competitive" as an overall grapppler but in the dojo; i hae no longer interested in competition, I did a lot of competition in freestyle.
I practice BJJ as well in the University of Jiu-Jitsu (San Diego).

Loads of athletes do part of the their strength/conditioning by training their own sport.

Emphasis mine. Technical development, and skill development, don't necessitate

Wrestlers do hard rounds of sparring rather then only flow wrestler and lift weight and run laps.

I don't recall saying there weren't hard rounds of sparring. The point is that hard practices aren't meant to replace strength and conditioning programs. Whether the actual practice of an art "builds up" certain strengths is therefore irrelevant in a comparison, because strength/conditioning bases (for clubs that are looking for results) are trained separately. You're flat out wrong if you think that wrestling programs don't have strength/conditioning routines (for both on and off season). Travis Stevens, Olympic silver medalist, lifted and ran separately from his Judo training.

I don't know why BJJ practitioners are so repulsed by the concept of having a strength/conditioning routine to develop strength/conditioning, and that their strength/conditioning base doesn't magically build itself up during practice. What other sport has this mindset other than BJJ? Genuinely mystifying.

I don't know why BJJ practitioners are so repulsed by the concept of having a strength/conditioning routine to develop strength/conditioning, and that their strength/conditioning base doesn't magically build itself up during practice. What other sport has this mindset other than BJJ? Genuinely mystifying.

Obviously wrestlers and judokas do strength and conditioning and take steroids but it's secondary to the work on the mat.
Tons of people in BJJ and especially the MMA fighters I met do S&C but they don't train hard enough on the mat.

As a judoka, I also find not grabbing legs to be hard. It's only been banned in competition Judo since 2010. It's up to the club, but some still teach the techniques.

I'll always teach things like kata guruma, morote gari, and sukui nage - they're some of the core throws of Judo! Seriously, when someone takes an over-the-back grip, what do you do? Sukui Nage!

Back