Does it bug you history won't remember you?

If you continue your family tree you will always be remembered in some way

Just gotta make sure you have a son and he has a son and he has a son and so on

Yeah but even that ends up being remote. How much do you know about your great great grandfather, for instance?

Think about it. We are just a blip. Time will eventually run out for us. Unless we are Einstein, or Babe Ruth or a very bad person like Hitler. We won't be remembered in a 100 years or less.

Is it our ego that makes us annoyed about this? (For ppl who do) And do you care? Its strange to me that one time I won't be here and it'll be all over.

Anyways.

If anything it should be reassuring. We get really caught up in bullshit and there's so many times where something as lame and fleeting as someone saying something negative about you seems disastrous. No one's going to even be aware of your failures or shortcomings down the line so might as well stop trying to posture and actually get out there, try things, be vulnerable and experience a variety of things.

Think of famous people from the 1800s. How many names come to mind? Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth, Ulysses S Grant, Robert E Lee, George Custer, Theodore Roosevelt, William Sherman, George Pickett, Stonewall Jackson, Lewis and Clark. Others will be found in history books but likely not as well known.

Many from WWI were quickly forgotten when WWII eclipsed them. My father was in WWII but all the records of his service were lost in the fire at the National Personnel Records Center in 1973. The government only kept one set of records and all in the same building.

I've never worried about being remembered. I don't worry about things while I'm living. I'm certainly not going to worry about what happens after I die.

Nope. I'm just passing through.

I'm at peace with my lot in life. Forgotten like the many billions before and after me. I think that is fine enough company.

I'm more annoyed with the fact that my phone never recognises my thumb print.

History will remember every single human that ever existed (in some sense) if we can transcend the extinction process.

Names are forgotten in about 50 years really...

On a fully serious note, "being remembered" is another coping mechanism for mortality. It's a step closer to rationality than religion but it's just really a slightly more acceptable self deception for the atheist or agnostic.

Long story short, you live on a garden of a planet. Enjoy it.

If anything it should be reassuring. We get really caught up in bullshit and there's so many times where something as lame and fleeting as someone saying something negative about you seems disastrous. No one's going to even be aware of your failures or shortcomings down the line so might as well stop trying to posture and actually get out there, try things, be vulnerable and experience a variety of things.

Well said. I think that is all anyone can strive for in life

we are all farts in the wind. the residue we leave behind is what matters.

I don't care. I guess that you'd have to be a narcissist to care about something like that.

back then history was recorded in books.

today, history is recorded on Sherdog.

giphy.gif

No.

Everyone and everything will be eaten up by the sun eventually anyway. Just do as much good as you can while you're here.

Last edited:
No, because I know I'm not important. Like all average people,I sometimes wish I was destined for something greater. But I have no delusional self importance, so I'm forced to face the truth.

<Fedor23>

Think about it. We are just a blip. Time will eventually run out for us. Unless we are Einstein, or Babe Ruth or a very bad person like Hitler. We won't be remembered in a 100 years or less.

Is it our ego that makes us annoyed about this? (For ppl who do) And do you care? Its strange to me that one time I won't be here and it'll be all over.

Anyways.
No, because I know that even those people fade from memory.

There was a time when everyone across the known world likely would have known the name, "Hyperion". How proud Ozymandias must have been.

I once started a thread on sherdog that made it to four pages.

I will be remembered!

What do I care? Once we're dead it won't matter.

I'm more concerned with fulfilling experiences and physical challenges before my body starts breaking down.

Nup. But im trying to do something good.

Do you want to be remembered or make things better even if no one knows your name.

Back