Does Forrest Griffin have the 2 most important consecutive wins in MMA history?

Jon Jones beat Shogun who people thought had finally combined his athleticism and tactics with wins over Chuck and Machida, then beat Rampage, then Lyoto, then Rashad

Pick any two

True, but Jones is so much better than Forrest. Like the OP said, Forrest relied on hard work and grit and beat some guys who were definitely more athletic and dangerous than he was.

Jon Jones beat Shogun who people thought had finally combined his athleticism and tactics with wins over Chuck and Machida, then beat Rampage, then Lyoto, then Rashad

Pick any two

You can't be serious, Rampage with a 2 fight win streak? or Lyoto with a 1 fight win streak??

Weidman beating Anderson Silva back-to-back is clearly the right answer.

Weidman beating Anderson Silva back-to-back is clearly the right answer.
You probably right... problem is the 2nd fight bizarre ending, so... actually the first one was also a lil bit bizarre... strange fights.

Can't agree, GSP over a much, much smaller BJ isn't really impressive, plus he was greased.
revisionist history at its worst.

While GSP was clearly the bigger fighter the size difference was not so much that many people did not think BJ could win.

8075-StPierrePennUFC94Pre_2217-7559.jpg

And any grease benefited BJ and not GSP in that fight.

I'm biased but I was at the event and I've watched this fight more than any fight in my life- literally 50 times. I can't see an argument for Forrest. He won round 2 (not 10-8) and Rampage won the rest. Round 3 & 5 were close but Rampage was doing more damage while Forrest just looked busier. People think the leg kicks were much more effective than they were. He dropped him round 2 with a leg kick and laid on him but that was the extent of Forrest's sustained success in the fight.

Might watch it again its been a couple of years. Rampage was robbed.
This is kinda biased, in my opinion. I've seen the fight 5 or so times. Out of all the fights considered controversial, this one always stood out to me as a no-brainer. I had Forest every time I watched, clearly.

Either way, we may interpret the fight differently. To each their own.

Too funny. BJ has been fighting at 145, and you say there was no size advantage for GSP. Have you seen them stand next to each other? GSP is much bigger, plus there is no way GSP could even cut to 155.
At that point BJ was fighting as big LW or small WW interchangeably and stated in an interview he was more comfortable fighting as a small WW.

Against GSP he came in weighing 174 and GSP was 187 so a 13lb difference, which is a decent amount but not huge and something many thought BJ could over come.

GSP likely could make 155lbs if he focused on dropping a little muscle mass. We have many guys nowadays making much bigger cuts then GSP ever has.

Conor-Mcgregor-and-GSP1-e1411937238170.png

revisionist history at its worst.

While GSP was clearly the bigger fighter the size difference was not so much that many people did not think BJ could win.

8075-StPierrePennUFC94Pre_2217-7559.jpg

And any grease benefited BJ and not GSP in that fight.
Your not making any sense which is it "revisionist history" or"GSP was clearly bigger". Why would they grease GSP when it benefited BJ + if it benefited BJ then why did G Jackson & P Nurse apologize to the NSAC for GSP being greased?

Your not making any sense which is it "revisionist history" or"GSP was clearly bigger". Why would they grease GSP when it benefited BJ + if it benefited BJ then why did G Jackson & P Nurse apologize to the NSAC for GSP being greased?
the revisionist history is the idea that it was not a huge and significant fight and win for GSP due to BJ being smaller. It was a huge fight and win at the time which people try to diminish now.

You apologize for the grease because it should not have been there. That does not determine who it benefited however. It was an accidental application by Phil Nurse who was doing two roles, cut man and corner man, when he had not done that before.

In the entire history of our sport not once has the guy wanting to keep the fight standing and strike and avoid being clinched and taken down not been the one to benefit from grease. NOT ONCE.

GSP's entire game plan was to clinch and get TD's and control BJ. BJ's entire game plan was to try and avoid the clinch and TD and keep the fight standing to box.

it is undeniable fact that grease benefits BJ's game plan and hurts GSP's. BJ would want grease and GSP would not.

Hendo beating prime Vitor Belfort and then KO'ing prime Wanderlei Sliva is more significant.

the revisionist history is the idea that it was not a huge and significant fight and win for GSP due to BJ being smaller. It was a huge fight and win at the time which people try to diminish now.

You apologize for the grease because it should not have been there. That does not determine who it benefited however. It was an accidental application by Phil Nurse who was doing two roles, cut man and corner man, when he had not done that before.

In the entire history of our sport not once has the guy wanting to keep the fight standing and strike and avoid being clinched and taken down not been the one to benefit from grease. NOT ONCE.

GSP's entire game plan was to clinch and get TD's and control BJ. BJ's entire game plan was to try and avoid the clinch and TD and keep the fight standing to box.

it is undeniable fact that grease benefits BJ's game plan and hurts GSP's. BJ would want grease and GSP would not.
Your opinion doesn't change the fact it was GSP who was greased not Bj. How do you accidentally grease someone's back? The consensus has always been the grease was on GSPs back to nullify BJs high guard game. Everyone knew GSP didn't want to stand with BJ but also knew BJ wouldn't be able to stop GSPs takedown. GSP wanted the fight on the ground and his corner, correctly so, knew that a greased up GSP would hinder what Bj could do from guard. GSP having a greased up back in no way benefited Bj in keeping the fight standing, it's not like BJ is known for his Greco takedowns.

At that point BJ was fighting as big LW or small WW interchangeably and stated in an interview he was more comfortable fighting as a small WW.

Against GSP he came in weighing 174 and GSP was 187 so a 13lb difference, which is a decent amount but not huge and something many thought BJ could over come.

GSP likely could make 155lbs if he focused on dropping a little muscle mass. We have many guys nowadays making much bigger cuts then GSP ever has.

Conor-Mcgregor-and-GSP1-e1411937238170.png

You love to focus on weight, instead of body frame. You could fatten up a dwarf to 265 pounds but that does not make him the same size as Struve.

Last edited:
Those two wins were amazing. I didn't see them happen. That was definitely Forrest's high-point in MMA. Too bad for him it didn't last too long, but at least he can say he got there beating legit fighters.

Randy Couture beating Liddell and Ortiz back-to-back in 2003 has to be near the top of the list.

DON'T BRING LOGIC INTO THIS FOR ME

I was shocked when they read the decision live. But again, I'm biased as fuck. I'm not pretending to be anything other than a butt hurt Rampage fan. I'm a lot of things but self aware is definitely one of them.

Over analyzed doesn't even begin to explain it lol. me and my friend who went to the fight literally watched every exchange in slow motion on DVR the next day. We were singed with the outcome.

I honestly think had Rampage won that fight he would have stayed in champion mode and stayed prime Rampage longer so in hindsight in singes me even more.
I won't bring logic into it if you keep the "what if"'s away from me LOL.
What if the ref had noticed that Matt Hughes was out when he "slammed Carlos Newton" (i.e. fell down unconscious).
Pretty different MMA world IF that would have happened.

If you're gonna talk about Rampage getting robbed, you might want to mention the completely insane decision win he had over Machida. Rampage walked into strikes for 5 rounds but two refs called that "aggression" and gave him the decision.

I think for the time it was an incredible achievement

He also helped put the UFC on the map for a mainstream audience

It was kind of a big deal

Dan Henderson

Fedor Emilanenko
Muricio (Shogun) Rua

No offense, but Forrest doesn't have the most important consecutive anything in MMA history.

I'm biased but I was at the event and I've watched this fight more than any fight in my life- literally 50 times. I can't see an argument for Forrest. He won round 2 (not 10-8) and Rampage won the rest. Round 3 & 5 were close but Rampage was doing more damage while Forrest just looked busier. People think the leg kicks were much more effective than they were. He dropped him round 2 with a leg kick and laid on him but that was the extent of Forrest's sustained success in the fight.

Might watch it again its been a couple of years. Rampage was robbed.

I don't understand how anyone scored the 3rd round for Forrest, he literally did nothing.

Rampage 1,3,4. Rd 5 is debatable but I usually give it to Forrest.

At worst it's a draw if you call Rd 2 a 10-8, which it wasn't if you look at frankie/Maynard 2.

Back