Does Forrest Griffin have the 2 most important consecutive wins in MMA history?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Beating the young phenom Shogun, that was terrifying everybody in Pride and many thought as the best P4P along with Fedor, and then beating Rampage for the UFC title, who himself was coming from 2 meaningful wins in Liddell and Hendo, also restablishing the UFC brand and proving that was really the house of the greatest fighters in the world.

What u guys say?

They're two of the most important for the UFC in terms of legitimizing their roster and TUF as a feeder. And for legitimizing Forrest as a guy who was always considered tough and having heart but never elite in skills.

I think one can come up with a better 1-2 punch of wins all time, though.

Jon Jones beat Shogun who people thought had finally combined his athleticism and tactics with wins over Chuck and Machida, then beat Rampage, then Lyoto, then Rashad

Pick any two

GSP beating BJ Penn and then Matt Hughes directly after to win the title.

Beating the young phenom Shogun, that was terrifying everybody in Pride and many thought as the best P4P along with Fedor, and then beating Rampage for the UFC title, who himself was coming from 2 meaningful wins in Liddell and Hendo, also restablishing the UFC brand and proving that was really the house of the greatest fighters in the world.

What u guys say?

it wasn't the young phenom shogn, he had already broken his arm and knee ligaments. Broken shogun KO'ed him easily a few years later actually. the rampage win was very debatable.
they were important for him but the his career shows where h'e at. he'll be remenbered as the guy that got matrixe'd by anderson.

Bisping beating AS and Rockhold altered the path of the MW division forever.

Conor beating Nate and Alvarez launched him into orbit and made him larger than the sport.

Not sure about importance, but Mark Hunt beating Wanderlei then Cro Cop back to back was crazy. They were both close decisions though.

Rampage got fucked with that decision

Definitely didn't get fucked. It was a close fight that could have gone either way.

Jon Jones beat Shogun who people thought had finally combined his athleticism and tactics with wins over Chuck and Machida, then beat Rampage, then Lyoto, then Rashad

Pick any two
Shogun was plagued with injuries and fought Jones almost one year after fighting Machida...his prime was thr 2005 gp and his knees were shut by 2007-08. Lyoto, Rampage and Rashad were in their mid 30s. Not saying that Jones wouldnt beat them in their primes but he did fought a washed up version of these guys.

Can't agree, GSP over a much, much smaller BJ isn't really impressive, plus he was greased.

GTFO he wasn't greased at all. BJ was never dominated like that ever and made an outrageous claim. It was dropped later on. Don't spread lies.

Not sure about importance, but Mark Hunt beating Wanderlei then Cro Cop back to back was crazy. They were both close decisions though.

Definitely didn't get fucked. It was a close fight that could have gone either way.
I'm biased but I was at the event and I've watched this fight more than any fight in my life- literally 50 times. I can't see an argument for Forrest. He won round 2 (not 10-8) and Rampage won the rest. Round 3 & 5 were close but Rampage was doing more damage while Forrest just looked busier. People think the leg kicks were much more effective than they were. He dropped him round 2 with a leg kick and laid on him but that was the extent of Forrest's sustained success in the fight.

Might watch it again its been a couple of years. Rampage was robbed.

If you took away all of Rampage's bogus wins, his resume would look like BJ Penn's.
Cool. I agree he didn't deserve the Machida decision and I really don't care about his Bellator career. He still got jobbed by Forrest.

Depending on what this Conor popularity does for the UFC i'd say Conor's wins over Jose and Eddie might be the most important as his fame might have a powerful effect in the future that helps the company. Especially if they follow him into Russia for a Khabib fight.

Forrest vs Bonnar and Ken Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz as well at this point though in my eyes.

Last edited:
Cool. I agree he didn't deserve the Machida decision and I really don't care about his Bellator career. He still got jobbed by Forrest.
Man, the Page that beat Liddell the second time was in sick shape... i think that was the best Rampage ever... Scary mofo.

I'm biased but I was at the event and I've watched this fight more than any fight in my life- literally 50 times. I can't see an argument for Forrest. He won round 2 (not 10-8) and Rampage won the rest. Round 3 & 5 were close but Rampage was doing more damage while Forrest just looked busier. People think the leg kicks were much more effective than they were. He dropped him round 2 with a leg kick and laid on him but that was the extent of Forrest's sustained success in the fight.

Might watch it again its been a couple of years. Rampage was robbed.
Lol, just like me Rewatching Machida Shogun 1 :)

Back