Does Floyd have a better chance at beating Conor in MMA than Conor had at beating Floyd in boxing?

lN44Z.gif
Why does he have to? Floyd would get absolutely wrecked by Conor in MMA.

Why does he have to? Floyd would get absolutely wrecked by Conor in MMA.

No shit. That's not the discussion. It's who has a higher chance inside the other's sport. Obviously Conor is the favorite in MMA, just like Floyd was in boxing.

No shit. That's not the discussion. It's who has a higher chance inside the other's sport. Obviously Conor is the favorite in MMA, just like Floyd was in boxing.
Conor had a better chance in boxing...... Great thread.

Most non boxing fans (actually following it not just liking it) really have no clue (it seems) how rare it is for big upsets in boxing compared to mma,they just assume it's similar when it's anything but.We all pick at about 70% or worse in mma.One of the things that's made me slowly move away from boxing these last 10-15 years is the predictability.Conor would likely lose to Floyd 100 out of a 100 in a boxing match with maybe catching and finishing Floyd once or twice in a 1,000 or via injury etc.

In mma I would give Floyd much better odds at catching and finishing Conor especially with good improvements of tdd being acquired relatively quick compared to the entire lifetime it's taken Floyd to perfect the sweet science and him happening to be one of the best ever.I wrestled for over 10 years and coached,you can make huge strides in tdd pretty fast with physical gifts,good coaching/team and hard work.

I don't even know why i'm wasting the time lol,how do I end up in these silly discussions =/ It all seems pretty simple to me,but it's just my opinion.

Floyd will be the most accurate puncher McG will have faced in MMA, if he touches him on the jaw he will go down.

he was on his way to going to sleep with boxing gloves on, he'll be in a coma if its with 4 oz gloves.

but realistically, Floyd has a much better shot of catching and sleeping Conor in MMA than Conor did of doing so in boxing. To suggest anything otherwise is to basically admit you have 0 knowledge of anything combat sports related.

Absolutely not.

Conor has some skills in Floyd’s domain, even though they are sub-par. He also has a punchers chance.

Floyd has no skill in many aspects of MMA, and his puncher’s chance is minimized as Conor has many ways -within to the broad ruleset of MMA- to completely nullify Floyd’s ability to even be able to throw a punch, both standing, and on the ground.

I was discussing this with the MMA kid from Barstool Sports. I think Floyd has a better chance in MMA than Conor had in boxing, he said Conor had a "muuuuuuch" better shot in boxing. IMO, Conor had a 0% chance of out-boxing Floyd, so he had to rely on his power while using bigger gloves, and fighting the best defensive boxer of all time. So I gave him no shot whatsoever at being successful with that. He did land quite a bit, but didn't land anything that was even close to putting Floyd in trouble.

Floyd's boxing will actually be a useful tool in MMA. He will get eaten alive by kicks, knees, and elbows, but with 4 oz gloves, if he catches Conor then that's almost guaranteed trouble. We know Conor will probably be way too brash not to exchange with Floyd if they fight in the octagon.

Thoughts?

I think floyd has a much better chance to beat conor in an mma fight than conor has to beat floyd in a boxing fight.

Well, when we see how Floyd played with Conor... really, the guy toyed with him.

When you look at how he fought Conor compared to an actual good Boxer like Canelo, Maidana etc, an actual threat in the realm of Boxing, he was defensively sound throughout the fight, he fought like what we're used to seeing Floyd fight like.

Fighting Conor, he was there to be hit, he was hit by Conor more with decent shots than I've ever seen him get hit before. When you really think back on it, that was clearly intentional.

He wanted to give fans a treat and he did just that.

I will say though, in MMA, it definitely won't be easy for Floyd.

There are so many things about Floyd's style that would put him in real danger in an MMA match and it's ingrained in him. He's 40 years old and has been doing those same techniques since he was 5, you don't rewrite your muscle memory so quickly, especially not at his advanced age.

Floyd also wouldn't have enough time to tire McGregor out in the same way he did in the Boxing match. And it's not like the guy has a ton of Punching power anyway.

Bottom line is, yes Floyd has a better chance in MMA than Conor did in Boxing, but not much imo.

Back