Does/did your parents watch you play your videogames? Play games themselves?

My mom and my grandmother used to love playing Super Mario Bros on the NES back in the days
They'd play and laugh and have a great time even though I dont think they ever got past world 1-1 though

Fuck no. I was unfortunate and my parents didn't conceive me until they were 39 so they are true baby boomers born just as the war ended. I have a ridiculous 130in projector + PC/PS4/Wii-U/360 setup so I have wowed my Mother a few times.

My Pops couldn't give a fuck about games though. Way too oldschool and hardworking for that. He was a High School teacher who did construction in his free time. He built the house I was born and also the house I spent most of my childhood in. It's actually really depressing when I think about how much me and my Brother pale in comparison to him. I can do the simple shit like mounting drywall, patchwork, painting, and trim but only because that's what he made us do as kids. But my Pops can just straight build rooms and decks and anything not related to master plumbing or electrical crafts. And he was never blue-collar.

I've literally wasted so much time on video games. .

My grandmother liked Pacman on the Atari. She was the master of that game. None of his could beat her. She'd play it for hours sometimes too. She'd sit there with her pack of Kools and her Red Rose tea getting high scores on Pacman.

My stepmother got me into gaming.

I remember when I met her at 4, and she was quite a bit more younger than my dad, so she had a Nintendo and played games. Playing until 4 in the morning with her became a thing I loved. Every other weekend, of course.

My dad dabbled in gaming from time to time while I was growing up. In the early 90s he'd play the occasional game of Blades of Steel on NES against me or one of my brothers. He'd also play the occasional round of Duck Hunt. That would've been around 1990-1992 or so.

We got a new PC Christmas 1995 and we had Sim City 2000 on that, which my dad liked to play occasionally. He was into games where you build because he was an engineer. Over the next one or two years or so we acquired more of the Sim series of games, some hit or miss. He really liked Sim Tower, while Sim Isle was a bust. He also like Microsoft Flight Simulator, even though he kind of sucked at it.

Christmas 1998 he got me Railroad Tycoon II, but he ended up playing it way way more than me because all I wanted to do was play Halflife.

When my dad retired in 2004 I think he was still playing the odd PC game from time to time, like Sim City 4. I think that was probably the last game he bought.

My Dad's 71 now, and still working (he incorporated himself and became a consultant after his retirement in '04) but I haven't lived with my folks since 2003 so I don't keep close tabs on what he's up to day to day. I have no idea if he's still playing any games anymore. I mentioned anything about it to me in over 10 years.

Most recently in January I got my hands on an NES classic and I hacked it to add more games including Blades of Steel. When my parents last came to visit me a couple of months ago I played a game against my dad, just like we used to 25 years ago. That was cool.

my dad used to take my brother, me and my cousin to the arcades on saturdays quite regularly. i think he just liked taking us somewhere that was well contained hah i dunno if he enjoyed it though.

dad watches me play Flight games every now and then and enjoys watching shooters.

Jesus that op was depressing!

My mom never really did. But when I was younger and into my early teens, my Dad played some computer games, taught me how to play some and played some over LAN with me. We actually played WOW with each other for a little bit like 10 years ago

my dad once tried to play a NHL game on my ps2 back in the day and proceded to delete all my saved data from the memory card

Lol my little bros did that to me once on my ps1. Lost all my final fantasy VII progress. Beat them to within an inch of their life.

My dad dabbled in gaming from time to time while I was growing up. In the early 90s he'd play the occasional game of Blades of Steel on NES against me or one of my brothers. He'd also play the occasional round of Duck Hunt. That would've been around 1990-1992 or so.

We got a new PC Christmas 1995 and we had Sim City 2000 on that, which my dad liked to play occasionally. He was into games where you build because he was an engineer. Over the next one or two years or so we acquired more of the Sim series of games, some hit or miss. He really liked Sim Tower, while Sim Isle was a bust. He also like Microsoft Flight Simulator, even though he kind of sucked at it.

Christmas 1998 he got me Railroad Tycoon II, but he ended up playing it way way more than me because all I wanted to do was play Halflife.

When my dad retired in 2004 I think he was still playing the odd PC game from time to time, like Sim City 4. I think that was probably the last game he bought.

My Dad's 71 now, and still working (he incorporated himself and became a consultant after his retirement in '04) but I haven't lived with my folks since 2003 so I don't keep close tabs on what he's up to day to day. I have no idea if he's still playing any games anymore. I mentioned anything about it to me in over 10 years.

Most recently in January I got my hands on an NES classic and I hacked it to add more games including Blades of Steel. When my parents last came to visit me a couple of months ago I played a game against my dad, just like we used to 25 years ago. That was cool.

<mma1><2>

My father was a pc gamer and introduced me to classics like lemmings, simcity, wolfenstein and others. He played until his early 30's. I ended up becoming a console player myself however thanks to growing up playing on pc I got to learn a lot of stuff about how an os works, in those days there was no internet and if something didn't work you had to figure it out ourself.

I can only remember playing that game "Ice Hockey" with the folks on the NES. The one where you could choose fat and skinny players.

Oh', and my mom was a Bubble Bobble junkie. Never owned it for some reason. We'd always rent it, and rack up crazy late fees. Probably could've bought it like 20 times over with all that money.

My gramps used to love watching me an my cousin play COD: World at War. Especially when we were playing against the Japanese lol. I'd always use the BREN light machine gun, that was his service weapon in ww2. He'd give us tips while drinking a few beers. Center mass son! Watch your flank!

Rest in peace Gramps.

My gramps used to love watching me an my cousin play COD: World at War. Especially when we were playing against the Japanese lol. I'd always use the BREN light machine gun, that was his service weapon in ww2. He'd give us tips while drinking a few beers. Center mass son! Watch your flank!

Rest in peace Gramps.

That's a pretty cool anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

My dad used to play soulcalibur with me just to spend some time together. He played with mitsurugi and I played Cervantes

I used to let him win, in order to keep him interested and play a couple of rounds.

After a while, he noticed that I could easily defeat the computer and asked if I was letting him win, I said that I was exploiting the AI and having some cheap wins.

After that comment, I started to play to win with my dad. I never defeated him.

That's the only game my father and I played.

On a side note, he always remembers that he was invincible on Atari "combat"

Final Fantasy 15 was the first Final Fantasy game that my mom didn't watch me play. She was already dying from cancer and it breaks my heart. When she was going through the process, I thought to myself that if she somehow made it, FF15 would be the best FF game of all time. If she didn't, it would be the worst.

The earliest games she had watched me play were Mario

She had watched me play since FF7. She bought me all my games back then and she would get interested in the story, even though she would never play herself. Though there was a brief stint where she played the Mario Galaxy games and really enjoyed them. Too bad she won't be able to play the new Wii U Mario.

She watched me play Resident Evil, etc... games that heavily relied on cinematics/dialogue to portray a storyline.

When I'm playing games now, I like to pretend that she's behind me watching and telling me to do this or that.
Damn dude that is pretty deep. I didn't expect to come into this thread on a downer but I will add to it. I was introduced to games by my father with the Atari 2600. I learned all the basics with Pong, Pit Fall, Tanks, etc.. We got the NES somehow when it came out (my family was dirt poor at the time). Played the shit out of Super Mario and Contra with my dad, then he drifted off into alcoholism and I didn't see much of him for years and years. I was never close to him again and make it a point not to make the same mistake with my kids. I play games with them all of the time and have their PCs setup right next to mine. It is a full time LAN party at my house.

Lol my little bros did that to me once on my ps1. Lost all my final fantasy VII progress. Beat them to within an inch of their life.
I broke mine and my brothers ps1 due to final fantasy VIII never understood turn based rgps or why he'd put a 100+ hours into it. I never got a chance to play GT2 so smashed the fucker and got a Sega Dreamcast instead of a PS2 worse mistake ever.

I broke mine and my brothers ps1 due to final fantasy VIII never understood turn based rgps or why he'd put a 100+ hours into it. I never got a chance to play GT2 so smashed the fucker and got a Sega Dreamcast instead of a PS2 worse mistake ever.

Thats because FFVIII sucks.

Back