Does Demetrious Johnson Ever Stop Whining?

He's a under-sized teenager among 5th graders

He's a small guy sure, but no doubt he'd still knock you out my friend. His skills are not to be so casually dismissed. His skills within the sport are still incredibly impressive you have to give him that no matter how much you disregard him based on size.

Whilst I'm on the subject some of the best fighters in the sport of boxing came from 125-130; Mayweather, Pacquiao, De La Hoya, Barrera, Morales and many more... you would not call them under-sized teenagers.

Even current 125-135 boxers like Santa Cruz would still take your head clean off before you had a chance to even realize what was happening. I, for one, sure would not like to take even a single punch from any of these 'under-sized teenagers' as you call them.

He's a small guy sure, but no doubt he'd still knock you out my friend. His skills are not to be so casually dismissed. His skills within the sport are still incredibly impressive you have to give him that no matter how much you disregard him based on size.

Whilst I'm on the subject some of the best fighters in the sport of boxing came from 125-130; Mayweather, Pacquiao, De La Hoya, Barrera, Morales and many more... you would not call them under-sized teenagers.

Even current 125-135 boxers like Santa Cruz would still take your head clean off before you had a chance to even realize what was happening. I, for one, sure would not like to take even a single punch from any of these 'under-sized teenagers' as you call them.
He is skilled but that doesnt change the fact that he ducked TJ and cherry picks his opponents. This is why he will never be great, just good. Anderson Silva was great, he would go up in weight and KO former champs in the 1st round

He's a under-sized teenager among 5th graders

And...what do you do exactly?

I think you should go to him, beat his ass and get your OWN belt.
Cuz hey, hes a little dude and im sure you can fuck him up quick!

So when will you guys fight?

He has to promote himself, since the UFC isn't going to help him anymore.

At this stage, he's realized that being the nice humble guy isn't getting him what he wants. He's in a sense, turning heel (against the promotion at least). If that means "whining", then that's okay. If he didn't "whine", the UFC continue exploiting him with no regard for his career.

Fans are appreciating that he's taking a stance. He's one of the few top guys that have spoken out (now Gegard's defection), and it really highlights some of the issues that the UFC has. Demetrious Johnson is arguably the #1 PVP fighter, and the UFC treats him like crap.

He is skilled but that doesnt change the fact that he ducked TJ and cherry picks his opponents. This is why he will never be great, just good. Anderson Silva was great, he would go up in weight and KO former champs in the 1st round

"ducked TJ"

But he said hed fight Cody G. The CHAMP of that division. TJ is not champ so....

"cherry picks his opponents"

Who else in that division did he cherry pick? Who else is he going to fight?

Just curious....

BTW silva went up i believe ONE time.
And if im not mistaken, hes already "great" for his class.

He has to promote himself, since the UFC isn't going to help him anymore.

At this stage, he's realized that being the nice humble guy isn't getting him what he wants. He's in a sense, turning heel (against the promotion at least). If that means "whining", then that's okay. If he didn't "whine", the UFC continue exploiting him with no regard for his career.

Fans are appreciating that he's taking a stance. He's one of the few top guys that have spoken out (now Gegard's defection), and it really highlights some of the issues that the UFC has. Demetrious Johnson is arguably the #1 PVP fighter, and the UFC treats him like crap.

Which is why i hope, one day, bellator beats the FUCK out of the UFC. Not just for DJs sake, but for all the other fighters theyve mistreated.

These guys are just repeating what they read on Sherdog.

DJ "cherry picked" Pettis. They said no, UFC wanted Borg. He took that fight. DJ hasn't cherry picked anyone.

"ducked TJ"

But he said hed fight Cody G. The CHAMP of that division. TJ is not champ so....

Just curious....

BTW silva went up i believe ONE time.
And if im not mistaken, hes already "great" for his class.

Anderson went up in weight 3 times while cleaning out his division, he won them all via a 1st round KO.

FLW is the least stacked division on the entire roster along with Womens BW. DJ had a chance to fight a legit top contender and be on ppv, yet he refused and chose the easiest path.

Anderson went up in weight 3 times while cleaning out his division, he won them all via a 1st round KO.

How shameful. DJ is not Anderson Silva. He should be embarrassed and shamed online anonymously.

These guys are just repeating what they read on Sherdog.

DJ "cherry picked" Pettis. They said no, UFC wanted Borg. He took that fight. DJ hasn't cherry picked anyone.

Well im just WAITING to see what this dude says next.
Its somewhat shocking that alot of these posters cant seem to form a thought on their own. They seem to copy and paste what theyve seen because its popular and makes them feel like they are apart of some digital in crowd.

LOL

Just when I started liking him, he has really come across annoyingly lately.

FLW is the least stacked division on the entire roster along with Womens BW. DJ had a chance to fight a legit top contender and be on ppv, yet he refused and chose the easiest path.

Thats not all i mentioned.
He did say hed fight Cody.
Did u ignore that?

Jordan is GOAT.
But lebron is still a GREAT player nonetheless.

Well im just WAITING to see what this dude says next.
Its somewhat shocking that alot of these posters cant seem to form a thought on their own. They seem to copy and paste what theyve seen because its popular and makes them feel like they are apart of some digital in crowd.

LOL

This place is an echo chamber and has only gotten worse since posters are no longer pretending "I watch fights for fighting", they're all proud and allowed to enjoy MMA for the drama.

They can't remember 70% of the card, or don't watch it, and are forced to pretend stars like DJ are the most boring fighters alive. They are clearly not paying attention and joining too many circle jerks on Sherdog.

Last edited:
So could I... and belive me I did... but doesn't give you the right to undermine a highly skilled top fighter in MM. You wouldn't do the same to an elite 125lbs boxer I'm sure. You might argue you would, but I highly doubt you'd say it to either of their faces.

This unfortunately is an accurate statement. The division is the least interesting in terms of mainstream attraction, thus DJ needs the UFC a hell of a lot more than they need him. However, without him the UFC 125 division would no doubt crumble under the power vacuum. The problem is, no one would really notice.

The problem is there isn't a division within Bellator to support MM. I think it's fair enough for him to complain about issues he is confronting within his workplace. Every other worker in the world has the right to bitch about their employer without being forced to immediately switch companies. Just unfortunately MM is essentially stuck where he is. On the bright side, he will always have the respect of true MMA fans who appreciate his skill and contribution to the sport.
I respect his fighting abilities, but think very little of his career choices. He makes his bed time and time again. Lay in it already. "Every other worker in the world" who takes a job that was created, but wasn't really necessary rides that wave and isn't all that shocked when it all comes crashing down. Eventually someone bothers to look and they see it for what it is, a mistake. So do the disenchanted cry about how the world is out to get them? Nope. They go and find lucrative jobs. I'll conveniently use the 135 lbs division for the sake of my parable. (hint, hint)

Beating Irvin and Bonnar doesn't really mean much. MM, when he wasn't even close to the calibre of fighter he is today, had appreciably better wins at BW than Bonnar and Irvin. Joseph Benavidez (and perhaps even Dodson on his current BW run) was also probably better at BW than Griffin was at LHW.

FlyW is also probably deeper than HW and LHW at this point (can't really speak on any of the women's divisions as I don't follow them), and it has a far more promising future.

Thats not all i mentioned.
He did say hed fight Cody.
Did u ignore that?

Jordan is GOAT.
But lebron is still a GREAT player nonetheless.

He also said he'd fight TJ, except that when he was offered a contract he bailed out. All talk. DJ's a good fighter but not one of the greats, specially after his ducking behavior

I don't think it's necessary to address your 'cherry picking' point as it seems other posters have already called you out on this. The basic fact is there is no way DJ has cherry picked his opponents in any way. He has always fought the rightful contenders put in front of him, including re-matches against Dodson.

Re TJ. Why, in your eyes, does MM have an obligation to fight a champion/former champion in the weight class above him? MM has absolutely no moral obligation to move weight classes for anyone. If TJ wants to challenge him, TJ needs to make MM's weight. And interesting note (not that I am an advocate of MMA math in any way), Dodson KTFO Dillashaw in the TUF finals if you'll remember and MM has clearly dominated Dodson twice. Not that I don't think TJ would have a chance against Dodson, of course I do and TJ has obviously improved leaps and bounds since TUF, but I still maintain the fact that MM should be under absolutely no pressure to fight TJ unless TJ makes a clear move to his weight class.

Anderson Silva was great you're right. Go up in weight and KO former champs in the 1st round? Ok, if you're referring to Stephan Bonner I really don't think this is a fair comparison. Not taking anything from Silva's accomplishments, but his short-notice LHW fights were against guys who were widely considered to be way past their prime at the time of fighting. In my opinion, MM has no reason to try and emulate Silva's career, especially against the likes of TJ or even Cody.

Which is why i hope, one day, bellator beats the FUCK out of the UFC. Not just for DJs sake, but for all the other fighters theyve mistreated.

One day, yes. Something has to break this monopoly the UFC holds over MMA, especially in the lower weight classes which are automatically considered far less popular and also have much fewer 'legends' or 'big names' due to their limited history.

Another poster called it well, right now DJ needs to eat some humble pie, swallow his pride and realise in the grand scheme of the sport, he is currently nothing. He needs the UFC and for now, until his division gains more attention (which will take TIME) he needs to bite his lip and bide his time.

And...what do you do exactly?

I think you should go to him, beat his ass and get your OWN belt.
Cuz hey, hes a little dude and im sure you can fuck him up quick!

So when will you guys fight?
He seems like a nice guy wouldn't want to get in a fight with him. Not to mention we in two different weight divisions separated by 50 lb.

Back