Does Conor have an inability to learn sub defense

Conor has been subbed 4-5 times in his whole career. Through out his career he has repeatedly stated that he's ready and improved his ground game. Even his coaches would boast about it but Conor fails each time.

Ali Khabib's manager pointed out in a Twitter msg to Conor how to properly defend a neck crank. Joe Rogan pointed out how Conor could of defended it.

Remember Frank Trigg and how he got repeatedly choked out? Now he's a ref.

Feel Conor has the same problem. No matter how hard he drills sub defense, he will alwyz mentally panic and GIVE UP.

I disagree.
when the sub came at 4th round, Conor simply had nothing left.
It was not panic nor lack of knowledge IMO. He simply had nothing and you know Khabib would have continue his assault.

The way the Khabib fight was going he was going to lose anyway, even if he had defended that neck crank.

In the Nate Diaz fight he looked like he was all but done after Nate landed the 1-2. Nate could have finished the fight in any way he wanted. McGregor tried one last desperate takedown and it led to the submission.

In any case, a lack of submission defence wasn't the cause for either of his two losses. He got beat up and was exhausted.

Maybe he's like Sonnen. He never did learn how to defend a triangle.
but of course, when I go to see him lose, he fucking triangles Rua in like 1 minute.

he shut that stadium up.... everyone left in silence...

Conor's fine with tapping, he'd rather tap than go unconscious, risk joint/ligament damage, or get knocked out.

Verdict's still out on if he's okay with losing a decision.

I think he's ok with losing. He's been fairly respectful in his losses. I guess when you're wiping tears with $$$, it makes it a ton easier

Not only is it a way out, but I think it has more to do with just not taking anymore damage. Some guys will die by the sword but why bother taking unnecessary damage when you don't have to?
Yeah I can't necessarily hate that.

Thats why i do support a Just Bleed division, no weight limits, no rules etc.

TS thinks submission defense is like on the UFC games where all you have to do is press buttons to avoid them lol
Do u agree with wht Joe Rogan said about Conor defense or are u a casual and know who that is.

but of course, when I go to see him lose, he fucking triangles Rua in like 1 minute.

he shut that stadium up.... everyone left in silence...

Nothing more arousing to me than a Shogun fan in agony.

It was a guillotine bro.

God bless you Shogun fans.

I have never seen him display bad sub defense in the UFC.

He knows how to defend.

It was not a matter of being outgrappled into a sub. He was just gassed and got to a point where he simply did not even try to defend against Khabib.

Diaz had him rocked and panicking. And he gassed here as well.

It's not a matter of skill. It's more in his mind. But of course Diaz has great subs and Khabib has insane pressure that just broke Conor. No shame in losing to either.

I disagree.
when the sub came at 4th round, Conor simply had nothing left.
It was not panic nor lack of knowledge IMO. He simply had nothing and you know Khabib would have continue his assault.
We knw Conor has a history of tapping no big shock, but wht really made me think about it is what Rogan said about his defense.

Am old school and i agree with Rogan.Conor should of started attacking Khabib's hands right away before the crank got sunk in.

In his two UFC losses, he's been submitted by Nathan Diaz and Khabib Nurmegomedov.... think about those two fighters for a second and what they bring to the table vs Conor.

Conor was never going to win a ground battle with either of them. I think Jon Kavanagh even said it himself, they probably trained too much being reactive rather than proactive vs Khabib. Yes, train and be wary to Khabib's wrestling, but still try to counter and attack.

He doesn’t need to defend when he gives up his neck on purpose so he can quit.

Just using the Nate and Khabib fights as example, he was gassed and knew he was going to lose so he just gave up his neck and didn’t fight the sub at all.

Nothing more arousing to me than a Shogun fan in agony.

It was a guillotine bro.

God bless you Shogun fans.
I am not gonna lie, EVERYONE was disappointed.
Anti-climatic as hell.

People just got quiet and left the arena.

We knw Conor has a history of tapping no big shock, but wht really made me think about it is what Rogan said about his defense.

Am old school and i agree with Rogan.Conor should of started attacking Khabib's hands right away before the crank got sunk in.
I don't disagree with you.
But that did not come from bad BJJ; it came from the fact he was done.

Once a quitter always a quitter. Can’t teach a coward to have heart.

In his two UFC losses, he's been submitted by Nathan Diaz and Khabib Nurmegomedov.... think about those two fighters for a second and what they bring to the table vs Conor.

Conor was never going to win a ground battle with either of them. I think Jon Kavanagh even said it himself, they probably trained too much being reactive rather than proactive vs Khabib. Yes, train and be wary to Khabib's wrestling, but still try to counter and attack.

In all the videos that were posted for Conor's training against Khabib there wasn't a single one that I saw that showed him working on TDD or sub def, everything was standup. They were confident they could beat Khabib in the first couple of rounds by KO. It was Conor's cockiness that cost him, not his training. When a fighter gets to his level they forget they have coaches and they become the dictators, not the coaches training them. Coaches are paid by the fighters, not the other way around, so Conor's coach was going to let him do whatever he wanted, not what he should have.

Is that why he's successfully defended and escaped numerous sub attempts in the UFC, including from Diaz and Khabib who eventually tapped him?

He's 9-2 in the UFC, and 17-2 since 2011 with only the Khabib loss unavenged (which is impossible as they haven't rematched). People need to stop pretending he's a bum just because he lost his most recent fight.

In all the videos that were posted for Conor's training against Khabib there wasn't a single one that I saw that showed him working on TDD or sub def, everything was standup. They were confident they could beat Khabib in the first couple of rounds by KO. It was Conor's cockiness that cost him, not his training. When a fighter gets to his level they forget they have coaches and they become the dictators, not the coaches training them. Coaches are paid by the fighters, not the other way around, so Conor's coach was going to let him do whatever he wanted, not what he should have.

We'll all probably never know. Videos (and to be honest, like quotes) are only part of the story.

I do believe his coach a lot more because, just from reading stuff and his interviews, he seems like a genuine, stand up guy.

I also don't think they felt that they would beat Khabib early by KO. It was going to be a drawn out affair, second half of the fight. From what I could see, pick shots, move. If you get taken down, work on bottom, save energy and try to lock down and not take damage (first round IMO was about as good as it was going to get by Conor once he got taken down).

The game changer was the huge right hand in the second. A lot of energy got drained and he also ended up having to deviate from the original game plan. Khabib also no doubt surprised him.

And the thing about coaches, if that's the way anyone feels about coaches, then just do it yourself. You pay a guy to improve and tell you what to do to win a fight. If you're going to do what you're going to do, save the $50k or whatever cut Conor gave Kavanagh and do it himself.

Is that why he's successfully defended and escaped numerous sub attempts in the UFC, including from Diaz and Khabib who eventually tapped him?

He's 9-2 in the UFC, and 17-2 since 2011 with only the Khabib loss unavenged (which is impossible as they haven't rematched). People need to stop pretending he's a bum just because he lost his most recent fight.

He's past it and I'm not pretending

Back