Does Colby Covington get enough respect for his fighting abilities?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Portland8242, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Portland8242

Portland8242 Blue Belt

He doesn't have the most entertainment-friendly style, we all know that.

But how impressive are his ranked wins?

IMO, his win over DHK was very good. Showed phenomenal wrestling and conditioning, and smothered out DHK's superior striking.

His win over Maia was his most questionable one because he got pieced up a bit by a BJJ expert, but in the end his superior wrestling and cardio got him another win. Pretty good slugfest actually.

His win over RDA was another great showcase. Again he didn't look phased by another superior striker and went ahead and imposed his gameplan.

I'm worried about his style against Woodley though. Woodley can easily explode and break him off the wall-n-stall exchanges. Woodley doesn't typically take control of center cage but he will in this fight. Colby's got a good chin but he's gonna have to take some hits. He takes big shots in every fight but never gets phased by them, he's never fought anyone who hits as hard as Woodley.

2. I WILL CUT YOU

I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

What fighting abilities

He's a hugger

3. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

He has insane cardio and output making up for his rather average fighting skills.

He would be a easy fight for Woodley, imo. Woodley can neutralize his wrestling and let his big right do the magic.

4. Kvolcom

Kvolcom Purple Belt

He's not bad tbh he'll beat lots of guys bc of his style...but he'll fight someone he can't take down eventually and be in big trouble.

imo guys like Woodley, GSP and even Usman would wreck him. Lawler would prolly wreck him...that's a bad style match up. But lots of the other guys I see him beating.

Londonjitsu and Human Bass like this.
  5. pick999

pick999 Red Belt

boring style he literary held rda for 3 rounds doing nothing

6. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

On the forum where every other fight is boring, I can't wait to hear from the edgy rebels how great Colby's style is for real fans.

JeffDredd likes this.
  7. Diunx

Diunx Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

I give him as much respect as I give my blanket.

xP likes this.
  8. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Very effective. He could linger in the top 10 for years. I doubt he ever becomes champ.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  9. quantiqus

quantiqus Brown Belt

Actually, not really!

I don't think he can beat Woodley, but:
    - he has top wrestling
    - he has top cardio
    - he has a good chin
    - his only loss was due to a broken rib
    - a lot of ambition - seriously, watch his only loss, and watch his eyes when they anounce the winner
    - he can beat most of the fighters at WW. I don't know about Usman (legit wrestling, but Colby has better cardio), Wonderboy (although if Matt Brown did it) and Till (who should go to MW for his own sake)

He should improve his striking, though! Getting outboxed by 40 yo Maia should tell him something

10. snackgod

snackgod Red Belt

what I don't like about the Colby lovers are they say Woodley sucks cause he beat a old maia in a boring fight but they said Colby win vs maia was great when that fight was boring as well.

Colby has only 2 wins vs ranked people unlike Woodley could in the goat at ww talk now a days,

11. NotoriousMillions

NotoriousMillions Yellow Card Yellow Card

He just kind of grinds to point fight at this point. Which is fine, but the moment he faces someone with some hands, he's going to get knocked out, i.e. Woodley.

magicmarker and xP like this.
  12. xP

xP Red Belt

He can wrestle very well. One of the top wrestlers in the division. Great conditioning and seems pretty tough. Grappling on the mat isn't that great but he's not clueless. Striking is pretty shit. Lots of volume but he's just throwing shit out there, not very good technically or strategically.

We might be overestimating him though. He's definitely a pretty good WW. RDA is very legit in the division but RDA has had problems with grinders before and isn't a large WW. DHK and Maia are ancient grapplers. He hasn't beaten a good striker his size or just someone with good TDD in general.

He has nothing to offer Woodley but he should be able to hang out in the top ten for a while as long as he holds form.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    magicmarker likes this.
  13. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Steel Belt Platinum Member

Dude is an absolute BEAST wrestler & grinder. He wears mo-foz down like a bawse.

magicmarker likes this.
  14. Jimmy jump

Jimmy jump Brown Belt

He's got good cardio, output and is good at smothering people without doing much damage. His striking sucks, his defence is terrible and he hasn't got much power. Don't see how he ever becomes champion tbh.

15. p4pgoat

p4pgoat Blue Belt Platinum Member

Uhhh did you see his last fight?
    [​IMG]

16. Sickbro69420

Sickbro69420 White Belt

He the greatest

17. TeddyT

TeddyT Orange Belt

He gets too much respect, there have been dozens of boring wrestlers in the UFC that likely could have attained contender status if the UFC hadn't RIGHTFULLY put them on the slow track for success. Sadly his boomerang incident and general fan hatred has boosted his profile and the UFC is hoping to cash in on people waiting to see him lose.

JeffDredd likes this.
  18. Codpiece

Codpiece I was penetrated by a 9’ Johnson

No.

He’s a pretty good fighter. Not exciting, but moreso than Usman. The fact that he is quite boring and behaves like a total penis makes people think he is only an ordinary fighter.

19. cmw43

cmw43 Bad Boys Club

Who has Usman beat that makes you think he could beat Colby? Short notice Maia with no camp?