Does BJJ Work In Real Fighting?

85% of street fights end up on the ground at some point

Most people aren't NCAA champions
Kung fu and Aikido would also work. An athlete who can't fight has a good chance on the streets, but this not what we are talking about.

BJJ guy meets disciplined Boxer/Wrestler. Who goes home happy? LOL

I put my money on Boxer/Wrestler who is expecting the takedown.

You punch a guy who has trained nothing but BJJ, and they’ll curl up in the fetal position. They’re not use to taking punches.

<mma3>

Considering there's only a handful of people who're actually wrestlers, I'm confident someone who trains BJJ can takedown your average Joe and choke them out.

I think it's useful to end confrontations.. example..

most BJJ guys learn at least 1 or 2 basic takedowns which should be effective against common street bums.

a simple 1-2 from boxing solves 90% of problems as well.

kung-fu and the more performance-art oriented forms of karate have been shown to save people against aggressors.

most martial arts are good for self-defense, not everyone is trying to become a championship level UFC fighter.

BJJ classes are usually right after wrestling. Everybody's cross training these days.

It's definitely good to know, but to be honest, going to down to the ground in an uncontrolled environment is sketchy. There could always be some asshole looking to kick your head like a soccer ball and you could just get stuck down there.

That's not to say someone couldn't sucker punch you while you're standing, but you get the point.

On the streets Covington would be wearing a jacket or shirt and pants, and Maia would easily submit him. UFC isn't real fighting.

<mma3>

Considering there's only a handful of people who're actually wrestlers, I'm confident someone who trains BJJ can takedown your average Joe and choke them out.

and then if they're wrestlers they'd have to be good strikers for you to worry which effectively means that if you're going beyond BJJ for self-defense you're training for someone who's at the very least a 2-dimensional fighter.

it's really odd and funny because there are guys in BJJ/MMA gyms who sign-up or sign-up their kids for BJJ [or something else] as a second martial art in case the person on the street knows something that can neutralize what they're training.

Like you're literally overthinking it way beyond practical necessity in that case.

If you're a BJJ guy and you get into a street fight it's unlikely that you're going to get to the point where you're in the a tempo of getting your takedowns stuffed and you look at your opponent and strategize in your head "hmm... he's a wrestler, which means I have to strike or do _____". You're either on the ground before you can think like that or find a way not to get killed.

Because in real fighting everyone of your opponent is/was an all-american division 1 wrestler. Idiot.
Yeah, cuz it’s gonna take an all-American wrestler to stop a takedown from a dweeb who trains bjj a couple times a week.

Back