Does anyone think the Khabib knockdown punch and the Aldo KO punch looked similar?

Yes it is similar but Conor hesitated and got knockdown. That is the genius of Khabib's strategy because his opponents are afraid of his takedown and that opens up striking opportunities.

In both cases, you can see Conor tap the opponent’s hand with his right hand while setting up his left. And both punches by Khabib and Aldo seemed like wild lunging punches.

I was surprised at how far off Conor’s timing was throughout the fight. He normally likes to bait his opponents into committing heavily with an overhand strike. But his reaction look way off on Khabib’s overhand right. It also looks like he was about to counter with a left, but hesitated too much and reacted way too slow.

Crush.gif

iNrxDqXENOV26CNWvkrR8brvr1hM07VHgYBWjDGYUDM.gif
He messed between what his body likes to do and what his training probably set him up to do.

Trying to stay away to avoid the TD messed up his notion of distance.

Its what happens when you fight a high level grappler,it is what was happening when he fought Mendez.

Main difference is Mendez is half of Connie size and the dude had no training camp going into that fight.

Its why i shake my head when some people here says Connie “looked slow/different”last Sunday.

He tried the same tactics he did against Mendez on Khabib.
The tip kick,long lunging punches trying to push and trap Khabib against the wall to set up his distance but he can’t bully a big dude like that the same way he did at FW.

Khabibs circling off constantly and controlling the center was also a huge part of success.

Dude got exposed.

Back