Does anyone still play gwent?

I played it when I re-played Witcher 3 a few months ago. :D

Tried the standalone version once or twice, and could not get into it.

Playing witcher 3 again. Could use some Gwent tips. I never took the time to learn it the first time I played.

Playing witcher 3 again. Could use some Gwent tips. I never took the time to learn it the first time I played.

get spy cards and cards that can resurrect a used card

use decoys to:
1) use a spy card enemy played against you
2) use resurrect card twice
3) use unit destroying cards twice

clean your deck out of low value cards
cards that boost each other are op with commanders horn, for example
northern realms siege unit, value 8, two of them next to each other, both are 16 for total of 32. slap a commanders horn to double them for total of 64

use decoys to:

northern realms siege unit, value 8, two of them next to each other, both are 16 for total of 32. slap a commanders horn to double them for total of 64

I vaguely recall bringing a clear weather card to ensure this strat is foolproof. Or bring a weather inducing card that doesn't affect the field you are attacking from.

I haven't played it since it went into open beta. I liked it a lot for about a week, but I usually burn out on card games pretty quick. Gwent really only remarkable because it made for such a good mini-game.

Geralt of Rivia plays a bit

I vaguely recall bringing a clear weather card to ensure this strat is foolproof. Or bring a weather inducing card that doesn't affect the field you are attacking from.
I liked to play northern realms with leader ability that cancels bad weather effects.

That dragon unit that kills strongest non hero melee card(s) from your opponents table as long as total value of the row is over 10?

If enemy has a hero card and lot of melee cards, use weather card to reduce every non-hero card value to 1, then play that dragon unit to kill them all. Very nice against monster -faction that has lot of melee cards.

I'm stuck playing gwent because I cant get a magic arena invite. Anyone still play this shit?
i haven't played for a couple weeks, but i had been playing a lot and will probably play again more regularly soon.

From the responses it looks like it's some kind of RPG, but from the name I thought it was something like QWOP or GIRP.

From the responses it looks like it's some kind of RPG, but from the name I thought it was something like QWOP or GIRP.
it was a card-based mini-game in witcher 3 that has been further developed into a standalone game

Honestly gwent is really tedious.. especially if you're playing a Nilfgard deck holy fuck.

use decoys to:

<{1-14}>

this guy gets it

During my Witcher 3 playthrough I became way more intense about the in-game Gwent Tournaments than anything else, so I can guarentee I picked up the best habits eventually

All these rules go out the window when you play the standalone Gwent video game though, so keep that in mind. The latest Gwent game limits the use of decoys and spies because it basically had to. Players would have spammed spy-recall spy-play spy-recall spy over and over again until everyone's eyeballs bled

If you're playing Witcher 3's version of Gwent however, you're in luck as you can stock up on more spy/decoy cards than any opponent you'll ever encounter in-game, which basically guarantees victory if your other cards have any perks whatsoever, and you play your spies/decoys late in round

The most commonly used strategy for beating the game's hardest tournaments (in the base game AND Blood/Wine DLC) revolves around a strong Northern Realms deck (locate and acquire medic cards, all decoy cards, spy cards and keep everything else generally high value)

not to mention this guy
villentretenmerth_card.jpg

whose "destroy highest value on opposite team" perk is invaluable against monster decks (who have a tendency to multiply their ranks by the same value, thereby dooming them all to this perk)

The game comes down to playing perks as late as possible - after your opponent exhausts some of their best tools

If you can sluff a few cards at the start of every round (tossing out 5s, 6s, cards with no perks, etc) then you will draw out your opponent's deadliest cards quickly, which will typically be cards like Scorch in the base game, along with spies

latest

if you wait for your opponent to place their spies first, you can scoop them up by playing decoy cards and immediately toss them down for your side. The game at its highest level turns into a spy/decoy arms race to see which side can steal/revive the most spies, so collecting and playing those classes in any deck is your strongest bet.

Northern Realms in the base game has higher overall point totals for its non-perk characters than other decks (who lose overall value by having more multiply-cards perks)

The news about the homecoming patch is sad. The developers are basically admitting that they’ve fucked the game up. There’s so many broken mechanics in this game that are open to abuse, that CDPR have said in six months time they’re going to relaunch it. I love the game to be fair. It’s my first venture into a competitive card game and I hit around rank 20 each monthly season.

As the game stands though, the coin flip issue still isn’t solved, and coin flip abuse is rife. The devs can’t do anything right. Any time they introduce something new, it’s so open to abuse that people build whole decks centred around a single card. Like Imlerith sabbath for example - a fun idea, but the garbage community would rather squash you with cheese tactics than play a back and forth match full of suspense. Every YouTuber these days is putting out videos showing you how to make the most abusive non interactive decks, and if you’re like me and you prefer ranked over casual, and having something to show after each game, then you’re forced to also adopt no fun allowed strategies that capatilasize on the devs attempts to innovate.

I’m glad they chose to wipe the slate. No other developer would allow a hundred strong team to have another bite of the cherry, especially for a free to play game in which they have no obligation to the player base. That’s CDPR for you. Also, if you ever see a Soyboy on YouTube called “mcbeard” don’t even give him the views. He’s one of these toads who puts out videos (mouth wide open in the thumbnail) showing kids how to build the most slimiest decks, and 95% of the time it’s a deck he has copied from elsewhere, like Gwentdb

I'll admit that I got a big kick out of my early monsters deck. Going from having just 3 to something like 50 monsters or so in the span of 1-2 turns was pretty funny. The length of time that the other player had to wait watching all my monsters spawn felt like such a troll. And I always got mad at people who kept me from snowballing them by using a ton of -3 damage spells. Ha!

It is a shame that so many people just look to somebody else to build a deck for them though. It removes most of the thought for the player.

Ooooh. I'm giving my students a mock AP exam today, and I just realized that I have Gwent installed on my Surface. Looks like the internet filter isn't getting in the way either.

yeah, i think that the homecoming idea is good in that they've recognized there's an issue with the game and are making a commitment to improve it instead of just cutting their losses, but 6 months is a long, long time.

and i like mcbeard actually. i don't find that he uploads videos on cancerous decks, and he doesn't have images of himself in his video thumbnails so maybe you're thinking of someone else. but like his last few deck videos have been about a Crow's Eye deck, a handbuff Scoia'tael deck, and a Blood Moon deck, all of which seem pretty off-meta to me. i think he's a good caster as well.

it's swim that i can't stand.

yeah, i think that the homecoming idea is good in that they've recognized there's an issue with the game and are making a commitment to improve it instead of just cutting their losses, but 6 months is a long, long time.

and i like mcbeard actually. i don't find that he uploads videos on cancerous decks, and he doesn't have images of himself in his video thumbnails so maybe you're thinking of someone else. but like his last few deck videos have been about a Crow's Eye deck, a handbuff Scoia'tael deck, and a Blood Moon deck, all of which seem pretty off-meta to me. i think he's a good caster as well.

it's swim that i can't stand.

The latest hand buff deck he showcased is generally agreed to be the worst coin flip abuse deck out there. It encompasses the abuse of 3 seperate mechanics. Broover has access to the spy card every game, and if you have the spy card you can instead use Broover to pull Barclay els into Cleaver. Also, when you play the spy card, it pulls a gold card every time in Muzzle, because of the spy’s ability. On top of that, if you lose round 1 you can dry pass round 2 with eleven wardancers, another broken card. I literally thought “wtf” when I saw him showing it off on YouTube, and the dislike ratio he get from that one isn’t surprising. The guy can only play with the cards he’s dealt and it’s the devs fault really

It’s derived from Swims “coin flip nova” deck to be fair. And you’re right, Swim is generally the guy coming up with this game breaking garbage, but in that sense I reluctantly respect his ability to think outside the box, and that he uses his own ideas. I just wish none of this shit was in the game at all, and the only reason I reluctantly use it is after being on the end of it. The people who use overpowered broken shit by default deserve nothing but the greatest misfortunes in life.

The latest hand buff deck he showcased is generally agreed to be the worst coin flip abuse deck out there. It encompasses the abuse of 3 seperate mechanics. Broover has access to the spy card every game, and if you have the spy card you can instead use Broover to pull Barclay els into Cleaver. Also, when you play the spy card, it pulls a gold card every time in Muzzle, because of the spy’s ability. On top of that, if you lose round 1 you can dry pass round 2 with eleven wardancers, another broken card. I literally thought “wtf” when I saw him showing it off on YouTube, and the dislike ratio he get from that one isn’t surprising. The guy can only play with the cards he’s dealt and it’s the devs fault really

It’s derived from Swims “coin flip nova” deck to be fair. And you’re right, Swim is generally the guy coming up with this game breaking garbage, but in that sense I reluctantly respect his ability to think outside the box, and that he uses his own ideas. I just wish none of this shit was in the game at all, and the only reason I reluctantly use it is after being on the end of it. The people who use overpowered broken shit by default deserve nothing but the greatest misfortunes in life.
yeah, since i haven't been playing in a while i guess i didn't realize that this handbuff version of the brouver deck was that oppressive. the spy/cleaver abuse was obviously going on when i was playing, and wardancers are obviously broken, but the handbuff focus of the deck is definitely different from the swarm or nova focus of the deck when i was playing more.

but i still think that video is more of an exception to his content that is generally off-meta. aside from the ST one, what would you say is his last deck feature on an abusive deck? maybe the deathwish nova one from a couple months ago, but i think i remember him offering apologies at the start of that video too for it being about an uninteresting deck.

i can respect swim's knowledge of the game of course, but as a broadcaster/personality i think he's godawful.

yeah, since i haven't been playing in a while i guess i didn't realize that this handbuff version of the brouver deck was that oppressive. the spy/cleaver abuse was obviously going on when i was playing, and wardancers are obviously broken, but the handbuff focus of the deck is definitely different from the swarm or nova focus of the deck when i was playing more.

but i still think that video is more of an exception to his content that is generally off-meta. aside from the ST one, what would you say is his last deck feature on an abusive deck? maybe the deathwish nova one from a couple months ago, but i think i remember him offering apologies at the start of that video too for it being about an uninteresting deck.

i can respect swim's knowledge of the game of course, but as a broadcaster/personality i think he's godawful.

The people who make fortnite, epic games, used to make a game called paragon, and they’ve buried it to focus on fortnite, so I’m a bit salty towards anything gaming, and I play solo mostly, I could dominate on that game even though it was team based. But I digress

The Dagon deck is actually the first one I thought of. That’s one of the only other videos of his I’ve seen, and soon after seeing that, it’s all I was playing on the ladder. It was problematic at first, but as soon as you learn to immediately clear Dagons weather, you eliminate his best engine right off the bat, and normally they don’t have any more with that deck. The only reason that deck was viable was because Dagon is a 12 point weather, so you get an engine, as well as tempo. If Dagon never pulled a foglet, that deck would be super balanced imo. So there is a counter to that deck, but the Brouver hand buff has no counter.

I blame the community. I think when a developer tries to innovate, there’s always gonna stuff that slips through that’s open to abuse. As a community you have to be mature and asses whether your victories are due to your own skill, or exploring some garbage oversight. Another absolutely broken archetype is the handbuff nilfgard deck. Infuriating to play against.

Back