Does anyone remember the "Satanic panic" of the 80s and early 90s?

Growing up I remember Richard Ramirez "The Night Stalker."

When he was caught showed the pentagram on his hand. The guy was obviously possessed.
Learn a bunch more when I grew up.

Obviously possessed? Doubt it. He grew with an abusive father and grew up on stories by his cousin a green beret about raping and killing women during the vietnam war, and saw his cousin kill his wife. He just took on the satanic symbols since they were blown up by the media and were a good fit with his new nighttime hobby.

Obviously possessed? Doubt it. He grew with an abusive father and grew up on stories by his cousin a green beret about raping and killing women during the vietnam war, and saw his cousin kill his wife. He just took on the satanic symbols since they were blown up by the media and were a good fit with his new nighttime hobby.
I know about his childhood but murder, especially the spilling of blood, is automatic demon possession as well as other bondages.

I know about his childhood but murder, especially the spilling of blood, is automatic demon possession as well as other bondages.

Serial murders peaked in the 80s and could have been a consequence of the hysteria built up around satanism so ironically by sensationalizing murders and giving killers celebrity status, anti-satanists created monsters which helped them 'prove' that satanic cults were taking over.
Then when the satanic hype died, the satanic-murder rate also dropped despite devil music being as popular as ever, corporations getting bigger and bigger etc..

At least one killer Son of Sam iirc boasted that he fooled everyone with his story about demonic possession with the story about a devil dog.

Serial murders peaked in the 80s and could have been a consequence of the hysteria built up around satanism so ironically by sensationalizing murders and giving killers celebrity status, anti-satanists created monsters which helped them 'prove' that satanic cults were taking over.
Then when the satanic hype died, the satanic-murder rate also dropped despite devil music being as popular as ever, corporations getting bigger and bigger etc..

At least one killer Son of Sam iirc boasted that he fooled everyone with his story about demonic possession with the story about a devil dog.
I don't want to get into it because people don't believe me on this board but I practiced witchcraft for 18 months.

The guy was demon possessed. I know he had a horrible childhood but so did many ex gangsters. This guy died completely unrepentant, kind of revealing his true character.

The guy chose evil.

We grew up with metal in my house I have prolly been listening to secret satanic messages since 82

Before my time but there were remnants. There was an abandoned church on a vacant lot in my neighborhood that had never been occupied after a fire. The rumor was that "satanists" did it in the 80's. There was some weird aberration in the cement and it was insisted it was a devil head carved out by those same satanists lol. It was actually a pretty creepy spot!

I vaguely remember but honestly how many theistic satanists even exist? Aren't most "satanists" just atheists who use the character as a symbol of freedom or something. I wonder how many people believe in God and Satan but choose to worship Satan.

A lot of the guys in the early Scandinavian Black Metal scene went balls out. Burning down churches, torturing people, killing people.

But most of the guys who are still standing today will tell you that the occult symbolism and shit was a gimmick that seemed real because of all the fucked up shit that actually happened.

Exactly. Most of that shit was just to give their band a "dark" image. Although, a lot of crazy shit happened for sure. Lords of Chaos is a great read.

I vaguely remember but honestly how many theistic satanists even exist? Aren't most "satanists" just atheists who use the character as a symbol of freedom or something. I wonder how many people believe in God and Satan but choose to worship Satan.

That's a good question, really. I'm sure that SOME do. There has to be a real, legit, true core of actual Satan worshippers.

As for the rest, it's pretty retarded to take on the label of "Satanist" knowing the confusion it would cause.

There was supposedly a satanic cult that would sometimes meet in the woods/swamp area near my house that I grew up in, turns out the area has a cemetery that has colonists' and Indian graves, and a famous ghost hunter grew up about a few hundred feet from there and his house was supposedly haunted; so in hindsight it's just as interesting as when I was a kid.
Also rumors that satanists met in a cave behind a nearby amusement park.

There's an area where I grew up called Hauser Canyon. It's in a very secluded rural area and there are a bunch of rumors about what goes on there. A kid from my town would tell a story his step dad had relayed to him about something he had supposedly witnessed there.

Supposedly, he was camping down there on a deer hunt with his buddy. They were both awoken by some loud sounds during the night. When they crawled out of their tent they could see one whole side of the canyon glowing. They thought there was a wild fire so they climbed up this ledge to get a look. When they peaked over the edge there were supposedly dozens of people wearing cloaks around a bonfire down below. Scared the sh!t out of them so they bailed. That's the story. A few other people over the years corroborated that there was something to it.

My friends and I went camping down there something like four times during high school but we never saw anything or anyone other than some hunters and some illegals crossing over from Mexico. It is a pretty gnarly stretch of land so you definitely get a sense of awe when your down there. I always chalked the stories up to small town myths and legends. Though it definitely made the camping trips more exciting and heightened your edge while you were down there.

Of course there is, but it's not a part of the overall Satanic agenda. Satan's plan is clandestine.

I remember my priest gave a sermon when I was young and he talked about what he called "cartoon Satanism." The idea that Satan has horns, cloven hooves, a red cape and a pitchfork. My priest said Satan took many forms. A well dressed business man etc. I was only like 10, so I can't remember if he was talking metaphorically or what, but that always stuck with me.

Yep,

We had some kids at another jr high in the city commit suicide in a pact and it was blamed on Satanism. They were metal heads.

Wow, I remember similar stuff...I lived in a small town and was in grade school at the time...I remember there were really specific instances where kids were supposed to be kidnapped, etc....like one time there was a rumor that blonde hair blue eyed kids were gonna be kidnapped...another time a satanic motorcycle gang was gonna come through town and kidnap kids lol...I remember the same though - parents wouldn't let kids be out those nights...I was pretty skeptical at the time but still a little bit concerned I suppose...

Bare with me here.

In the 80's there was a huge increase in divorces. A bunch of kids in that era lived through their parents getting divorced. When those kids grew up divorce was basically normal to them in a sense because they and many other people they knew went through that. Divorce rates are much higher now.

With things like you're describing, I wonder if it isn't a psyop at some level. All these kids grow up with these experiences of their parents freaking out over gossip, rumor, and innuendo that never amounts to anything. When those kids grow up, informed by those experiences, they posses a certain skepticism of such notions. Whether it be rumors of alleged kidnapping, nefarious influences in music or hollywood, what have you. It gets chalked up to a nothingburger. This provides a certain level of cover for any attempt of legitimate subversion or malfeasance.

I'm actually feeling kind of nostalgic for the days when parents were so protective of their kids. Even if it was sort of misplaced. Nowadays kids have access to and are exposed to so much more than I was growing up. I shudder at the thought of how things will progress from here and how it will effect society. I always say, "It ain't Leave it to Beaver and white pickett fences anymore, those days are mostly gone."

With some of the stories out there about what goes on with psychological warfare and propaganda with the goal of influencing the citizenry, I always wonder about the motivation and intent of these types of incidents and from where they originate. Think of things like operation mockingbird.

Yes and that silly movie depicting Tom hanks as a guy who became a crazy murderer because of dungeons and dragons.

Movie was called mazes and monsters.

Twas a thing for sure

Dungeons & Dragons corrupting the youth.

that is goddamn awful

It is, but if you're going to have a conversation about Satanism in relation to Black Metal, real Black Metal should be listed. Cradle of Filth is a highly stylized form of Black Metal that commercially profited off of the image of the dudes who killed people and burned down churches.

It is, but if you're going to have a conversation about Satanism in relation to Black Metal, real Black Metal should be listed. Cradle of Filth is a highly stylized form of Black Metal that commercially profited off of the image of the dudes who killed people and burned down churches.
Ah, didnt realize we shifted to music

It's worse now than back then. The only difference is people glorify it and make it hip these days. Listen closely to some of these song lyrics and watch some of these tv shows/movies.

Also, satanic rituals are easy to hide from the general public. Some celebs brag about it.

Back