Does anyone know where i can find 80's Shooto events?

binny

I'll beat your ass if you jump on my couch.
@Brown
Reaction score
The professional and amateur? cannot find them myself and I really wanna see them.

God dammit. this posting posts in the proper discussion works so well...
HELP ME!
edit- all good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:
Local Japanese video rental store VHS? There's a good chance the bouts are abbreviated.

Local Japanese video rental store VHS? There's a good chance the bouts are abbreviated.
I saw a good few of these in my local Japanese video rental store at the weekend.

I have an event from '89 on one of my hard drives but I'm not sure if it's on the internet publicly. There's very little footage of the first few years to be found online

Perhaps someone on sherdog can help you. I'd try there.

Some of the footage in this highlight is from the 80's, almost all of it is prior to the rules change where Shooto added ground and pound to the face and took away the limited time for ground-work:

Thanks to a good friend, I have a pretty good amount of 80's-early 90's Shooto. One of the most interesting guys to watch is Kusayanagi; he has a judo and wrestling background and pulls out some very cool submissions. One of the interesting things with him is how the limited ground-time seems to really impede him and possibly stop him from having been a dominant force.

Maybe I will work on getting some of it up online. For some reason, I feel more comfortable uploading it in the form of a highlight rather than posting full events or matches, because I'm not sure whether or not it is okay for me to do the latter or if the person who took the trouble to give me the DVDs would be cool with me doing so or not.

Yuki Nakai's title-winning effort against Kusayanagi is online. He plays a ton of butterfly guard in it...it's on the Paraestra Youtube channel, if I recall. I am hunting for it, I'll post it if I find it.

Huh. Looks as if Nakai's Paraestra channel has been taken down...possibly for uploading his own fight....? Either that or my search skills suck.

Some of the footage in this highlight is from the 80's, almost all of it is prior to the rules change where Shooto added ground and pound to the face and took away the limited time for ground-work:

Thanks to a good friend, I have a pretty good amount of 80's-early 90's Shooto. One of the most interesting guys to watch is Kusayanagi; he has a judo and wrestling background and pulls out some very cool submissions. One of the interesting things with him is how the limited ground-time seems to really impede him and possibly stop him from having been a dominant force.

Maybe I will work on getting some of it up online. For some reason, I feel more comfortable uploading it in the form of a highlight rather than posting full events or matches, because I'm not sure whether or not it is okay for me to do the latter or if the person who took the trouble to give me the DVDs would be cool with me doing so or not.

anything helps! thanks for the vid!

The professional and amateur? cannot find them myself and I really wanna see them.
Here are some pics and clips...starting around 6:00

There are 4 hls actually...but only #3 has some really old school clips in there..check this guy out...he got a lot of footage from a lot of orgs...if you haven't seen those, go for it

He is a former poster on sherdog i believe...

Doggone it, nobody watches my Noboru Asahi highlight! I really wanted to get the word out that Noboru Asahi was a beast who pulled off amazing moves on a regular basis.

Someone should just post his (Asahi's) spin-kick to rolling knee-bar transition as a stand-alone. Because that sort of just tells you everything you need to know.

You can also find some early footage if you search for:
Satoru Sayama (aka Tiger Mask)
He is one of the founders of Shooto and had a couple of fights in there.

And yes guys...japanese commentary is awesome!
I don't understand shit...but it sounds fucking exciting

One fight I have never seen that sounds interesting is Erik Paulson versus Hayato Sakurai's sempai, Naoki Sakurada. Paulson said that Sakurada attempted to use donkey guard against him, which makes sense because Sakurada's rolling leg-locks were excellent but his overall ground game was definitely worse than Paulson's and Paulson was also a bit bigger. They fought to a draw, so perhaps the donkey guard strategy worked a bit. Either way, I'd like to see it.

You can also find some early footage if you search for:
Satoru Sayama (aka Tiger Mask)
He is one of the founders of Shooto and had a couple of fights in there.

And yes guys...japanese commentary is awesome!
I don't understand shit...but it sounds fucking exciting

Japanese miguel torres gets put 2 sleep at 12:40

Back