Does anyone know anything about Mcburney Judo in NYC?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by cino, Jan 23, 2015.

1. cino White Belt

cino
    Does anybody train at Mcburney YMCA in manhattan and know anything about their judo program? I already have a place to train, but there location is a little better for me. Who teaches there? And what is the environment like?

2. trewq White Belt

trewq
    Small classes, mostly white belts. Good prices, especially if you go more than once per week. The atmosphere is friendly. It is fine if you are a beginner or casual about training. Nobody there is an active competitor, at least when I was there. It is in a YMCA, so there is a weight room and a pool if you are not too tired after class, which I think lets out around 10 if my memory is correct. The head instructor is a Japanese man in his 70s. There is a second instructor, an American in his late 60s. Both are very knowledgeable, though neither rolls anymore, obviously. There is also a former cop/army guy that is a recent black belt and very friendly and helpful. He runs the class if the other two are late. Other than that, it is mostly lower belts.

3. trewq White Belt

trewq
    Out of curiosity, where do you train now, and what part of town is most convenient for you?

4. RLXSJP White Belt

RLXSJP
    Great Program. Anyone wants to join, like trewq said, there are plenty other things around after class to get a quick workout in within 30 minutes. Alot of people complain about not finding it online, I will find the link soon and paste here.