Does anyone else use the front leg hook kick?

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I love it because with the sweeping motion, it is hard to miss with it. Also it backs your opponent off of you, and it can set up hands.

If you don

Last edited:
I can't ever see myself using it seeing as its hard to generate any power in it. Do you feel it lacks power at all TS?
Someone who can throw it fast enough however could probably catch anyone with it since its so rare for someone to use it.

I have once, in sparring. The guy gave me a :eek: WFT look but it landed on his chest so did almost no damage at all. Not a technique I'd rely on.

I can't ever see myself using it seeing as its hard to generate any power in it. Do you feel it lacks power at all TS?
Someone who can throw it fast enough however could probably catch anyone with it since its so rare for someone to use it.

The whipping motion generates the power. It is a powerfull kick and it can knock you off your feet, especially if you land the heel to the opponent's jaw, or temple. I like it cuz it covers a nice range, from right to left in a sweep.

See beginning of video:

I consider it a high risk low reward kick. It doesn't generate a lot of relative power and it's easy to counter and defend.

I have once, in sparring. The guy gave me a :eek: WFT look but it landed on his chest so did almost no damage at all. Not a technique I'd rely on.

Well the chest is not supposed to be the target. I wouldnt give up on it because of that.

I like this video better...all things aside this guy knows his TKD and seems to be good at instructing.

I consider it a high risk low reward kick. It doesn't generate a lot of relative power and it's easy to counter and defend.

Its not high risk if you set it up with hands, or look down before throwing it.
Its a great kick and I order you to use it damn it!!

Well the chest is not supposed to be the target. I wouldnt give up on it because of that.

Well I know but hitting the head clean is hard as fuck with that kick, even if you're stretched like a young Van Damme. Most guys flinch back and you end up dropping your foot on their chest so they can grab it and throw you on your ass! :p

How DO you set it up with your hands? I though it was supposed to be used in teep range as a surprise attack? Or when you miss a roundhouse kick. In kicking range anyway.

The whipping motion generates the power. It is a powerfull kick and it can knock you off your feet, especially if you land the heel to the opponent's jaw, or temple. I like it cuz it covers a nice range, from right to left in a sweep.

See beginning of video:

i'm going to have to disagree with it being powerful, if you were to see the same kick performed on a heavy bag it would look feeble in comparison with other kicks. It would definitely be effective if you were to strike with the heel, but that doesn't mean it has much force behind it.

I prefer the twist kick over the hook. But, I've landed it when the opponent thought I was going for a backstep side kick and dropped their hands, so, it isn't NOT on the menu.

i'm going to have to disagree with it being powerful, if you were to see the same kick performed on a heavy bag it would look feeble in comparison with other kicks. It would definitely be effective if you were to strike with the heel, but that doesn't mean it has much force behind it.

Thats the heavy bag though. That kick is better served on a focus mitt or a BOB. The spin hook kick is powerful than a mug, and it would look weak on the heavy bag too. You want to use those kicks on something with give, like the head for instance. Not something without give, like the body.

I used it all during my younger and teen years. In sparring I could almost hit people at will with it, that and the lead round kick. This was when I was doing more TKD / Karate type stuff only. I still do on occasion today, just not as prominently.

It's a good kick, quick, deceptive, and a staple in TKD. However it's high risk because it's a head level kick and you need to be fairly close to get the proper range to heel strike. If the other guy has his guard up, it's nearly impossible to land properly. You're exposing your lower body at the same time. One counter I'd use when someone chambers is to simply front push kick their hip/butt/thigh.

Granted, timing is everything.

Thats the heavy bag though. That kick is better served on a focus mitt or a BOB. The spin hook kick is powerful than a mug, and it would look weak on the heavy bag too. You want to use those kicks on something with give, like the head for instance. Not something without give, like the body.

of course it is, because a focus mit or BOB would offer less resistance. If we were to compare a roundhouse headkick on a focus mit with a front leg hook kick on a focus mit the difference in power would be evident just as much as if it was performed on the heavy bag.

My spinning hook/heel kick doesn't look weak on a bag...at least I don't think so. :cool:

Haha.

Saagmag, how do you usually set up the kick?

I just throw the rear off the right hand once in a blue moon to keep my opponent guessing. I see TKD guys and such throw similar things as counters, but given their ruleset, it's difficult to tell how much is applicable.

I would use it in sparring every so often... and anyone who throws a lot of lead roundhouse kicks to the leg can get away with using it the same way. Throw one or two hard lead roundhouse kicks to the leg and you will get your opponent to check them. Once he lifts his leg to check it, chamber and spin it around into a hook kick.

That being said, I never felt comfortable using this kick in competition, both in Karate and kickboxing. Even if you hit someone hard with it, they just have to throw your leg down and you're immediately out of position to defend an attack. I don't see the gain in it, outside of looking cool.

I use it in point sparring only. I do throw some step through hook kicks with the rear leg in contact sparring...but never the front leg hook. Someone said it earlier in here...high risk - low reward.

of course it is, because a focus mit or BOB would offer less resistance. If we were to compare a roundhouse headkick on a focus mit with a front leg hook kick on a focus mit the difference in power would be evident just as much as if it was performed on the heavy bag.

I didnt say it was the most powerful kick on the block. It's powerful in its own right, and most important, it comes at an angle most do not expect. Thats why kicks like these are effective. Different angle usage.

Back