Does anyone else not care about the heavyweight division?

I still like watching guys like Stipe, Werdum and Overeem but yeah new blood is badly needed

Like, I'll watch the fights because they can be entertaining sometimes, but I don't follow its development closely

It is a novelty division IMO. A guy like Cain Velasquez, who had all the tools to be GOAT, just has his career completely go to shit

Old washed up fighters like Overeem are still relevant and anyone has a puncher's chance

The only saving grace are the frequent vicious KOs. That's why even though the division is as shallow as flyweight it will always draw

You don't follow its development because it doesn't really develop lol.

Last edited:
Outside of WMMA, heavyweight is the division I have the least interest in. It's a simple question of quality. Plus MMA heavyweights seem to be mostly made up of guys who weren't good enough to cut it in other sports. Just watch the fights, it's pretty low end stuff to be perfectly honest.

i shit on hw all day every day.
lhw is next cuz there really is no one left for DC.

MMA heavyweights are horrible compared to the other divisions. The only really interesting time in the heavyweight division was pride when but even then...that is tainted for obvious reasons.

I think boxing heavyweights are getting exciting now. But MMA is very very poor.

i shit on hw all day every day.
lhw is next cuz there really is no one left for DC.
And remember when LHW was the most exciting div in the UFC? Guys were fighting for that belt like crazy, for 10 years you had a new champ EVERY YEAR!
Tito
Randy
Vitor
Randy again!
Chuck
Rampage
Forrest
Evans
Machida
Shogun
... and then Jones fucked it all up. :p

Without Stipe it'd be a shit sandwich.. Ngannou is legit, maybe volkov, the rest are 1-3 years from retirement. Werdum still got legs but for how long.
Can't build a division on 3 names.
A couple of cool matches upcoming but yeh overall it's the weakest division going, just below FLW. and ignoring wmma.

As long as A-level sports provide A-Level salaries to athletes that size, HW and increasingly LHW will be shallow as fuck.

Pray that soccer doesn't really take off in the US. If so, the lower weight classes will become shallow as well.

I watch pretty much every fight, but way too many heavyweight fights turn into gassed-out slopfests after the first round. I agree that some of them are light heavyweights who just don't have the discipline to lose the fat they need to fight at that weight.

I would watch a HW fight any day over little people fighting.

Only a few stars need to align for HW to go from shitty to good.
1) N'Gannou destroys Overeem in HL reel fashion
2) Stipe stops fucking around and signs a contract.
3) DC moves up

Werdum is in the mix, and I was impressed by Tybura over the weekend. There's also Oleynik, Volkov, and (maybe?) Hunto, plus prospects like Tuivasa.

It's not as bad as it could be IMO.

Back