Does anyone else find it harder to lose yourself in a show or movie ?

One of the reasons I hated Valerian so much was because you could see the acting. That skinny chick cannot act.

You better lose yourself in the show or movie the moment you watch it, you better never turn it off. You only get one view, you better never turn turn the channel. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.
Sick Fred Durst reference bro

Early stage dementia. Your life is fucked. Welcome to lower back and leg ulcers, and choking on your own spit

I gotta agree, how you watch something is crucial. Vast majority of people watch movies with shitty setups. Its usually with the lights on, tv is far away/too small, no decent sound system, crappy network presentation of a movie where they are fast forwarding on the DVR with breaks..etc.

If you get a decent setup(which is cheaper than ever) you can really solve a lot of issues.

2500 dollars for me.

150 for 5.1 speakers, 250 for amp (scratch and dent...), 1400 for a kickass desktop that everything runs through, 400 for a 40" tv, a couple hundred for curtains and stuff like that to darken the room completely, and then some wiring and stuff. I just sit there and watch with a mouse and keyboard.

Yes, I’m less entertained by tv. I blame it on the instant gratification of my phone. I can watch a sitcom and get a couple good chuckles or go on imgur and find a meme immediately that makes me laugh.

Modern screen time is destroying all of our attention spans. Idiocracy is right around the corner.

I think it might be because the media is too accessible, so it erodes the sense of wonderment, which makes it harder to suspend your belief.

Getting up, going to galaxy cinema, or blockbuster is a small, but imo, necessary drudgery before the reward of being able to escape into a story.

But there is no pre-game ritual anymore.

Cake isn't cake if you get to it eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. It just becomes food.

I don't like fictional stuff as much as I used to. I mean I can still get into a good movie during the rare case that they actually release one but I prefer watching documentaries because it's just more interesting to me if it's real.

Man I haven't got sucked into a show like that for a long time.... last movie I can remember where I got caught up and forgot it was a movie was Prisoners.

For me I find books easier to get that effect. There are a lot of good shows around but it's getting increasingly harder to shake off the daily concerns and preoccupations, I find.

Do you purposely read books first before watching them as films? I finally picked up some Andy Weir.

I used to lose myself in tv and movies - now, I simply keep thinking, I'm watching people fake a scene that I must convince myself is real in order to pass the time.

I even get frustrated when I see a quick angle change with a prop missing or a person not in the same pose they were a split second earlier - this only enforces the fact I'm watching a scripted show.

It's quiet depressing. I remember growing up in the 90's, TV used to be my daily joy and escape. Now, I don't have cable and the little I do watch doesn't seem to impress me.

I try to watch one movie per month on average, and I rarely get through to the end. I used to love movies but i just lose interest anymore and get bored halfway through.

As far as TV, I only watch game of thrones. I can't stand sitcoms anymore.

I think this is normal, people change and I prefer to do things myself nowadays, instead of watching other men do things.

I agree. I also think CGI takes me out of the movie. Movies like Predator and Die Hard grip you because you feel it's really happening. The Justice League movie was 90% CGI so it lost me.
you pretty much summed it up right there. So few movies now have engaging stories, it's too much pushing either CGI, shock value or schtick that's meant to "appeal to everyone". So many movies I watch now have me saying "they really didn't develop much of a story" or "that felt really rushed, so we could see half a city block get digitally blown up"

Do you purposely read books first before watching them as films? I finally picked up some Andy Weir.
I try to. But I find that's probably a double-edged sword since it encourage nitpicking instead of taking the adaptation as it is for what it is.

The internet has made us all dumber, there is a reason I don't use it anymore.

I try to. But I find that's probably a double-edged sword since it encourage nitpicking instead of taking the adaptation as it is for what it is.

What books have you done that with, if you don't mind me asking?

You’ve gotta lose your self in the music, the moment, you gotta never let it go. Moms spaghetti.

I used to lose myself in tv and movies - now, I simply keep thinking, I'm watching people fake a scene that I must convince myself is real in order to pass the time.

I even get frustrated when I see a quick angle change with a prop missing or a person not in the same pose they were a split second earlier - this only enforces the fact I'm watching a scripted show.

It's quiet depressing. I remember growing up in the 90's, TV used to be my daily joy and escape. Now, I don't have cable and the little I do watch doesn't seem to impress me.

That's not a bad thing at all. Be happy about it.

Back