Does anyone else find it harder to lose yourself in a show or movie ?

Shep Proudfoot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to lose myself in tv and movies - now, I simply keep thinking, I'm watching people fake a scene that I must convince myself is real in order to pass the time.

I even get frustrated when I see a quick angle change with a prop missing or a person not in the same pose they were a split second earlier - this only enforces the fact I'm watching a scripted show.

It's quiet depressing. I remember growing up in the 90's, TV used to be my daily joy and escape. Now, I don't have cable and the little I do watch doesn't seem to impress me.

If it’s good I can get lost. But the issue is technology...if it’s not good I won’t focus and I’ll play on my phone during it etc...

If it’s good I can get lost. But the issue is technology...if it’s not good I won’t focus and I’ll play on my phone during it etc...

I agree. I also think CGI takes me out of the movie. Movies like Predator and Die Hard grip you because you feel it's really happening. The Justice League movie was 90% CGI so it lost me.

My first thought. Social media, forums, texting. It's all a distraction now. Even when I have an early night to watch TV in bed, I have an iPad and/or phone tempting me to see what's going on it the outside world and I miss stuff that's going on.

Try something real and tangible like a hobby where you use your hands such as cooking, gardening, woodworking, etc. You'll learn a valuable skill while taking up time with something that doesn't require a leap of faith or suspension of disbelief.

Not at all. In fact I get more lost in them now than ever. When I was younger I enjoyed the outside world much more than the inside. I still do but unfortunately I just don't have as much time or disposable money to be on constant outdoor adventures.

That's the main issue for me, there are some many more ways to spend your free time these days that I think a lot of people have higher standards, TV or films I would have watched back in the 90's doesn't seem work the effort today.

Try something real and tangible like a hobby where you use your hands such as cooking, gardening, woodworking, etc. You'll learn a valuable skill while taking up time with something that doesn't require a leap of faith or suspension of disbelief.
I love cooking. I can spend literally hours in the kitchen, but I'll still be checking a forum to see what everyone's chatting about every 15 minutes or so.

If its something like a Tarantino film, its easy to get lost in it.

Existential crisis phase. You'll get over it.

Wait til you start realizing how meaningless society in general is.

Not really. I can still suspend my disbelief if I enjoy the movie.

I can point out flaws in my favorite movies and still love em.

Yep I've definitely noticed my attention span shortening when it comes to movies or TV shows. Can only watch maybe an episode or two of a show even if it's good. I used to be able to binge watch GOT or Breaking Bad all day

If its a great show I am binging, I get so lost that hour long episodes feel like they last 15 fucking minutes, and the wife and I look at each other like "No... that wasn't an hour!", while we hit the watch next button....

Movies I wanna see still captivate me. New Marvel movies have me along for the entire ride and I get lost in them, good horror movies pull you in, scare the shit out of you, and don't let go as well.

As soon as a movie or show loses me though, there is no getting me back at all. I am a stubborn fuck...

You just need a man cave, surround sound, and patience to find something good. The market is saturated with play by the book shows and movies. You gotta dig to find the good shit.

You just need a man cave, surround sound, and patience to find something good. The market is saturated with play by the book shows and movies. You gotta dig to find the good shit.

The good thing is of course its easier than ever to do this, my standards for cinema might have gone up considerably in the last decade but I have no trouble finding plenty of stuff to watch that meets them.

You just need a man cave, surround sound, and patience to find something good.

I gotta agree, how you watch something is crucial. Vast majority of people watch movies with shitty setups. Its usually with the lights on, tv is far away/too small, no decent sound system, crappy network presentation of a movie where they are fast forwarding on the DVR with breaks..etc.

If you get a decent setup(which is cheaper than ever) you can really solve a lot of issues.

I agree. I also think CGI takes me out of the movie. Movies like Predator and Die Hard grip you because you feel it's really happening. The Justice League movie was 90% CGI so it lost me.

CGI is just garbage typically. Practical effects are always better. The Thing, Hellraiser, Predator

You better lose yourself in the show or movie the moment you watch it, you better never turn it off. You only get one view, do not turn the channel yo. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

Last edited:
Man I haven't got sucked into a show like that for a long time.... last movie I can remember where I got caught up and forgot it was a movie was Prisoners.

For me I find books easier to get that effect. There are a lot of good shows around but it's getting increasingly harder to shake off the daily concerns and preoccupations, I find.

Back