Does anyone else find it a little surprising...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Troy Nelson, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Troy Nelson

Troy Nelson Blue Belt

That with all of the various styles of fighting that we see in modern mixed martial arts, by far one of the most effective... Is an elite wrestling base with a powerful overhand? And what's even crazier, is I think you could make the argument it is the single MOST effective fighting style at the top level.

We've seen tons of fighters reach the upper echelon exploiting this, and little else. Woodley has clearly mastered it, incorporating distance control to bait opponents into the strike. He is brilliant at letting his opponent pressure him into a corner, which makes them predictable. He knows shots are about to come, and loads up with his back to the cage (this is exactly what Till fell for). He also uses it sparingly on offense, so his opponent gets very little feel for the speed and timing.

I'm not bashing the style, I'm just amazed that something so simple is so difficult to defeat. If I were running an MMA gym, I would farm high level wrestlers and train nothing but distance control and overhands, lol.

agibmxmma likes this.
  2. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

There's been a lot of great fighters who can wrestle and throw hard, but they tend to lose to fighters who can also wrestle and didn't everything else, too. They don't last too long at the top, assuming they get there at all.

There's exceptions, obviously. Hendo is an absolute legend and had an epic career, but he never held UFC gold.

Hotora86 and John makfresshi like this.
  3. moogie101

moogie101 Green Belt

I think it's the elite wrestling and ability to control where the fight takes place that makes the difference not the training to throw a big right hand. And only so many wrestlers of that level in mma.

Hotora86 likes this.
  4. John makfresshi

John makfresshi Wartega Train Conductor! All aboard!!

Prefect reply. Exactly the point i wanted to make was Hendo, and he had the tools but when someone can do it all, like Andy (prime) you wont reach the top. If you do, good luck staying there

5. Hotora86

Hotora86 Self-Defense Belt

Elite wrestling is an amazing skill in itself and there's nothing strange about it. Add some KO power and you potentially get a top dog.

However champions also have something else - great gameplanning, fight IQ, amazing timing or additional standup or submission skills.

Threetrees, g*r*b and agibmxmma like this.
  6. kflo

kflo Gold Belt

<mma2>

Troy Nelson likes this.
  7. chubbman

chubbman Yellow Card

Fake the TD throw the big bomb = success

Fake the big bomb shoot the TD = success

Some shit just works. Always has, always will.

g*r*b and ANIM4L like this.
  8. ANIM4L

ANIM4L Brown Belt

Scott Coker is building up Bellator signing a bunch of tough wrestlers.

9. acannxr

acannxr Brown Belt

Fighters who don't come from a wrestling background, typically fight with their hands mid level or in rarer cases have their hands down altogether (Silva comes to mind) due to the threat of the takedown, which allows the wrestler they're fighting to have success with strikes.

Prime example: Cro Cop dropped his hands expecting a takedown.
    [​IMG]

chubbman likes this.